How many singlehanded dinghy classes in the UK

General chat about boats
alan williams

Re: How many singlehanded dinghy classes in the UK

Post by alan williams »

Cats plus
Solitaire in various forms inclueding wing mast.
Lion
Spark
Nacra 18 sqm (two were known to have been imported ) I would love to find one as this is a singled handed cat that can handle a Finn sailors weight.
Felix
Sea Skater
Cheers Al
Last edited by alan williams on Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

Far too many is the short answer, who would have thought there that many lonely people or putative Garbos very happy with their own comany.
Simples.
davidh

Post by davidh »

Rod,

adding boats to the list aside, you've raised an interesting issue and one that is close to my heart (and yes, for all you mard arses out there - I do have one). Just this month I completed a multi part series in Dinghy Mag on 'the single handed scene' - starting with the small boats, Comet, Lightning ect then working all the way up to the heavy metal beasts - the Contender, Musto Skiff etc. Constraints of space meant that I was limited in the depth to which I could explore the features of some of the classes which is a shame - this is a key part of the UK dinghy sailing scene.

I think the big issue that most people forget is that in the majority of other sports it is the singleton effort that is rewarded most: we all know who won the Wimbledon mens final, but who won the doubles? Sailing conversley in the past has placed the greatest emphasis on the pairs approach... for a long time much of the machinery that ran the sport saw single handed sailing as very much the poor relation! It might have changed now with the Laser but the feeling that the twp person boats is 'where its at' can still be found! Ah well, it is just another of those fancinating little foibles that make sailing special

D
David H
MartinH

Post by MartinH »

Gremlin anyone?
Martin
Grad 2146 FOR SALE
JimC

Post by JimC »

Chaps (and chapesses) the original question was about International distribution, so please will you add the National/Internation distribution to your class lists, then I'll add them to my post...
davidh

Post by davidh »

Jim,

opps- missed that - sorry

So, a point of info for you. The ToY was indeed popular out on the continent, for a while there was even a European Championships.

D
David H
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

The Solo has spread into Holland, hasn't it? Anywhere else?
The Puffin, I fear, couldn't even claim National distribution. My garage in Swindon, my brother's in Stockport and under a few hedges at the back of boatparks, I'd think!
The French have the 320, poor souls, and the O'pen Bic thing is spreading slowly from France, I think.
Rupert
mikewillis

Post by mikewillis »

:shock: Just to say what about the British Moth I think this was the first singlehander in the uk

regards mike
Wanderer 920
ladybird
British Moth 617
davidh

Post by davidh »

Mike,

yes but no but...........

there were single handers in the UK ahead of the British Moth, after all the International 12 is a brit design.

I ocvered the class for Dinghy Sailing Mag and am doing yet another piece on the bat now for Y&Y (expect something in an issue post Xmas). The origins of the class are well documented, with a group of sailors racing on the lake in Regents Park. They were about to move out to the Brent reservior (now welsh harp) and wanted a new boat. An American lake scow was imported but did not tick all the boxes so Sidney Cheverton re-wroked the design to produce the Brent One design.

If you want a really interesting 'factoid' - for a long time the Moth was in the frame for the single handed slot at the 1948 Olympics.... until the deal was done to use the Firefly!!

But a great little boat and a perfect example of Darwinian thinking (the occupation of a niche)!

D
David H
chris

Post by chris »

didn't notice the Rooster version of the laser mentioned anywhere yet.