Mainsheets

General chat about boats
Rupert

Mainsheets

Post by Rupert »

Following on from main sheet blocks - any ideas on what non classic mainsheets are any good? I've used the rooster non tangle in the past and hated it. I have traditional 8mm 16 plait on Saskia, and it is nice, but would a lighter sheet be better on the Lightning? The sheet loads are pretty heavy upwind with the 4:1. Whats good on a Finn?!
Rupert
alan williams

Re: Mainsheets

Post by alan williams »

Hi Rupert
I've got Rooster rope on the Finn and really like it. It's certainly the best mainsheet I've ever had and was put on the boat by Brooksey.
Cheers Al
jon711

Post by jon711 »

I have Rooster rope on the Blaze, best mainsheet I've every had. You just need to make sure that you tie the loose end of the mainsheet into the boat....

No twisting, and in freezing conditions, still warm to the touch..

Jon
Graham T

Post by Graham T »

Maffioli Swiftcord - The ultimate dinghy sheet (but blooming expensive!). The sexiest bit of string on my Osprey! 8)
Graham T
Osprey 1340, Osprey 1245, Osprey 55, Miracle 1358, Laser heap, ancient Mirror kit half assembled, Project Miracle in need of decks........
Kielder Water Sailing Club
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I have the Maffoli (I think) on the Pata Finn - it oozes class and cost.

Rooster on the Raudaschl

both work really well.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I had Rooster on the Comet - maybe it works better on a centre main, but I found it twisted up more than normal rope, despite the claims.
Rupert
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

Rooster in the contender and phantom. I did try some Ronstan race sheet stuff and it was terrible - wouldn't jam in the cleat for tacking (contender) I would like maffioli but can't afford it....
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Brookesy

Post by Brookesy »

Rooster 9mm for me, put it through a cycle in the washing machine before use, make sure the twists are out before tying the dead end to something like your rear toestrap mount and you should have no twist prolems again.
I used 10mm Marlow D2 in my previous Finn which was good but the 9mm size runs through the blocks better in the light stuff and it is also much cheaper.
GBR74 ex custodian of
GBR384 Mickey Finnale (Taylor,wood)
GBR455 Rubber Duck (Taylor, grp)
FD GBR350 Supercalifragalisticexpialidocious
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

New mainsheet and ballrace blocks ordered...gulp! I went for the Rooster main in the end - I remembered the main (haha) problem with the old one was that it was too thin - 7mm was more like 6. Hopefully the 9mm will be better to hold, and about as thick as Marlow 8mm - especially the old, fluffy one I have now!
Rupert