Early International Moths

General chat about boats
davidh

Re: Early International Moths

Post by davidh »

Saturday Girl....

not thinking of building any other shapes out of strip plank cedar by any chance??????????

D
David H
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

Nigel wrote:
Rupert wrote: Would anyone build a new Uffa King N12, or a new Isca, or even a new old rules Moth, in the UK?

The latter sounds like a great garage project, but then what do you do with it?
Start with an old pintle and call it a restoration
...or maybe a golden nail?
Michael Brigg
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

Rupert as I am sure you are aware your larger cousins the keelboats have a "Spirit of Tradition" to cover just that, incidentaly the wat the Russians are back to their old cheating ways I wouldn't put it past them to build a "genuine antique".
Simples.
davidh

Post by davidh »

Now then...to show how well read that I am...........

If one reads the original version of the Slocum book on sailing alone around the world, in the very first chapter, Solcum talks about how the Spray was rebuilt in a Cherry Orchard.

But Solcum then questions if the Spray is indeed the Spray, even though she be rebuilt from the keel up. He goes on to assure us that this is indeed the case. So, if that be the case, then as long as there is something of the old boat in the new (and I would suggest that this be something structural and integral) then what that boat was - it still is. And all this from the 'Land of the Free'!!!

D
David H
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I must admit that I'm surprised there isn't a dinghy organization for the Spirit of Tradition type boats - or is there somewhere? I guess I'm more thinking of clinker built boats from the pre war traditions. A fair few of them get built new.

As for rebuilding from the keel up, I think it has been done to at least one Int 14 I can think of. Was she still the original boat? As far as I'm concerned, yes, and she was stunning to look at. Much better than the rotted hulk she started out as!
Rupert
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Which bit am I wrong about? If it is about whether a totally rebuilt boat is still the original, then our opinions can differ with neither of us being wrong, as there is no right answer.
But I will certainly defend the statement that it is better that a boat is back sailing than rotting away.
Rupert
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

It's the old story og great grandads spade still original just had four new blades and six new handles of course you can rebuild it's ridiculous to decide otherwise. But then common sense increasingly seem to be less present rather than the jealousy and bigotry which increasingly come into this vintage scene, which is the antithasis of what the founding father wanted isn't it.
Simples.