Whats in your shed?

General chat about boats
davidh

Re: Whats in your shed?

Post by davidh »

CHris,

Oh that the process was all so clear cut. In these early days the pace of change was very rapid, so the first boats were quickly being superceeded by more modern designs. Not all of the smaller Rocket class would automatically have rerigged their boats, so for an early Rocket it would have been quite possible that it stayed with the original rig set up. Then, after changing hands, some new sails are needed and are cut to fit the rig on the boat. By then however the Rocket Class per se was no more - so you have a Rocket rig on a Merlin Rocket with a No 16 on the sail......

D
David H
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

Not a Rocket Rig at all. Just cutting down the tall rig, after all the Merlin Rocket Team Racing Trophy the Topmast TRophy is just that the topmast of Geoffry Saffery-Coopers Merlin Rocket 97 Joy when he cut the rig down. As Chris has demonstrated so well you can glue a bit back on! THough many just bougyht metal masts to go back in rig height.
Simples.
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

I bought a genuine Rocket cotton mainsail off ebay no 34* from what I remember (John Cunningham who owns 36 got the cotton numbers as I wanted the sail for Gannet. However it does fit Secret Water perfectly (No 111) and indeed I sailed with it at Roadford last year matched to a jib which Chris had kindly donated to the cotton cause. As Chris said Secret Water was cut down to 21'6" so the Rocket sail suits me perfectly on both counts. I have a wooden mast awaiting me in retirement to fit to Gannet so for some events she will appear thus attired.

As a by-the-by I think that Secret Water sails much better balanced with the cotton sails than the suit I had made for her. She is slower certainly but to me a much more pleasant sail in her.
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

One other factor to consider is that up to 1959 jibs were small (And cotton ones shrunk too!) 26sq ft was not unusual, by 1960 30sq ft was a norm (29.52 sticks in my mind!) by 1968 we were at 32-33 sq ft which; I think; is where it still is but the modern Merlin Rocket Class, has until now been development averse this is changing even as I write.
Simples.
chris

Post by chris »

The Ratsey stamp say 1959, though one on the sails was measured and signed 64 (if I remember)
They came with Gently to Dick Batt when he took the boat into storage so I'm prepared to stick my neck out and say thet were always sails made for Gently. Very interested to hear all the thoughts on this though.
keithr

Post by keithr »

I shouldnt really have done this!!!

Barns

2 x Peggie no 199 in use
no 100 cold mould for renovation

2 x F/fifteen no 204 for restoration
old copland with lots of good bits for 204.

1 1936 Eccles (Caravan)

Outside 1 rotting Silhouette
Numerous trailers, metal masts.

Loft lots of sails including a full cotton gp14 and f/ly cotton ( if anyone wants these I can bring to Clywedog).

Looking after at the the club 2 x Sunbird and 2 x Challenger tri's and a Force 5.
Two Peggies 199,100,
Flying fifteen 1855,
Flying fifteen 204 (now in the barn)
Sunbird
Obscured by clouds

Post by Obscured by clouds »

Numerous trailers
you would'nt happen to have a spare one that will fit a [wideish] merlin would you? :lol:
Tony

MR 2404 Julia Dream
N18 276 Sibrwd [ongoing project]
Hirondelle catamaran Kalipse
[down to 3!]
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

Just emptying significant otyhers shed and garage prior to major building count thus far four very good 6'6" sofas five byicycles (Three still in polythene wrapping.) 4 cases of Ramanee Conte 2 of Corton Charlemagne (Forgotten about them.) Sundry cases of wed killer now banned a worm riddled Georgian Desk and 3 barb-q's. Lots of solidified paint tins, boxes of umopened wine glasses and tumbler, the pre Oulton week party should be good!
Simples.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Not sure what the wine is, but it sounds good! Certainly ride the bikes before drinking too much of it...
Rupert
STEVEB

Post by STEVEB »

Cycle race if its not windy? :D
STEVE
Mermaid 137
Laser 41420
Streaker 1331
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

The Romanee Conte should be drunk with a ooaded revolver by ones side there being little left to live for! seriosly it is great wine the residue of Beecher Moores, Parks Restaurant, which was in Beauchamp Place.
Simples.
Pat

Post by Pat »

1 1936 Eccles (Caravan)
Our neighbour up the hill is into restoring old caravans - he has even more caravans than we have boats! Currently restoring an auctioneer's caravan (pre war I believe) which used to provide a sheltered sales counter area and back office at farm markets. I just wish we had his sheds!
davidh

Post by davidh »

AG,

I told pauline about your find of the bottles of 'blushing hippocrene' (nice clue there) and explained that should one - or more of these survive the trip to Oulton, it would be one of life's great pleasures to help you enjoy them. I will supply the loaf of bread and then it can truly be a case of " A loaf of bread, a jug of wine and thou beside me in the wilderness" (Can Oulton Broad be described as the wilderness? Well, from here on the Hamble, yes, I suppose it can!!).

Pauline on the other hand said that she'd have nothing left to live for if she were to be given a taste so can I drink her share as well?

It will provide ample encouragement to the brains cells engaged in thinking about Merlin Rocket sailing!!!

D
David H
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

Yesterday the c boat went down to its own shed in Hertford, probably till the end of the year to wait for me to be able to sail it again.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World