Dream Classic Dinghy

General chat about boats
roger

Re: Dream Classic Dinghy

Post by roger »

Yet again David I have to agree. If ever I had the money to campaign and buy a plastic boat the only one would be a 5o5
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Just had another thought with alot of people responding that they already own their dream boats. Maybe I should start a new thread called lost loves. I have two regrets, the boats which are now my dream boats I sold to fund newer replacements which were not as good as the originals. Hornet 2063 Piece of Cake (which I would love to buy back ) and INT 14 Audacity which I would also buy back. Their replacements were not a patch on the these two, a brand new hitech Hornet which I could never get to go as fast as 2063(wooden wested kit boat), and a one off Int 14 which was a dog.
Cheers Cheers Al
Last edited by alan williams on Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
JimC

Post by JimC »

My first boat, Gull 1786 was stolen: I'd be interested to see that again... I'd also be interested to see Gull 1788, because I saw that advertised in YY once and I didn't hear that number was ever issued: that one would bear examination for obvious reasons!
jon711

Post by jon711 »

davidh wrote:and finally.........

a classic Merlin. In the absence of 3199, a Smokers delivers up an expereince that is as good a 'sail' as anything. Like the 505, the merlin does everything well and though 'out-moded' by the skiff revolution, is still a wonderful boat.

D
There is nothing, absoloutly nothing better to sail than a Merlin, if I am ever offered a crewing job in one, I NEVER turn it down (unless I am already sailing in one!!). They truely are a joy to helm and a joy to crew!!!

National 12's are also great, and very challenging, and much as I love 12's, I would rather sail a Merlin!!

Jon
davidh

Post by davidh »

Jon,

I think that there really is something special about sailing a middle aged merlin - I'm not sure if the more modern 'flatties' give you the same feel both upwind and down, nor do the much older, sub 6ft wide boats (the IXb and beyond) have that lovely powerful feeling to them. I'm damn sure that 1317, my old Mk XII didn't......

But jon, that said, there is still the feel of a 505 to sample - effortless upwind sailing and now, with the big kite, you can just crack off, sail deep but still be well powered up. If I had to choose between the two I think I'd self destruct, for the choice would be too hard, but in the end - the vote would have to go for the five- o......

Oh dear, drummed out of the brownies for thoughts like that!

d
David H
jon711

Post by jon711 »

davidh wrote:Jon,

I think that there really is something special about sailing a middle aged merlin - I'm not sure if the more modern 'flatties' give you the same feel both upwind and down, nor do the much older, sub 6ft wide boats (the IXb and beyond) have that lovely powerful feeling to them. I'm damn sure that 1317, my old Mk XII didn't......

But jon, that said, there is still the feel of a 505 to sample - effortless upwind sailing and now, with the big kite, you can just crack off, sail deep but still be well powered up. If I had to choose between the two I think I'd self destruct, for the choice would be too hard, but in the end - the vote would have to go for the five- o......

Oh dear, drummed out of the brownies for thoughts like that!

d
David,

Never sailed a 505, was always told that at 9.5 stone (I have no idea, what that means in Napolean units!!), I was too light!!! However would like to try one.... Probably too light for a Contender also... Good weight for the Blaze though!!!

Found the trapeze harness, looking forward to a blast!!

Jon
Steve

Post by Steve »

Rupert wrote:[However, Kathryn, my wife, is an Italian speaker, and we have been planning on a trip to Italy in 2011 - I may well try and sway her to an area where I would be able to make contact with International 12 sailors and arrange something...
Rupert: the 2011 12' Dinghy World Cup event will take place in Venice. Dates still to be confirmed but probably late May, early June. There were 93 boats at this year's event and we are confidently expecting more in Venice.
Steve Crook
Int. 12' Dinghy - NED486/SUI-4 - Einepyk
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

God, that just sounds like so much fun!

Steve, as you are following this.....and I know it is off topic....

but I was idly looking at googlemaps a while ago, studying the french banks of the lac Lemon, where Simone is always saying "Look, I found another house within easy distance of the lake and skiing....do come and look".

I tried to work out what dinghy sailing there is around this end of the lake, especially classic sailing.

Do the I12s hang out around this end of the lake.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Steve wrote:
Rupert wrote:[However, Kathryn, my wife, is an Italian speaker, and we have been planning on a trip to Italy in 2011 - I may well try and sway her to an area where I would be able to make contact with International 12 sailors and arrange something...
Rupert: the 2011 12' Dinghy World Cup event will take place in Venice. Dates still to be confirmed but probably late May, early June. There were 93 boats at this year's event and we are confidently expecting more in Venice.
Now, if that coincides with May half term...
Rupert
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

Rupert wrote:
Now, if that coincides with May half term...
28th May to 5th June 2011......(Oxfordshire and Gloucestershire)
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.