Moving Quickly Along - Merlin 950

General chat about boats
chris

Re: Moving Quickly Along - Merlin 950

Post by chris »

Hint... use some cheap brushes and throw them away. They'll be useless afterwards.
and It's worth decanting the g4 into something like an cut off plastic milk carton for use . It's not difficult to set the whole time off if it gets moisture in it.
Don't expect it to brush as nicely as varnish a few quick strokes and leave it. It doesn't like being messed with. You can use a spong roller instead of a brushbut they only last minutes each. So stock up well if you want to use them.
If the end result looks a bit messy don't worry at this stage when the end of the season arrives and you are going to put the top coats of varnish on a thoughough rub down will do it.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I've found the varnish minirollers (the very fine pile ones) last longer than the foam ones. It should go on almost like water, though (especially the 1st coat) so a brush is pretty easy.
Rupert
Stephen Hawkins

Post by Stephen Hawkins »

Well, as stated with the items wanted thread the G4 finish is a bit 'gritty'. I suspect that the deck was too hot when I applied some of the coats. And it went off to quickly and unevenly. I started at 8 in the morning with the first coat! Doh! But the boat was outside.

Recomendations?

Can I flat it off this week and put a top coat of varnish on or should I live with it and deal with it later in the year?

Not pleasant to look at, when you get up close to it. But I do have a full 4 coats on it.

Cheers

Steve H
Steve Hawkins

1967 National 12 2383 "Sparkle"
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

It sounds as if you have just got a lot of dust on it. Flat it off in a week or so and choose a cooler day for top coating. The rule of thumb that I have used is to get the G4 coats to the point where they are glossy ie the wood is well soaked into. Then start the traditional varnish coats. It's incredible how much dust there is outside when it is dry. Pollen levels are high, dust swirls around and insects are attracted by varnish without a doubt. It can be a nightmare.
Stephen Hawkins

Here are some pictures:

http://www.suraklyn.com/r65_forum_galle ... cat=10013/

Hopefully it'll work.

But here is a picture below - but I will have to pull it in a day or so - its to big really
Attachments
DSC00144.JPG
(69.13 KiB) Downloaded 127 times
Last edited by Stephen Hawkins on Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Hawkins

Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

Re Garry's point, the old advice on varnishing was to varnish at or very near dawn when the dew was still on the ground on a still morning as near midsummer as you could, that way no dust, a cool temperature to apply in, and the all important rising temperature for it to dry in. Doesn't seem to matter much how cool it is when you apply it but the temperature should (Like rhubarb.) rise.
Simples.
Stephen Hawkins

I can appreciate the dust and insects, I was pulling them out with tweezers between coats. But this is not just dust. Its too bad for that. And the stuff was going of so quickly the insects only had 20 mins to find the boat and to get themselves attached to it.

Too hot on Sunday - but at least the first coat got a chance to soak in, it being done before 8 am. Should have got up at dawn!

Steve Hawkins
Steve Hawkins

Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Wouldn't be the cause of the bumps.....but I would say that we must of been pretty close to being too hot to varnish in this w/end. Or rather its not that you can't varnish, but rather that you have to be so damn good at it, that you can do it right, first time, fast as there is no going back at all.

Can be worthwhile using a wet-edge extender (owatrol?) or a little more thinners than you would and double the coats.

Anyway, looks good

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it