Insurance - Merlin Rocket - Oh dear!

General chat about boats
Stephen Hawkins

Insurance - Merlin Rocket - Oh dear!

Post by Stephen Hawkins »

All,

I just rang Newton Crum, who I have both my other dinghy's insured with, only to be told that they will not insure a Merlin Rocket, irrespective of age. Probably too many broken carbon masts.

So I looked at the web, and found another web based insururer and was quoted £85, which I thought was a bit steep.

So with whom do people insure their classic Merlin Rockets with?

Cheers

Steve Hawkins
Steve Hawkins

1967 National 12 2383 "Sparkle"
Garry R

Re: Insurance - Merlin Rocket - Oh dear!

Post by Garry R »

My two are £120 ish - I have put a £1500 value on one of them £1000 on the other and then the trailer on top. That's with Bishop Skinner. I do have a no-claims discount however. It would be good to get an opinion from someone who has had a claim as that experience is important as to whom you might choose.
Stephen Hawkins

I have just had a quote of £51.00 from another insurer, Towergate Mardon.

I will try Bishop Skinner shortly, by telephone, but their online quote was £85 - just done this and they have amended their quote to £123!

I have been insuring cheap/slow boats and of course I was slightly ill-prepared for insuring the Merlin, even though I have only quoted its value as £500.

Cheers

Steve H
Steve Hawkins

Pat

Post by Pat »

I use Bishop Skinner but pay that price for two boats and double and single trailers. Sounds like that 500 was taken as 5 thousand but £1000 would be a better value. Try phoning direct and tell them your previous claim history (no claims in xxx years???), Bishop Skinner will discount for RYA etc.
Also check cover level. One broker (not Bishop Skinner) is cheap because it doesn't cover racing, which these days usually requires the 2 mllion third party liability.
If you have more than one boat another can often be added to existing policies at a discount - they reckon you are unlikely to sail both at once! You'll need to phone though as the web can't usually cope with that.
Stephen Hawkins

I have just Insured with Towergate Mardon on their Gold policy. This covers towing, racing both at club and open events.

[urlhttp://www.towergatemardon.co.uk/dinghy-insurance.aspx][/url]

I initially found this link via the RYA site.

It would seem that the Merlin Rocket has now moved up to Group 5 and quotes are being adjusted accordingly by many insurers. When I spoke to Bishop Skinner I was told it has gone up due to too many Carbon mast breakages and that even though I did not have one, I was going to be paying for it......Or not.

Steve Hawkins
Steve Hawkins

Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

Sadly it's the claim for everything culture, especially prevalent in the Merlin Class often posted and boasted on their web site, which has put premiums up, underwriters do read web sites too, frankly third party only is a practical way to go, for low value boats, unless like Garry you are a careful chap!
Simples.
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

Try this no idea if its any good.
http://www.insuremyboat.co.uk/?mkcode=g ... 4wod8iA36g
There are several past and present Merlin Rocket Sailors who insure racing dinghies and sadly for the premiums do understand the risk!
Simples.
Pat

Post by Pat »

Having just heard that we're getting the pay freeze from this August until August 2013, I only hope insurers and clubs will keep their prices down. It applies to DEFRA too Roger :(
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

Insurers like evryone else have a business to run and if costs of repairs, replacements and value increase as inflation rises (It is on an accelerating curve across the world.) and claims frequency rises then premiums will rise too.
Doubtless clubs will be sensative to their members situations and hopefully if Cameron succeeds in getting rid of the Health and Safety culture as he has said he will premiums for clubs may even go down.
My vetinary and farming connections tell me they are hopeful that some of the more ridiculous regulations and innovations from DEFRA will be cut. I hope that Roger does not get cut, he has after all, got that Hornet to rebuild!
Simples.
Obscured by clouds

Post by Obscured by clouds »

Ancient Geek wrote:Try this no idea if its any good.
http://www.insuremyboat.co.uk/?mkcode=g ... 4wod8iA36g
There are several past and present Merlin Rocket Sailors who insure racing dinghies and sadly for the premiums do understand the risk!
I was quoted £36 for MR 2404 [value with trailer £700] third party no racing cover. fair enough IMO. I don't do much racing these days and was never one for pushing the port/starboard argument too far :twisted:

and £32 for 6 months inc. club racing [silver cover] or £36 [gold cover]- very reasonable
Tony

MR 2404 Julia Dream
N18 276 Sibrwd [ongoing project]
Hirondelle catamaran Kalipse
[down to 3!]
roger

Post by roger »

sorry way off topic self moderated.

Roger
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353