Bought a boat last night...

General chat about boats
Rupert

Bought a boat last night...

Post by Rupert »

...but it doesn't have a sail - it is a 13' 9" Selway Fisher built open canoe. Needs sanding, painting and varnishing, and then needs a mast step put in and rigging for sailing, of course!
Rupert
chris

Re: Bought a boat last night...

Post by chris »

Wot no sail?

Shearwater now has a splinter group of a few with canoes of various sorts - we go off regularly (once a year) Welcome to join us.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Thanks Chris, I'll keep that in mind. I'm trying to decide whether to put a proper sailing rig on or just one for down wind - a Mirror spinnaker, maybe?
Rupert
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

A bit of quiet inspiration for you.
Here's a rig drawing, good luck with it.
The last present I bought my ex wife (2nd) was abeautiful Rob Roy Canoe made in cedar veneer with an amazing rolled edge to the cockpit and a rig rudder n everything I found it in a boatyard on the Broads sadly she's left before i got it home!
Attachments
robroy.JPG
(101.14 KiB) Downloaded 300 times
Simples.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Go Lateen....you know it makes sense.

Seriously, good downwind, lower turning moment than most other stuff, easily stowable, and can be made from flat material so no expensive sailmaking.

Bamboo spars, some market fabric - ultra cheap
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

I think nigel is right the Indian in Cochin do just that on their narrow canoes using Blue Plastic tarpaulin as sail cloth look like a fleet of Enterprises with the rigs turned through 90 degrees, confusing when the local Enterprise Fleet is racing as well!
Simples.
cweed

Post by cweed »

The BCU Canoe and K ayak Handbookhas a chapter on canoe sailing,, (as well as a chapter on International Canoe sailing) which gives some ideas and pictures on arranging steering and leeboards etc. The rig doesn't need to be substantial for downwind propulsion. An Oppie rig or similar might suffice, or a small defunct sailboard rig?
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I have a Lateen sail I'm half thinking of using - trouble is, it has SNARK written across it! Some of the rigs in the book about Rushton canoes are amazing. The Open sailing canoe group have a wealth of ideas, too.
Mainly, if I can get the canoe looking great, I want a rig that doesn't muck up the look. Bamboo may well be a classic answer.
Rupert
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Maybe use the Snark rig as a trial. If you like it, make it out of bamboo etc. If not, adjust it up/down in size as appropriate
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

Use the Snark Rig and name the canoe "Boojum" or even "Toasted Cheese".
Simples.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

This will make it go.....£30 - bargin :D

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/catamaran-mast-31 ... 255b99a462
chris

Post by chris »

Rupert, I have a book on Victorian boating. The first chapters tells of Halkett's boat-cloak of 1844 it is an inflatable canoe that can also be worn as a cloak - that's before you inflate it, before you ask! It can be paddled with a paddle that doubles as a walking stick or sailed with the other accessory: the umbrella. There's a lovely engraving showing him happily sailing along, umbrella in one hand set like a spinnaker, using the paddle in the other hand for steering. Very splendid he looks too,complete, of course with top hat! Now if anyone turns up wearing such a canoe that would give the handicap committe something to ponder.
roger

Post by roger »

chris wrote:Rupert, I have a book on Victorian boating. The first chapters tells of Halkett's boat-cloak of 1844 it is an inflatable canoe that can also be worn as a cloak - that's before you inflate it, before you ask! It can be paddled with a paddle that doubles as a walking stick or sailed with the other accessory: the umbrella. There's a lovely engraving showing him happily sailing along, umbrella in one hand set like a spinnaker, using the paddle in the other hand for steering. Very splendid he looks too,complete, of course with top hat! Now if anyone turns up wearing such a canoe that would give the handicap committe something to ponder.

Pics please Chris. I think Rupert will look rather good with brolly and top hat
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

It all sounds a bit Phinneas Fogg. I must get a copy of that book - title, auther, ISBN please :lol:
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Must be Whitefriars. Rupert in top hat with DH's MR in the background
boatcloak2.jpg
(36.52 KiB) Downloaded 98 times