Gooseneck for a 'Vagabond' wanted wooden dinghy by Jack Holt

General chat about boats
dinghyboy

Gooseneck for a 'Vagabond' wanted wooden dinghy by Jack Holt

Post by dinghyboy »

I am lucky to own a Vagabond (By Jack Holt). Fantastic fun, nice size sail area for a brisk sail and has a strong stern for my 2.5hp outboard when there is no wind.
I have owned it for two years and have thoroughly enjoyed sailing it around Chichester Harbour. Unfortunately, when out for a sail in a strong wind the bronze mast gaff bracket broke and the sail came crashing down. I managed to drift and paddle to a bouy, tied up and reassessed the situation. As I was taking in the sails and tucking things away to row back I heard a splash only to find the sliding gooseneck had fallen in the water.(It took me over an hour to row back to Dell Quay which was only a quarter of a mile away. The problem being the wind was blowing against me as well as the tide going out. Every time I stopped for a rest I drifted back further. It was the best work out I had had for years!).
Anyway. I have searched everywhere for a replacement. There are a few on the market but I have not seen the exact one. The chandlers I have tried will order me one but if it does not fit they will not exchange it for another.
I would be grateful if anyone has a spare one or knows a chandlers close to Chichester that has the right one.
Pat

Re: Gooseneck for a 'Vagabond' wanted wooden dinghy by Jack

Post by Pat »

Having lost our sliding gooseneck off the mast on the M6 on route to the Forth, we've found that they're as rare as hen's teeth - we had to rob one of our Larks to get a replacement and that will have to have a fixed gooseneck.
Boat jumbles are the best bet but we've yet to find the right fitting. But we do now have a long mast bag for travelling.
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
STEVEB

Post by STEVEB »

Hi,
is this for a wood or alloy mast? :?:
STEVE
Mermaid 137
Laser 41420
Streaker 1331
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

A photo of one would be good (obviously not off your boat!) - there are so many different types.
dinghyboy

Post by dinghyboy »

Thanks for the replys. It is for a wooden mast! I did take down the measurements afew months ago, however I have lost them now but will remeasure and add photos of the alloy track on the mast and the bronze gaff fitting when I can.