Easter 'Guess the Boat' competition

General chat about boats
chris

Easter 'Guess the Boat' competition

Post by chris »

I've just picked up a new restoration project so I thought another guess the boat quiz for easter to identify it. First person to PM me with the Class, designer, year built and name of the boat will be awarded with a pint at the Nationals at Bough Beech.
Two clues and a photo to start.
1 All you need is on this site.
2 the centreboard slot is 3'4" long.
aaa.JPG
chris

Re: Easter 'Guess the Boat' competition

Post by chris »

some more facts..
But the board is 5'7" long.
The original rules stated that the mast must be no more than 15' 6" above the water line.
65 x 110 = 7150 ( approx) See you! But that's 65 more than MR507 and I go up at 4.
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

Oh I love these competitions! No idea at all yet though!
chris

Post by chris »

I meant to add another photo. here it is...
bbb.JPG
chris

Post by chris »

Hope you are not board yet... so here are some boards...one is from this boat the rest are not. Don't forget the slot is only 3'4" long, but don't be fooled! Apparently the hull of a modern one weighs less than the 'board' of the ealiest ones.
Many happy returns to the designer in 12 days time. No wonder you didn't have time to make this boat as well as design it as you were too busy building all Iska's sisters.
I come down at 1.
boards.JPG
JimC

Post by JimC »

Well, its got loads of rocker, and with that low front to the centreboard case I would guess its got to be early 50s at the latest. The text makes us assume development class, and that little lot (or that much rocker) could surely never have been in a Cherub so we must be talking Merlin, I14 or 12.
With all the rocker I think I favour an early National, but to try and pin down designers I'll wait for more...
chris

Post by chris »

I like your thinking Jim. if you got my slightly criptic formula above it will tell you which to choose.
65 x 110 = 7150 ( approx) See you! (Hint: change 'See you' to Cu.)
chris

Post by chris »

This boat was the subject of a forum thread last year.
The designer was 34 when this was built and was mentioned at the dinghy show.
Two pictures today because my grandchildren wanted to help. Full answer tomorrow, . ( no one has it fully correct yet).
tttt.JPG
chris

Post by chris »

and finally...
ssss.JPG
(23.33 KiB) Not downloaded yet
davidh

Post by davidh »

Hi Chris,

am being very good and sitting on my hands.... I want to be putting my hand up and say 'me Sir' but for once am being good - as you pointed out, this had a mention at the show and I could be deemed to have insider information.
Am looking forward to seeing more pictures though.....

A great 'competition' - I'm enjoying it!

D
David H
billytwiglet

Post by billytwiglet »

Aww - go on; stick it up anyway (you can always be dsq following a protest later!)
Merlin 36
Merlin 220
Merlin Rocket 3137
Finn K95
chris

Post by chris »

Billy Twiglet might have some insider information!
chris

Post by chris »

14yyy.JPG
chris

Post by chris »

Well I owe a pint to Rupert and Pat, Well Done.

International 14 ‘Blue Peter’ assumed to be no 483 designed by Jack Holt built in 1946. Several features certainly support this.

The original ( 1923 or 9 was it?) International 14 rules stated that the mast must be no more than 15 ft. 6 ins above the water line. (That was gaff rigged of course)
65 ribs and I counted 55 copper nails in just one half rib on one side, so at a rough estimate over 7000 copper nails clenched plus a double line with roves down the hog.

The long centreboard with short slot is because the board rolls up and forward. It is not pivoted. A typical Holt favourite at that time.

The flag P, Blue Peter, goes up at 4 and down at 1 minute. Plus there were some give away flags and the Blue Peter badge to be seen in a couple of shots.

Jack Holt designer. If you hadn’t noticed it was his centenary then where were you? Well certainly not at the dinghy show.
This is the boat that was in Norfolk and John C has decided he wants to pass it on, (rather reluctantly I think!) he has two other boats queuing for his attention It needs quite a lot of work!
14zzz.JPG
14xx.JPG
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Fascinating looking boat - in detail, very different from the Uffa boats of the time. Looks like you've got your work cut out on this project, though? Or is she a walk in the park compared to Gently?
Rupert