Plea for a volunteer skipper in the Lake District

General chat about boats
MerlinMags

Plea for a volunteer skipper in the Lake District

Post by MerlinMags »

Some of you will remember this project from the days of the auction. Please forgive me asking for a favour...

A small dinghy called 'Swallow', which once starred in the 1974 film of Swallows and Amazons, is now available for anyone to try cruising in the vintage style and we have delighted many Arthur Ransome fans since 2011, sailors and non-sailors. 'Swallow' relies on volunteer skippers to take out novices who wish to try sailing, but we are running short of skippers this summer, and getting a bit worried about keeping the project going at full capacity.

The aims of our association hopefully align well with the CVRDA (apart from lack of racing), and I believe most sailors would find them admirable: to get more people afloat, enjoying sail propulsion, to explore and relish our waterways. I located enough experienced sailors last year to have Swallow tour the country, taking over 300 people aboard....but as we are basing her solely in the Lake District for this year I'm finding it harder to track people down!

Would any sailors within a reasonable drive of Windermere/Coniston/Ullswater be interested in helping out? It would be for a single day in July/August/September. It is great fun to impart some of your sailing knowledge to a novice, as well as give a family a lovely experience. You also get to learn the knack of tacking a long-keel dinghy!

Photos and more can be seen at http://www.sailransome.org

Thanks for your time.
Magnus - email via link above
Last edited by MerlinMags on Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MartinH

Re: Plea for a volunteer skipper in the Lake District

Post by MartinH »

Magnus,

I have passed this on to my daughter who will be back up in Lancaster from late July for until early September. She does not have her own transport, how difficult is it to get there by public transport?
Martin
Grad 2146 FOR SALE
MerlinMags

Post by MerlinMags »

Thanks Martin. If she emails me we can have a chat about how to get involved and what she'd like to do.
Lovely to have your support, thanks!
info (at) sailransome.org

I've managed to find 2 others so far, but would still appreciate more people getting in touch; that way we can cope with the inevitable mismatch with availability and events....
Bosun

Post by Bosun »

Topic was passed to me by Martin. Looks interesting. I have a few days spare in late August and early September.
Where is it likely to be, is a camp site available?
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

You'll need to contact Magnus
Photos and more can be seen at http://www.sailransome.org

Thanks for your time.
Magnus - 07854 803365 or email via link above
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith