Rupert

Re: The worst classic dinghy.

Post by Rupert »

Yep, we'd all be raving on about them.
Rupert
chris

Post by chris »

Obscured by clouds wrote:Never taken to the GP14. somehow 'Jeep' seems to sum them up to me. I know lots like them, but I cannot see the attraction.

having to PRO their championships one year settled it for me. never met such a snotty bunch either before or since. The Hornet crew were much much nicer.
I know a man with 1.5 Hornets and one GP where does that put him on the snotty scale?
appologies to Roger!
roger

Post by roger »

chris wrote:
Obscured by clouds wrote:Never taken to the GP14. somehow 'Jeep' seems to sum them up to me. I know lots like them, but I cannot see the attraction.

having to PRO their championships one year settled it for me. never met such a snotty bunch either before or since. The Hornet crew were much much nicer.
I know a man with 1.5 Hornets and one GP where does that put him on the snotty scale?
appologies to Roger!
No offence taken Chris.

Fancy a beer to discuss the half hornet(among other things) one evening? tomorrow or thursday?
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Obscured by clouds

Post by Obscured by clouds »

Hmmm I should have added some smilies to my comments on Jeep sailors !!
Tony

MR 2404 Julia Dream
N18 276 Sibrwd [ongoing project]
Hirondelle catamaran Kalipse
[down to 3!]
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I think that one of my problems with the GP 14 is that I'm short, and I find sitting out rather uncomfortable, and not very effective. I can't say I've sailed in a GP fleet, so can't comment on the snootyness! Not sure it would trickle down to ones held together with a lick and a prayer, anyway...

Watch out for Roger after he's done her up, though - his nose will be right in the air!
Rupert
roger

Post by roger »

with a nose as long as mine it will have snow on the top. :shock:
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
trebor

Post by trebor »

apologies for being a bit dim, did not get CVR MDMA?
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia
http://www.aquabatdinghy.co.uk
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

trebor wrote:apologies for being a bit dim, did not get CVR MDMA?
A play on Rupert's imagined future CVRMDA, (Classic Vintage Roto-Moulded Dinghy Assotiation (as if!)

Adding an "M" to the acronym make MDMA, the abbreviated Chemical name for what they use in Raves. Hence the "Ecstatic" comments...

Sorry, Its a bit weak. I was feeling flippant. :roll:
Michael Brigg
davidh

Post by davidh »

Oh dear.........I got the joke and thought it brill (what does that say about my thought processes??) and it gave me a hohoho moment. I then started along all sorts of parallel thoughts and was going to ask you Michael if in absence of other good woodworking terminology you'd care to comment on the use of the material to make joints (tenon, tongue and groove etc)! Think we should stop there!!

D
David H
MartinH

Post by MartinH »

To get back on topic (mmm... Topic) I can't say I have ever sailed a "proper" classic dinghy that I would never sail again. However, I learnt to sail in a wooden Optimist in 1969/70 and even then it seemed old and cranky. Maybe it was me and not the boat but I once the wind got up enough to make sailing exciting I couldn't point to windward decently and found myself slowly disappearing downwind.
Martin
Grad 2146 FOR SALE
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

I couldn't stand sailing the Bonito for much the same reasons - no pointing, in fact hardly any progress to windward at all. her indoors loved it though, so did the lady who nhad it from her, so much so she's even replaced it with another newer one.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
trebor

Post by trebor »

Thanks Michael for clearing up joke, did not know chemical symbols for ecstasy, never read news papers, never watch news, I should think people who use it probably do not know either and probably get on a high about that.
I once sailed a brand new aft rigged wayfarer, when I turned on to a reach, in very windy and wet conditions, it took off like a fairground ride, frightened the life out of me.
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia
http://www.aquabatdinghy.co.uk
Hotspur

Post by Hotspur »

My old scout group had two boats called Ladybirds. I don't know old they were but they must have been at least 10 years old at the time and this was 20 years ago. They were dreadful, flat bottomed things built from half-inch thick chopped strand mat and with no side-decks. They were overweight, chronically undercanvassed, and had the hydrodynamics of furniture. Moreover, when they capsized, they had a tendency to sink. I had a suspicion they were actually novelty boat-shaped bathtubs.

My all time least-favourite classic is the Snipe. I crewed one once in a European Championship and found them to be nasty in most respects. The worst feature was the ingenious design of the foredeck and breakwater which was perfectly shaped to direct a constant stream of saltwater right into crew's eyes. When capsized, which due to the stupidly unstable hull form was fairly frequent, the steel daggerboard would fall out and the crew would have to dive under the hull, try not to get tangled in the mainsheet, and force the board back up the slot before drowning. The helmsman was abusive and offensive. Terrible boat.
Visit my blog Naval Air History at navalairhistory.com
MartinH

Post by MartinH »

Hotspur wrote:My old scout group had two boats called Ladybirds. I don't know old they were but they must have been at least 10 years old at the time and this was 20 years ago. They were dreadful, flat bottomed things built from half-inch thick chopped strand mat and with no side-decks. They were overweight, chronically undercanvassed, and had the hydrodynamics of furniture. Moreover, when they capsized, they had a tendency to sink. I had a suspicion they were actually novelty boat-shaped bathtubs.
Hotspur
you have just reminded me of the Coypus class which most of the Sea Scout Groups (except ours) around the Solent had in the 70s. Most would have been 10 to 20 years old even then. They were just as you describe the Ladybird. Designed for pulling, 2 oar or 4 oar, single or double banked, sailing or would take a Seagull 2HP. The jib was so small that it made little difference how you set it. The only difference from the Ladybird was they were round bilged. Details of the Coypu are in the database here: http://www.cvrda.org/wp-cvrda/?dinghydata=coypu
Martin
Grad 2146 FOR SALE
SoggyBadger

Post by SoggyBadger »

One of our local sailing clubs uses Coypus as training dinghies. I made some new sails for 4 of them a couple of seasons ago and was asked to increase the size of the jib. Apparently they sail much better now. The club's Commodore even claims to have got one planing on a windy day!
Best wishes

SB