Birkett Memorial Trophy

General chat about boats
Nessa

Birkett Memorial Trophy

Post by Nessa »

Is anyone going this year? Is it a suitable race for a classic 14 and nervous/reluctant crew?
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
chris

Re: Birkett Memorial Trophy

Post by chris »

A couple of years ago I took merlin 507 and Pat and Tim were there with 1066, We all had a good time and they mentioned that it was good to see some classics at the prizegiving. There are about 200 boats on the start line and these include everything from tiny sailing canoes to smallish yachts. That's quite scary in an old boat but we played safe a bit. There are plenty of fast boats being sailed very well and quite a mixture too.
I was very pleased to have gone but I'm not sure about doing it again mostly because we don't have the stamina for a long race these days! But certainly a great event.
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

Its also a long race so not ideal until you've got some experience, I needed all the pain killers I could find after a 5 mile beat in the Finn.
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
Pat

Post by Pat »

I'd recommend you do it in a modern boat first rather than Aggie, just for the experience. When we did it the weather at the lower end really blew up and we were glad of the robust plastic Albacore.
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
JB9

Post by JB9 »

I have not done the event though would like to. Having sailed a classic 14 with Chris at Hunts this year I would say the scenario you describe is not ideal. As has been suggested I would go for a more modern and perhaps comfortable design the first time.
Harrier 25
505 7163
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

Looks like we will give it a miss. A shame as I had almost persuaded her indoors to sail with me!
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
JimC

Post by JimC »

Fine event. But your boat needs to be super reliable. If you get a gear failure once in every 5 races you have an excellent chance of having one 5 miles from home...
roger

Post by roger »

I have done the Birkett several times. Its a fantastic event but the scariest of starts. Would I take Shoestring? Only if I started well behind the fleet. Keep a good lookout for boats that don't seem to have a clue about port and starboard and as Jim says be sure to make sure she wont break. The weather can turn quite quickly.

Having said that it is the best event ever. A 7 mile three sail plane down the lake. Wonderful atmosphere and well organised. It is one of those bucket list events that you must do at least once.

If it was nearer home and not six hours away I would do it every year,.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353