More help needed please

General chat about boats
Colin D Smith

More help needed please

Post by Colin D Smith »

I have to say Thanks again for the fab help that I'm getting on this forum and I'm sorry if its all take take take at the moment. I hope that will change soon.
This is a pic of the swing keel on my Falcon. I have just stuck some rope around some pulleys to keep it from rubbing on the ground. It's a big heavy thing! with a big slot. When the boat was on its side I slid it in. When I bought the boat it was sitting on the seats so I have no idea how to rig it to make it swing with ease.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/134372311 ... 793083245/

Thankyou in advance.

Kind regards
Colin
Stephen Hawkins

Re: More help needed please

Post by Stephen Hawkins »

Cant help you with the falcon, but that's a nice tidy Airhead you got there. I have an R100 myself,

Cheers

Steve Hawkins
Steve Hawkins

1967 National 12 2383 "Sparkle"
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

I think that what you have done is probably enough. It is the same purchase as most Finns have and their board is also heavy. If it is not then you will have to add another moving block each side. You would need to move the cleats twice as far back, or, have the lifting rope on one side only.

I would strongly urge you to add something to keep the board down! It sound counter intuitive, until you consider the event when should your boat ever invert, the CB will fall into the slot with a mighty bang - enough to cause damage and certainly enough to hurt any one in the way. This can be a single line dropped into a cleat on the back of the case. You should of course release this just before approaching known shallow water.
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.
Colin D Smith

Post by Colin D Smith »

Stephen Hawkins wrote:Cant help you with the falcon, but that's a nice tidy Airhead you got there. I have an R100 myself,

Cheers

Steve Hawkins
Thanks Steven, She's a 1980 R100RS . I took the fairing off last year as the cradle was bent. Yep great old bikes!
Colin D Smith

Post by Colin D Smith »

https://www.flickr.com/photos/134372311 ... 501100570/

I have put together a 4 to 1 complex pulley system which works great . The only thing I need to do is move the anchor point forward so that the moving pulley has more room to move I think it would be a good idea to put a swivel on it as well.
Adding something to the board to keep it down sounds like a smart idea ipa. I am also going to put a wire to keep it in the up position.
Any ideas would be most welcome.
Regards
Colin
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

I would suggest that until you are sailing regularly the best place for the plate is out of the boat. Easier to move it (the boat) around, and the plate can be treated to some Jenolite or similar rust treatment and painted (hammerite or similar) as it will rust like crazy otherwise and make a big mess of anything it touches.

Better still get an aluminium one (probably the same as a firefly) for day to day use or club racing as the steel will rust and make a mess of the interior of your plate case.

Also if you are trailing I would suggest you remove the plate for the same reasons. Wrap it in an old rug and put it in the back of the car. The trailer has far less soft suspension than a car and when you hit what might seem a small pot hole the stress/jolt on the plate pin is enormous quite apart from the bearing points of the hull on the trailer. The falcon is surprisingly light in construction and that 50lb steel plate will amount to nearly 20% of the boat weight if you leave it in!

If you do leave it in, there may be a Trailing pin / hole in the back of the plate case, to hold the bottom end of the plate when it is not in use.
Michael Brigg