New (old) boat advice

General chat about boats
jules22

New (old) boat advice

Post by jules22 »

I am going to start sailing on on the tidal part of the river severn near the bridges so need something a bit bigger and heavier, add to this I have just joined the DCA and plan to start cruising in company next year.

I will be sailing with my 12 year old daughter and want something that we could get our camping gear in too !.

I have considered tideways and yw dayboats so far, but would love to hear your views on anything else we should be looking at.

Thanks. J
Rupert

Re: New (old) boat advice

Post by Rupert »

Twinkle 12, maybe?

The Wanderer would be the choice for something more like most of us are used to sailing.
Rupert
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

Do you want to sleep in the boat or ashore? I imagine on the Bristol Channel you'll either be camping ashore or in the dinghy with it pulled ashore. In which case most dinghies are suitable with some consideration. The only boat I've owned that I haven't cruised in is a Laser, I've slept in a Finn anchored and camped ashore from one. My brother also carried camping gear in his OK (although I might have carried most of it). My lark too was fine for cruising, once I'd put a reef in the sail, faster and lighter than many other more cruising orientated boats. So my view is that nearly all dinghies can make good cruisers if you want them to but reefs are necessary on most. Many will tell you that only Wanderers and Wayfarers are suitable but both are much heavier and slower than many other dinghies. The most important thing is to learn seamanship and know your limits.
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
roger

Post by roger »

I am a big fan of the GP14 for messing about in boats. My father had a set of gull sails he used when taking the grandchildren out. Firefly sails would work as well.
Stable and plenty of room for all the kit. A bit heavy though.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

And the GP is pretty cheap compared to the rivals, really. Just doesn't do it for me on the looks front.
Rupert
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

For camping /cruising and a range of sails (Main, jib Spinnaker etc., how about a Fairey Falcon. Roomy, deep cockpit if you want to tuck out of the way of the weather / spray. good up wind (pointing) ability, good for short tacking up the tide, moulded construction so strong but lightweight.

As a boy I was a neighbour of the Curry family in Chichester Harbour. A Fairey Falcon, with a range of different size fairey sails was Bobby (Roberta) Curry's choice for her sailing instructor business.

Michael Brigg
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

I would jsut add that if you are going to sail witht he CDA get something like they sail - otherwise you will always be struggling to keep up or to not capsize.. So that does somewhat limit your choice if you also want to race sometimes.

There is very little wrong with the wafarer or wanderer as cruising boats, and both can be raced well too - not that a cruising set up W will race very well (neither will the other way round be nice to cruise in).
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.
jules22

Post by jules22 »

Thanks all for your replies, some good suggestions. :D

I should add that this dinghy will not be raced !, just sailed/cruised/camped in and generally had fun in.

A stable comfortable boat is the aim and ideally an old wooden one

What is the considered wisdom of changing a wooden centerboard to a metal one ?, to make a lighter dinghy heavier and more stable.

Cheers. J
trebor

Post by trebor »

Hi Jules,
I asked a similar question a couple of months ago, here is a link to it.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5763
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia
http://www.aquabatdinghy.co.uk
jules22

Post by jules22 »

Update: I have ended up with a lovely little 12' Heron from 1952 (Thanks to Pat and Sandy who saved it :D )

Plan is to make front and rear buoyancy/storage tanks with big hatches, that are easily removed from the hull with screws.

She will wear a hybrid rig of original heron mast with 1964 mirror gaff, boom and mirror sails with reefing points, homemade roller jib furler to finish off.

I intend to cruise her next summer throughout the south west, which is apparently what her builder and owner of the last sixty years used to do.

Just picked up a caravan awning from freecycle and will turn it into a boom tent.

She is in the dry now and work starts over xmas when I get 2 weeks off, happy days! . :D

Cheers. J