General chat about boats
bornagainmothie

Re: TV series coming soon

Post by bornagainmothie »

All 6 episodes are now available on iplayer
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

I had no idea Coracles were so appealing! I will go to the museum next time I am passing on the way to Dolgellau. If episode one is a good one to judge the series by, this is being done to very high standards - entertaining, informative and accessible.
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.
Tony4488

Post by Tony4488 »

Following the recent EISCA auction, I've been left with a Plymouth Duck Punt which I am keen to rehome. She was on permanent load to EISCA, has been abandoned by the liquidators and ideally should go back to the Plymouth area or Northumberland (where the first owner, whom I believe to be Abel Chapman [see Wikipedia], came from).

It's not the normal question for such a forum but, given the TV show, would there be any interest in adding her to a museum? She'll be stored here until a proper home can be found . . . . . but again on permanent loan as family members may like the option to have her back.
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

Loved the first one on Thames barges. I sailed on Marjorie in 1968 for a week with Jim Lawrence as the skipper, amazing he's still going! I also sailed across to Ostend on a converted lifeboat with another barge skipper who was in his 80s but could still tell when he was off Long Sand Head by the shape of the waves, at night!
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
NorfolkNick

Post by NorfolkNick »

I have not had a chance to see any of these yet, overseas and BBC iPlayer does not let me view, so much for paying the licence fee!
Does the episode on punts cover the development of the Norfolk Punt sailing dinghy from the gun punt?
International 14 #85.
realnutter

Post by realnutter »

NorfolkNick wrote:I have not had a chance to see any of these yet, overseas and BBC iPlayer does not let me view, so much for paying the licence fee!
Does the episode on punts cover the development of the Norfolk Punt sailing dinghy from the gun punt?
Yes, it does.... Not in much detail though...
Matt

Int Moth K2992
davidh

Post by davidh »

Nick,

I am not sure how they went about the construction of all the material, in some things they almost had an excess of detail, some of it extraneous to the topic, other bits that might have been worth further expansion were glossed over.

There is talk of a second series, I hope so for they've some really good ideas. If it does happen I may be involved from earlier on, as some of the topics that they're interested in map on to work that I've been doing elsewhere - the British Powerboat Company at Hythe, Scott-Paine (not forgetting Aircraftsman Shaw aka Lawrence of Arabia: one link up there is the subject of high speed Air Sea Rescue launches, which of course was Ian Proctor's life during wartime).

Let's keep fingers crossed that there is sufficient interest for at least a second series, for there is enough material out there for this to run longer than East enders!

D
David H
jules22

Post by jules22 »

NorfolkNick wrote:I have not had a chance to see any of these yet, overseas and BBC iPlayer does not let me view, so much for paying the licence fee!

Nick.
I heard from a friend who spends alot of time overseas working that you need to buy/download something that hides your IP address, this way the BBC don't know which country you are in and accesss to iplayer is no problem.

HTH. Best J