moth cutting

General chat about boats
chris

moth cutting

Post by chris »

IMG_0125.JPG
(43.13 KiB) Not downloaded yet
i have been given some moth stuff from 1968 and after...interesting reading.
can someone explain about the first sail emblem of an M in a circle, which i had associated with the British moth but i see it on pre 70s Int moths. what is the story there?

I could scan some of the papers if anyone is interested.
realnutter

Re: moth cutting

Post by realnutter »

I don't know why it changed.. the '68 British yearbook has pics of both the M in a circle (both M and circle are printed in red, but that may just be the printing tech of the era) and the moth silhouette....

Both the British Moth, and the CMBA in America use a red M in a blue circle....
Last edited by realnutter on Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt

Int Moth K2992
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I believe it changed with the unification of the various moth classes around the world to create the truly international class.
Rupert
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

Remember Yellow Peril? She has the BM insignia but is not a BM.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Spiderman

Post by Spiderman »

When my Shelley was built in 1967 it would have had the red M in a blue circle as the sail emblem. In fact the low aspect Anderson Aerosail that came with the boat when I bought her still has that symbol. From memory and in line with what Rupert said earlier, the emblem changed in 1970 together with the adoption of the Aussie tall fully battened rig when the various restricted Moth classes combined to become truly International. I also seem to remember that until the emblem changed the British Moth version was plain black and they adopted the two colour version when the International Moths dropped it in favour of the Moth/ butterfly silhouette? Otherwise there would have been no way to easily distinguish which was which in a handicap fleet.
Rupert might know or be able to find out if this is true or not?

Ian
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Not sure about the colour. Old black and white photos don't help! I'd always thought they were the same, but could be wrong. Often am...
Rupert
chris

Post by chris »

Having looked again at the two year books I have I think they may hold the explanation themselves. The one dated 1967-1968 has on the cover ‘British Association for International Moth Racing’ and the under the measurement rule (3e) describes the M in a circle as the emblem. Another rule refers to ‘...their own associations... ‘ so presumably this was just at the time that individual nations had their own association that were still to be become one unified international association.
The last rule (no. 4 ) shows that there were some discrepancies between individual associations and were being unified at this time.
The more recent yearbook is from the IMCA not the British Association .
realnutter

Post by realnutter »

Chris, what's the other year you have??

There's a load here

http://international-moth-archive.org/i ... k-archive/

If you have any of the missing ones, '70 and '71 in particular, I'd love to see them to try and pin down the exact age of my boat....
Matt

Int Moth K2992
chris

Post by chris »

I only have two year books. 1967-68 and 1989
The older book has a list of owners and their boats. the boat with the highest number is k.2861