Capsize aid.

General chat about boats
Alan P.

Capsize aid.

Post by Alan P. »

Hello All.
When I sailed at CVRDA events (happy days indeed) there were a few older, less nimble crews who obviously did not relish the thought of a capsize. There has been some chat on the Gull forum about this and someone has found John Claridge in Lymington stocking something that may prove useful. I have not used one myself and have no need to but I thought them an interesting idea. But I suppose a bow on the righting rope would do the same job
http://www.chandlery.johnclaridgeboats.co.uk/Stirrups
OK 1211 Peter Crew wood 1968
Gull 2892 Hartley MK6 Plastic 2014
Streaker 1582. Home built. Wood 2005
jpa_wfsc

Re: Capsize aid.

Post by jpa_wfsc »

Righting line and a short length of garden hose to make the 'stirrup' stiff enough to get your foot in works very well.
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I can capsize without aid. As a help for self rescue, were I a rich man, I suspect I would be tempted. As it is, I think I may follow young JPA's advice on the hosepipe.
Rupert
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

I normally try and capsize at least once a year, just for practice you know. I needed more practice this year so I've capsized twice already.

I have added righting lines to both Finns, I use them when I totally invert and I've also added the traveller lines long enough to use as a stirrup if I need to, but haven't used them yet.
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

I capsize a massive amount, sometime by accident, fairly often on purpose. The thought of inverting the Finn makes me shudder....
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Alan P.

Post by Alan P. »

Yes Rupert. I thought they were a bit pricey too
The only boat in my small fleet to sport a righting line is the Dart ,of course. No stirrup on the end but, taking advise from those who know far more than I, I've put knots in it at regular intervals down it's length (it's long). These have been a great aid to getting a good grip.
OK 1211 Peter Crew wood 1968
Gull 2892 Hartley MK6 Plastic 2014
Streaker 1582. Home built. Wood 2005
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

Nessa wrote:I capsize a massive amount, sometime by accident, fairly often on purpose. The thought of inverting the Finn makes me shudder....
I hope you have a sturdy (10mm) shock cord to pull the plate DOWN when you are sailing? It stops the board slicing its way back into the slot as the boat rolls over.
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

I have both a strong shock cord and a line. The line gets tied on windy days so that the board cannot come up more than about 2/3rds. I just need to remember to untie it again before coming ashore!
With the righting lines it's very quick and easy to get the Finn up from inverted.
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

I have some new centreboard fittings from Suntouched that have a groove in them for the shockcord. The boat is currently stripped of all fittings and about to be re-rigged. Peter where are your lines fitted?
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

The line is tied in a bowline round the thwart at the back of the case then it's taken through the shackle on the centreboard and back to the bowline where it's tied in a slip half hitch so it's easy to untie when coming ashore. Many Finn sailors use them, it's very simple and only needs to be tied in windy weather. The Suntouched fitting is great. It means you can have a tight strong shock cord that you only fit after lowering the board and sailing off, then again you can slip it off when coming ashore to make it easier to lift the board.
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash