News on Netley (2008) - the forty boat Nationals!

Chat about CVRDA events
Pat

Post by Pat »

Have to find an old school tie and gymslip then! Have to be properly dressed or the extremely strict matriarch headmistress would apply the leather strap to hands. :cry:
Though that was probably the year when I moved to the village primary that didn't have a uniform. :)
davidh

Post by davidh »

Pat,

we indulge most tastes at Netley but we might have to draw the line at leather straps..... unless we give the Nationals party an S&M theme!

But then..... maybe an S&M party WOULD be the answer as we will have some Finn sailors - and if sailing a Finn isn't the M part of S&M then I don't know what is.......

D
David H
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Just found this thread I was 14 in 1965 and 16 in the Summer of Luv no flowers but had tye dyed shirts, Cheese cloth shirts were also popular as were flares and trumpet sleaves. Girl friends were into hot pants thigh boots etc. and the Chicks man oh the Chicks well thats another story. If going sixties must have lots of Cream, Deep Purple ,Jeff Beck, Atomic Rooster, Led etc. could dig out the collection.
Peace Al
Last edited by alan williams on Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
davidh

Post by davidh »

Alan - SNAP!

I had mauve cotton 'loons' (so tight they cut of the circulation) and either a tie and dye shirt, cheesecloth or - the best of the best, a midnight blue kaftan bought from an ad in the back pages of the New Musical Express! For the girlfriend.....knee high boots and suede lace up hot pants (steady on there now - the old ticker isn't what it used to be"!!) with a little pixie top.

Music WILL be played to include...

Free - has to be 'All Right Now'

Black Sabbath - Paranoid and 'fairies wear boots'

Deep Purple - Black night, Sweet Child in Time

Atomic Rooster - Tomorrow Night

Narzareth - this flight tonight
Chicago - 25 or 6 to 4.
Led Zepplin - Lemon song (squeeze me baby.......)
Beatles
Stones
plus maybe even some Frank Zappa, Family or Wishbone Ash.

we can all stand at the bar all night as they will end with a slow song or two so us poor men can then 'make the move' -just like you had to in the old days.

Start letting that hair grow.......

D
David H
Pat

Post by Pat »

Loads of great classic rock music!
Chart wise it was the Seekers' big year... and anyone else remember Unit 4 + 2's hit?
davidh

Post by davidh »

Pat,

I thought that me saying about 'Concrete and clay' - with the Unit (aka the sandtex scow) was just TOO cheesy.

Okay - just for you we can have Judith Durham and the boys doing 'The Carnival is over' - just for you!!

D
David H
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi Dave
Wishbone Ash once played with Steve Upton the original drummer with Ash when I was a boy. He was a Torquay lad and played in a band called Tangle Foot. I was the worst bass player known to mankind. Only did it for the beer and women. Funny old thing my girl friend at the time had lace up/undo suede hot pants and I was once dragged around Plymouth shopping with her (when I should have been racing the Hornet young love big ah ), to buy them, most I recall came from Topshop. Had a better day when she went shopping for a bikini and kept on walking out of the changing rooms with them on to get my approval. The old guys with their wifes or daughters had eyes that were out on stalks when they saw her. Yes I remember it well sounds like another song.
We also had a Knack of being Peace protesters, but for some reason use to wear military uniforms bum freezer battle tops, great coats and alike. Please no Seekers but loads of Jimmy and the Stones. Bob Frip of King Crimson used to put me in detention every Saturday Morning for being late for School he was a prefect at Plymouth College. How ever he's suffering now being married to Toya Wilcocks. Sex and Drugs and Rock and Roll culture was the sixties, a time of hope when every thing was possible and the threat of nuclear war was held over are heads ( spoken like the anthropologist I hope to be}, the Hornet sailing was pretty good to.
Cheers Al
Must go and have a cold bath now.
We will all need to bring Air Guitars to Netley to form the best band in the World.
Last edited by alan williams on Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:23 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Trevor C

Post by Trevor C »

Are you trying to encourage attendance or put people off?
Uffa Fox Jolly Boat - J9
Mirror - 34359
Hornet - K140

Please see http://www.justgiving.com/160miles for my charity ride to Paris in May
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Definately Encouraging the Event if you can remember the Sixties you were n't there.
Peace Al
davidh

Post by davidh »

Trevor,

well... you could always go to the RS party and have an evening of acid house, trance and garage music. (Garage music was, I thought until recently, what one got from the tranny radio you listened to whilst trying to repair/refit the boat ready for the start of the new season)

Or....... Hendrix, the Animals, Kinks, Donovan (now he was a tad naughty now and then!) Jethro Tull and.... oh so much more great music,

All you need to do is to start growingyour hair, did out the old combat pants and nick a flower or two to put in your hair and you'll be fine. I've heard it said that Jollyboat owners were like that anyway.............

The 'free love' is not obligatory! Some comment about taking all night to do what we used to do all night (whoops, must keep it clean).

whatever - it will be a great night..... I'm even on the hunt for a 'plastic fantastic' from the elephants graveyard that we can give a viking funeral to on the beach!!!!

D
David H
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Problem Dave Environmental Police Me will get you Toxic Fumes.
Also first heard All Rght Now at a disco at the Weston Hornet Open Meeting in 196?
Al

Ps What HAIR!!!!!!!!!!!!
New news Her indoors says I can go on my own!!.
davidh

Post by davidh »

Great news Alan.

And yet more...... we will have a dedicated 'shore team' to help those who really did do the 60s get up and down the slipway (yes.... that is NOT a joke)

and a possible 'new' prize..... best boat when the age of boat, helm and crew (singlehanders will be helm x 2) equals more than... 140, or even 150?

Would there be any takers??

D
David H
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi Dave
I had better bring a Dolphin to qualifie.
But I'm hoping that Graham and I (if I can still get out on the Wire) will bring Grahams Supercal .......... FD.
Cheers Al
davidh

Post by davidh »

Alan, even with superdocious a helping hand up and down won't be amiss.

Julian Brooke -Houghton wass at netley last year - would be great to see if he could be enticed down!

But Superdocious: then we have to have "going Loco, down in Acapulco"

|D
David H
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Dave
The boats Super........ of Poole the very expensive composite boat brought for Rodders by Poole Council number is 350 and Grahams trying to leave her as Patterson had her apart from filling in one of the spinnaker shutes as the bulkhead had delaminated.
We hope to sail some FD meetings and the CVRDA ones that big boats can actually race at.
Cheers Al.
Last edited by alan williams on Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.