News on Netley (2008) - the forty boat Nationals!

Chat about CVRDA events
pegasus

Post by pegasus »

Sounds like i could have a hard time in these age/era compitions :D owell is all part of the fun.

Alan you should get one more event that you can sail a big boat at this year.

Greg
Pegasus 166(The Darkside) SOLD
Cherub 2646 Madge
Pat

Post by Pat »

Well this team of aging rockers can only reach 150 - no competition with the Barlows and Gardiners.
Forget the chart stuff, Alright Now is much better for dancing. It's the Beatles, Stones, Clapton and Bob Dylan etc. for us. Even todays teenegers are into the bands we grew up with and are impressed when you've been to PInk Floyd gigs and got original Led Zeppelin albums on vinyl. Says something for the enduring quality when you hear Cream blasting out of a neighbour's house and don't know whether to blame the teenagers or the parents! :D
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

At the Merlin travellers this year at Holy Loch I managed 168 years!! Boat , helm and crew were all the same age - 56 x 3. Frensham CVRDA was the same with a different crew as was Dorchester where we were a combined 6 weeks older!! At Clywedog the Barlows scuppered me by supplying three youthful crews!! Next year we should top the 170 mark with a bit of luck. The Barlows, Gardiners and the Rucklidge squad topped a combined 500 quite easily at Dorchester and if you include Mervyn Allen in Kate at that event (remember he was not crewed by the youthful Laura) we must have been pushing the 700years for the 4 boats, plus crews and helms. 2121 and 1066 would have had us well over the 1000!!
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

And to think Saskia, Kathryn and I only reach a comibined age of 126. All Kathryn's fault!
Rupert
davidh

Post by davidh »

Rupert,

thanks for the gentle nudge in the right direction there!

At the last Nationals - how many 'entrants' did we get at the under 18 level? There ought to be some recognition there too!

As for the combiened age prize - instead of blaming Kathryn - sail an older boat!!!

Just please - when we play the Beach Boys or the Yarbirds - just don't say "who are they"!!!!!!!!
David H
roger

Post by roger »

Who are they :D

On a serious note all you Peggie boys and girls and you Jolly boys and girls are you aiming to hold your nationals at the same time? I have lost track of what is happening where at the moment. Are the Peggies still going to Whitefriars?

I am still in the world of foot in mouth for the next fortnight but should be near a putor for some of the time.
Trevor C

Jollyboat Nationals

Post by Trevor C »

There is a plan to hold a JB Nationals at Netley next year. There seems to be a growing interest, restorations nearing completion and a new build with the majority on the South Coast or nearby.
Uffa Fox Jolly Boat - J9
Mirror - 34359
Hornet - K140

Please see http://www.justgiving.com/160miles for my charity ride to Paris in May
davidh

Post by davidh »

We would be glad to host the Nationals. Do the Jboats and Peggies have any trophies - if there are any then let me know in advance. Also - what sort of numbers would both fleets be aiming for?

I was thinking along the lines of 6 boats or more, in any fleet, would get their own prize, 10 or more you'll get a 1st and 2nd..... 20 or more and we will do the whole 1,2,3 thing.

This could be shaping up to be some event

D
David H
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Are the Yarbirds a slone ranger tribute band? Starring Tara Parker-Clapton on lead guitar?
Rupert
stu
Site Admin

Post by stu »

surely yhey should be the meterbirds now? We went metric in 1971. So in that case the song inchworm? should that be 2.4cm worm? or the who song I can see for miles and miles, should now be i can see for kms and kms.

On a serious note: No mention of Bowie yet, yes yes I know his only true hit was in '69 with a space oddity, but he was doing some really cool stuff before that, so it kinda counts, Buddy Holly was still having hits in the 60s even though he'd been dead for a long time by then. I think maybe that a little cheese should be alowed in too, no party could pass without some '70s funk, a bit of ABBA and some of the really really cheesey stuff from the '80s, or is that geeting too modern ! :twisted:
The only canoe sailor in MY village too !

8) OK K1958
8) Mirror 34459

http://www.stuandliz.co.uk

make bow waves not chat
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Anything up to 1983, surely, but it is handicapped by playing 10 seconds less per year, and if it has been recorded onto CD we give a further 20 second penalty. MP3 players are banned because the majority of cvrda people have no clue what they are. Or is that just me?
David, there are trophies for the youngest competitors, but not for winning under 18's. Not sure it has ever been a problem, though!
Rupert
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Maybe a new handicap formula for a special trophy.

Youngster trophy handicap PY =PY x age of boat/age of helm.

I will have to get something from the Yorvik centre :)

Nigel
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

OK, my brain not functioning this morning...does that mean that the youngest helm with the oldest boat does well? So if an 8 year old sails Iska, it would be an unbeatable team! My son had better get practicing - he has pulling and pushing issues at the moment!
Rupert
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

That's it. Younger helms increase the PY, older boats increase the PY. Not really a serious formula for a series but novel for an additional speciality award (or a post-race argument :D ).
chris

Post by chris »

Sounds good to me. My Grandson (yes, I know I don't look old enough) has just had his first birthday so If I get a booster seat for Iska......