News on Netley (2008) - the forty boat Nationals!

Chat about CVRDA events
davidh

News on Netley (2008) - the forty boat Nationals!

Post by davidh »

Greg,

I've done this as a new topic rather than as a reply to your last thread, I hope that this is okay. I have had another look at tides for the 2008 summer and have to report that they are not 'good' - some years are like that, the tide times just don't facilitate easy selection

Probably the best weekend of the whole summer is that of the 21st-22nd June (Roger - yes, this is 'Round the Island weekend' - no surprise, this really is the best tided weekend for the whole summer) to which could be added a Friday or Monday.

We could then organise something for the Sat night - the 'longest day' party perhaps (and being the longest day this would allow Sandy to make up lost time somewhere along the way).

Alternatives are the weekend 7th-8th June, 5th -6th July or 9th-10th August. We're already gettng requests from 'other' classes to hold events and with the shortage of good weekends need to firm this up within the nextx month or so.

I may have some sponsorship for the weekend too......

Let me know your thoughts

D
David H
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

August definitely but that is personal. Schools here are still working as they are in England so even a long weekend may have issues for some folk.
davidh

Post by davidh »

good point there Gary, thanks for that! And.... the August dates would allow people with the funny wide clinker boats to take in Looe as well!!

D
David H
roger

Post by roger »

David thanks for these dates.

David I am told RTI is 28th next year.

I am very concerned that an August Nationals will be to close to Clwedog and split the attendance.
I am in favour of moving the Nationals to a different month and moving things around.
Obviously we will need to juggle the calender around a bit but lets have a few oppinions this week and I will try and fix something with David and Greg by the time we get to Shearwater event.
None of the dates will suit everyone but we will do our best to fit everyone in.
Greg can we talk before Shearwater about the calender.
stu
Site Admin

Post by stu »

personally, o think the ntionals should be on school holidays to maximize attendance. whilst i agree that any date will not suit all, surelay a best case is best. Once apon a time, Clywedog and roadford were only weeks apart, in fact a well timed two week holiday could se you doing both events with a middle weekend free?

August is my favourite.
The only canoe sailor in MY village too !

8) OK K1958
8) Mirror 34459

http://www.stuandliz.co.uk

make bow waves not chat
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Yeah,

for my money I prefer the nats in August - in school hols. Very hard for me to take a few days off whilst kids at school.

I don't personally think it is too much of a problem being close...as Stu says Clywedog used to be close to Roadford.

Also if it is a problem we could always do Clywdog on different w/end. Personally I would advise against Clywedog on August B/hols anyway.

It could so easily just end up being as big an event as it was this year, which is kinda not the point.

only my pennyworth

cheers
eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
keithr

Post by keithr »

We can be fairly flexible on dates as we don't finalise our programme till early 2008.

1 Do you still want a long weekend/week window for Clywedog ?

2 We could do the Whitsun Bank Hol weekend when we have 3 days of social/racing anyway which would not be too much of an extra committment for us and we could race Sat/Sun for CVRDA with those who wish to stay over joining in with us on the Monday.

2 We can do the 1st weekend of school Hols for those who want to make a week of it but just Sat/Sun races as normal CVRDA traveller.

3 The danger if we have our meeting on Aug BH is that it would possible reduce attendance at Netley Nats if held on early Aug and also a major organisation on our part.

My feeling is that for 2008 we just have a 2day event at Clywedog, as I could do with a year off unless I can find some one else to organise (dreaming again). Of course those that want to make a week of it are always welcome.

Maybe we should have a poll on what the membership wants.

I would go for Clywedog at Whit with Nats at Netley in August .

I also favour the moving around of Nationals bearing in mind that suitable waters are scarce ie plenty of water, good access, reasonable prices, good hospitality, camping/caravans on site or nearby at reasonable rates, B&B local again at reasonable prices.
Two Peggies 199,100,
Flying fifteen 1855,
Flying fifteen 204 (now in the barn)
Sunbird
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

Sad to say it's the cultural divide - we don't have have Whitsun in the far North!!
davidh

Post by davidh »

Latest odds are now on Netley being either late on in July or else early on in August. June is now 'out' - and that is official.

Garry - say you'll come and even if you have to fly sleazyjet we'll find a boat for you to sail!

D
David H
Pat

Post by Pat »

How about going for early August Nationals and then seeing if Brightlingsea could fit us in about the August Bank Hol, maybe as a start in Pyfleet Week? If so Clywedog at Whitsun half term would work well.

I wouldn't like to lose the Brightlingsea event as it's an area we don't otherwise reach.

The National Rally has to be THE big event of the year so in the school holidays would be best.
roger

Post by roger »

Its looking like August is the most popular date and if Keith wants whitsun thats fine and maybe fix the bank holiday weekend for brightlingsea or starcross if they can fit us in I will try and sort dates with Greg and David within the next week so we can have a provisional calender fairly soon. Any clubs want to change their dates or time of year? May be just the one Baltic Wharf and fit in a new club. Jim has offered Island barn Andy has offered Starcross. It is beginning to get to the point where we will either have to drop the odd club to alternate years or similar. Shearwater was supposed to be alternate years with Bristol Avon but that seems to have faded out.
Lets keep the discussion going for a few more days but it looks like August is the date to have for the nationals and keith if you dont mind doing whitsun. We wont get a clash.
keithr

Post by keithr »

Whitsun sounds good to me as gives everyone the option to make a holiday of it. :lol:
Two Peggies 199,100,
Flying fifteen 1855,
Flying fifteen 204 (now in the barn)
Sunbird
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

roger wrote:Its looking like August is the most popular date and if Keith wants whitsun thats fine and maybe fix the bank holiday weekend for brightlingsea or starcross if they can fit us in I will try and sort dates with Greg and David within the next week so we can have a provisional calender fairly soon. Any clubs want to change their dates or time of year? May be just the one Baltic Wharf and fit in a new club. Jim has offered Island barn Andy has offered Starcross. It is beginning to get to the point where we will either have to drop the odd club to alternate years or similar. Shearwater was supposed to be alternate years with Bristol Avon but that seems to have faded out.
Lets keep the discussion going for a few more days but it looks like August is the date to have for the nationals and keith if you dont mind doing whitsun. We wont get a clash.
We also discussed the idea of combining the Shearwater visit to Roadford with a CVRDA event.
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
roger

Post by roger »

Neil that idea has been put to the committee and passed. I dont know any specific dates as yet but it was early June last year.
davidh

Post by davidh »

The very latest and greatest on Netley 2008.

Yes - the club would love to have us BUT - the one really brill date in August has already been ringfenced for the Nationals for one of the RS classes. As they'll have 50-60 boats and full sponsorship I've struggled to get them to ditch the day in favour of us.

But - as the 'very next best' offer - we can have the 18-21st July (that is the Friday to the Monday - we can pick and mix days to give maybe a 'Cowes' cruise).

The downside...hmmmm, if there is one then it is the fact that it woiuld be the humble organisers birthday over the weekend which would involve the consumption of an excessive amout of Newquay Steam Cider.

Bang goes my plan of trying to outdo MR Rawllinson for another year!!

Let me know if there are any major problems/objections - by next week I'll need to say yay or nay.

D
David H