Classic Metre Boats etc

Chat about CVRDA events
Trevor C

Classic Metre Boats etc

Post by Trevor C »

This is well worth a look:-

http://www.classickeelboats.org/index.html

It follows on from Netley and is at the same time as the BCYC event from Cowes.

Maybe there is some kind of cross marketing opportunity here?
Uffa Fox Jolly Boat - J9
Mirror - 34359
Hornet - K140

Please see http://www.justgiving.com/160miles for my charity ride to Paris in May
DavidC

Post by DavidC »

I have been discussing the event with this group and am happy to make contact formally for the CVRDA if you wish.
davidh

Post by davidh »

Dave et al,

It should not be beyond the wit of man to sort out a trip over to Cowes - either by dinghy or by rib.

In the end it will depend on the numbers

D
David H
fatboyfinn

Classic Trimaran

Post by fatboyfinn »

Does this mean I can bring my "new" 29 year old Telstar Tri to CVRDA events.

Make a good committee boat!

Andy

Finn 563 and 373
Pat

Post by Pat »

Did anyone see 3 men in another boat with Griff Rhys Jones' beautiful boat "Undina"??

We dinghy sailors could have taught his crew how to tack - perhaps a suggestion for the next 3 men series??
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

I think almost anyone who sails could have done a better job!

I've sailed and raced many thousands of miles in a very similar yacht, a 43' wooden Morgan Giles built for the RN. We often had inexperienced crews to train and never managed to make as many cock ups as Griff!

If we sail to Cowes from Netley we'd better keep well clear of the black one!
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I enjoyed the programme, but many of the things that went wrong seemed rather well planned and the stupidity well edited...good TV and all that. Though I think the boat breaking during the race probebly wasn't planned...
Rupert
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

Rupert wrote:Though I think the boat breaking during the race probebly wasn't planned...
...but this did show it was a real classic. Unlike the fablon covered ali mast of the other boat.
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
roger

Post by roger »

I was surprised the offending broken bit was only a threaded block. I would have thought it should have been bolted right throught the mast considering the loads it was carrying.

Great telly and if he needs a crew Im there.
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

I think on the whole I am with Rupert on this....don't believe what you see on TV...

Having worked on quite a few TV documentaries in the past, I have always been amazed by just how much of it is planned, written, enacted, shot....and re-shot. I wouldn't be so cynical to say it is true of all documentaries, but I have little faith in the honesty of this kind of 'fun' documentary. They are trying to make 'good' TV and not an honest and accurate description of what happened during the trip.

Similarly, a friend recently took part in one of those 'fun races' that TopGear have so much fun with. On TV it looked like a close race, just won by the Car. In reality of course the footage for the race was built up out of many runs, some close some not which the car rarely won.....not honest at all....but it did make great TV. I don't believe any of them....but they are fun.

In a way more worryingly.....I have also worked on quite a few magazine reviews, mainly for windsurfers but also for skis...and was always amazed by how 'subjective' the whole process was. With a large number of similar products being used in quick succession, it always seemed to me that the testing team quickly fell back into their basic opinions of preferred brands and friendly suppliers. Everyone always likes Mistral boards.....and Salamon Skis. The experience has always left me feeling pretty jaded about large magazine reviews of any similar product.

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Having watched it a second time last night (Simone missed it first time), I think what came over to me most was how much Griff must be playing up his incompetence.

Fact is you don't sail a 45ft long-keel boat from Norfolk to the Solent with two complete beginners without quite a reasonable level of competence. All in all he seemed pretty well together.....just playing up for the cameras.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Pat

Post by Pat »

What we probably didn't see was his regular crew who would be ordered to hide when the cameras were on, just like Sandy and Tony and co in Building a Dream - and you thought the contestants did the work!
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
Trevor C

Post by Trevor C »

I have crewed on Josephine (which raced Undina) and said hello to Griff at the BCYC regatta in Cowes last year. I really enjoyed the programme but got the impression it was TV entertainment and not a documentary.
Uffa Fox Jolly Boat - J9
Mirror - 34359
Hornet - K140

Please see http://www.justgiving.com/160miles for my charity ride to Paris in May