battle of the classes 2009

Chat about CVRDA events
Rupert

Re: battle of the classes 2009

Post by Rupert »

Pat - reading 'tween the lines we're NOT wanted at Excel - and the same commentator as last year is now firmly in the frame for the event...again!

The above is a quote from David H concerning Excel...are we wanted, or do we not count as a "class"? In which case we would need two of a kind to enter as a class, like the Peggies did last year?
Rupert
davidh

Post by davidh »

Rupert,

THere may be a light at the end of the tunnel.... word has it that Richard Parslow (the one and only 'animal') will now be doing the PA system.

I can see no reason why the Classics could not enter, either two boats the same, or two of anything - or, for that matter, only one.

I'm in the same boat as Rupert I'm afraid..........

D
David H
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

I'm game,

Nigel
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Did you mean Roger, David? I'm a possible for going, but don't pick up the Tonic till this weekend, so can't be sure before that? Sounds like we could do the Tonic and Pisces, maybe, if all is well? Both would suit confined waters, and would maybe push the lost classes? It does involve me getting myself organized for a trip to London, which I've mananged to avoid for many a year - can't be more than a couple of dozen times since I left in 1984 having grown up there, and most of those were before I was 20...
I'd have thought something more classical would push the cvrda better, though?
Rupert
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

Are we restricted at two entries, in fact? Jolly Boats, Pegasus to name but two of our boats, could potentially each enter two boats, in addition to one or two of the 'lost' classes?

Perhaps it comes down to how you define a class. CVRDA has several sections - so I'd have suggested that an entry (or pair) from each section would be acceptable.
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.
JB9

Post by JB9 »

My JB needs some work over the winter so is out of action until Spring 09, and I think at least 1 other is the same.
Harrier 25
505 7163
roger

Post by roger »

jpa_wfsc wrote:Are we restricted at two entries, in fact? Jolly Boats, Pegasus to name but two of our boats, could potentially each enter two boats, in addition to one or two of the 'lost' classes?

Perhaps it comes down to how you define a class. CVRDA has several sections - so I'd have suggested that an entry (or pair) from each section would be acceptable.

I think we might be pushing our luck by entering more than two boats under the cvrda but they could enter under their own class. Last year we had the Peggies and a fine job they did. The rules are for two boats of one class but I think we may be able to put two boats of different classes if they are under the cvrda flag as lost.
Last year we had this discussion and we had to be careful not to end up with boats from classes already entered(Merlins,Hornets, Firefly) so the Peggies volunteered and represented the cvrda and themselves. two JBs would look great as would the Pegs again. I dont remember any canoes there last year but the venue is a bit extreme for them.
If we want a dockside space(if it is on offer again) we need to enter quickly and then maybe decide on the class we enter.
The display last year worked well with lots of varnish stroking going on as it was the only wood amongst a field of plastic.

Rog
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
roger

Post by roger »

We have a definite offer of one Peggie(crew required). Do we have another peggie to go with her?

What are the chances of two JBs?

There isnt anything about stand space this year but I will make enquiries. Anyone want to display a boat?
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
roger

Post by roger »

I have just received this from Battle of the Classes organisers.

We have one peggie happy to sail. Does anyone else want to take up the challenge? Closing date is 22nd December

Roger

Dear Class

With the London boat show at Excel 2009 fast approaching, British sailing have again been asked to organise the Dinghy showcase on the dock area for the last weekend of the show Saturday 17 and Sunday 18th January 2009.

We have managed to get National Boat show to promote the last weekend of the show as "The Dinghy Weekend" . This includes a large number of events for Dinghy enthusiasts going on the Main stage, The Ovington skiff Grand Prix on the Saturday on the water and the Y+Y Pursuit race on the Sunday

The Dinghy showcase is an opportunity for up to 15 classes to showcase their Dinghies on the dock area free of charge, giving the public the opportunity see the classes and talk to a representative about the boats without the hard sell from the boat manufactures

If you require more information or are interested please let me know ASAP

Regards

Paul Botterill
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

I would happily come and crew, but I am quite a big person - I have no idea what the size requirements are for a Pegasus, nor have I ever sailed one!
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World