Whitefriars Winter Classic and Lost Class Meeting. 8th Feb

Chat about CVRDA events
Rupert

Whitefriars Winter Classic and Lost Class Meeting. 8th Feb

Post by Rupert »

I confirmed with the new Commodore of Whitefriars today that we would be made welcome there for a cvrda (plus friends) meeting. The best date, provided the people who have shown an interest so far can make it, is Sunday 15th February. EDIT NOW 8th FEBRUARY

There will be 2 races to tie in with the Cold Bath series that will be running at the club, with our start either 5 minutes before or after the club start. 1st start 11.00am. Not sure about an entry fee yet - How does £5 sound, with soup and a roll, prizes and the extra fuel for the rescue boat to tow those of us who break home included?

As a non TT event, and given the time of year, we would be happy to see some of the boats that are normally not allowed - classic Phantoms, 25 year + Contenders (the lake is big enough if you are agile enough!) and any other classes where the original boats are now out classed by the modern ones. We would also love to see Lost Class boats (ones with no active class association) of any age who are looking for a fun couple of races against other rarities.

Whitefriars lake is situated a coulple of miles from the A419 in the Cotswold Water Park - nice and central! Website http://www.wfsc.co.uk. Please let me know if you can come so I can get enough soup and prizes.
Last edited by Rupert on Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rupert
Nigel

Re: Whitefriars Winter Classic and Lost Class Meeting.

Post by Nigel »

Hi Rupert,

well done! I will do my upmost to be there with the Pisces and the Beachcomber. (I will also try to remember that possible Tonic sail).

If we have a videographer available it would be good to record a concours d'irrelevance sail past for the lost classes. :)

Nigel
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I've just realized something about that weekend which may cause difficulties for many...it is the 1st week of 1/2 term. Please keep an open mind on the date again...sorry! The week before will have to be checked out.
Rupert
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

Hmm - yes the weekend before might be easier for some. We often go away that 1/2 term week (its cheep).

We should get Finn, Moth out for this; poss bring Peggie up for the day if its not toooooo coooolddddd.

j./
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I'll check with Bob Harris, who is OOD, to see if he minds doing the extra start. We may need to get an extra body in the race box to help.
Rupert
roger

Post by roger »

Rupert,
Angie may help in the start box as assistant. I suspect the only condition is that it is warm. I will check it out and if you want help let me know.

ps Any of those dates will be fine.

pps Nigel if I can borrow a boat that would be very kind.

Rog
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

roger wrote:Nigel if I can borrow a boat that would be very kind.
Hi Roger, you are more than welcome but do not expect too much. The Beachcomber is an acquired taste :) .

Nigel
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Thanks Roger & Angie - warmth isn't normally associated with our start hut, but a heater could be found!
Rupert
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

I'll get this added to the Calendar

I can't sail my Finn for this event as I'll have just come out of hospital but might be OK for the Illusion.
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

There are some Martin 16's that sail at the lake, so an Illusion should be OK. Its a long way to come for 2 races - I can try and get something organized for the Saturday if you like, too?

Talking of which, back about 5 years or so ago, we had a winter social the night before a winter event at Whitefriars. We ate at Sally Pussy's inn, and people stayed at the travel lodge/Inn/whatever at J16 on the M4. Does anyone fancies doing something similar?
Rupert
roger

Post by roger »

Rupert,
I will piut it tp Angie.

Regarding staying for a weekend I am afraid the current economic climate means staying away is not an option for me at the moment. So will only be doing one day events at the mo.

Come the spring we will see if the camper can be put back on the road.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
davidh

Post by davidh »

Does anyone have a Harrier that could be sailed for the event?

D
David H
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

If it is the weekend 7/8 Feb then I should be doing the Tiger Trophy in the C boat. If anyone wants to borrow ye olde phantome they will be welcome if they don't mind the foredeck looking a bit ropey - I have too many boats to varnish and not enough garages to store them in.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

A February Frostbite sounds fun if only I could ask for a dry suit from Mrs Santa. Sadly getting wet has been the main financial agenda this year and six months after the first hammer blow to the old tiles, the new bathroom was finally inaugurated last week. So hopefully by February I'll be smelling a little sweeter!

...........:idea:
.........:idea: :idea:
.......:idea: :idea: :idea:
The :idea: Firefly :idea: is very pretty at the moment sitting in the front garden dressed overall in festive fairy lights and won't take a moment to get ready. She's only been to one event (a firefly open in which there was not enough wind to race! :cry: ) since the refurb and is ready to sail. I'll probably be single handed, but can offer a spare place if needed to any marooned crew if the weather is inclement (or nice enough for that matter for habitual landlubbers to want a go.)

It all depends on how the week-end passes are, but the spirit is willing as is the hull. :D :D :D

Oh by the way, Happy Christmas everybody!

Michael Brigg
roger

Post by roger »

Yes Happy Christmas everyone. Parents revenge this morning. I got to wake up the young adults this morning :evil:

That picture ..... My brother in law was crew member on the last boat to deliver the xmas tree to the Needles lighthouse before it was automated.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353