Whitefriars Winter Classic and Lost Class Meeting. 8th Feb

Chat about CVRDA events
Michael Brigg

Re: Whitefriars Winter Classic and Lost Class Meeting. 8th Feb

Post by Michael Brigg »

If your Snark be a Boojum! For then. You will softly and suddenly vanish away"

Funny reading the above - I'm buying a Snark on Sunday! Not sure what the rest means though...
I think this is another way of saying "Caveat Emptor!"

....David??
Michael Brigg
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

In which case, very, very, apt!
Rupert
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

Is Cave at Emptor not Osama Bin Laden's current address?
Graham T

Post by Graham T »

As a long time lurker who would rarely have anything erudite to add to this forum can I just say that the wandering off topic replies are its greatest joy and bring much in the way of information and entertainment.

So in terms of taking this even further away from the original topic my father used to sail Fireball number 20 at Broadstairs - a lovely Chippendale boat called "Boojum". I often wonder what became of it......

Regards
Graham

Osprey 1245 "Two Bob Bit"
Miracle 1358 "Thumper"
Graham T
Osprey 1340, Osprey 1245, Osprey 55, Miracle 1358, Laser heap, ancient Mirror kit half assembled, Project Miracle in need of decks........
Kielder Water Sailing Club
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Rupert wrote: Funny reading the above - I'm buying a Snark on Sunday! Not sure what the rest means though...
Hi Rupert,

If the Snark falls through, I have a Fusion in the roof of the garage that may fit the bill for the kids. Wishbone boom so just like daddy's. :P

Nigel
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

There was a funny sketch on Radio4 last night about chat rooms. Lots of slang about "Trolls" and "Newbies" butting in on threads. It made me think about what is so different on this forum.

This forum differs in that it is not a "Chat room" where people engage in exhibitionist 1:1 private conversation in public, but a discussion group which is open to public scrutiny and debate. It is true that a forum must be careful not to become a clique full of obscure reference but this is what the "Quote" function is best for. Alot of this forum feels like the kind of chat you might have in the pub rather than the playground, with a beer or whisky to lubricate the conversation.

It's true some of us can get a bit carried away, just like in the bar. Not the kind of sniping or bitching one hear's of in some forums where playground tactics such as bullying and "let's all ignore so and so" can go on.

I like the "Etiquette reminder" It reminds us about our manners in such a polite and uncomplicated way. I showed it to my daughter when she got her first laptop and personal url. Thank-you Mr Moderator! :D :D

Back to the conversation...some one mentioned Mr Laden??

Alan said:-
he realised that we are not all beards and sandles but can also sail a bit?

Perhaps he's not hidden in the Cave at Emptor, but nearer to home??
Michael Brigg
roger

Post by roger »

Graham T wrote:So in terms of taking this even further away from the original topic my father used to sail Fireball number 20 at Broadstairs - a lovely Chippendale boat called "Boojum". I often wonder what became of it......

Regards
Graham

Osprey 1245 "Two Bob Bit"
Miracle 1358 "Thumper"
Graham the new Furball site has an excellent list of boats dating back to number 6. There are a couple of 2 digit boats on there from Netley Cliff I beleive have a look she may be there.
If not its worth a shout to the ball web site.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

Regarding thread changing and etiquette I agree with the fun element. I always post as Garry R - after all that's my name. The great thing about the CVRDA forum is that there are no anonymous posts - the log in and password see to that. Anyhow back to the main business - my lost glasses - can someone have a look for them as Rupert thinks they might be at Whitefriars in February, while sadly I won't be.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Took me a few seconds longer than it ought to get that one, Garry...
Nigel - you need to find someone to sail the Fusion at the meeting - as a lost class it certainly qualifies. The Snark is unlikely to fall through as it is a case of carrying it from one space in the boat park to another (or, if feeling clever, taking a trolley along!). It looks like a boat that the kids will be able to use when the water is warmer to stack a few friends in and get very wet. I think the design was based on a dugout canoe!

http://www.castlecraft.com/super_snark.htm
Available to borrow for the meeting, David! Though the R bit of the CVRDA is hard to justify!

As for threads going off piste, I think it very much depends on the thread whether it matters. Sometimes it is good to ramble on, other times it just makes it impossible to have a decent discussion about a particular point. Hopefully Neil won't get too cross too often!
Rupert
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Hi Rupert,

if I can work out how to get the Fusion on the trailer I will bring it (but it is not currently insured so that would need to be sorted for racing. We could just float it past for a photoshoot). Finding a pilot is more problematic. I would guess the ideal weight is between 5 & 10 stone depending on the wind. Any volunteers or youngsters who can be pressganged (at own risk)?

Probably a good idea to give the Fusion and Snark their own start. I suspect the 3 figure handicaps would be nearing 4 figures :D

Nigel
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

Nigel wrote:Hi Rupert,

... Finding a pilot is more problematic. I would guess the ideal weight is between 5 & 10 stone depending on the wind. Any volunteers or youngsters who can be pressganged (at own risk)?

Nigel
I think that Tom would be delighted - he is about 9 St. But don't go to any trouble - if you do bring it, he would sail it, if its not possible then he will potter arround very happily crewing something or toppering.

j./
Pat

Post by Pat »

As for insurance, Bishop Skinner want £20 for third party only on the old Lark for a year. Discount for RYA membership too!.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Hi John,

I will have a look at fitting the Fusion on the trailer this week and if that works, go looking for cheap insurance. (Rupert, the modern club PY for the fusion was 1450 and that was probably a little harsh :) ). It is without a trolley at the moment so if there is something to use on the day that would be good.

I also have a surplus Concept 302 that I need to do a little work on - it will not be ready for Whitefriars but Tom may like to have a go in it at a later event. It is a proper little racing singlehander that sails off the same PY as a Topper It is somewhat overengineered (carbon foils!) and originally retailed for about 4 times the price of a Topper so it is not surprising it did not catch on but I think it is a lovely little boat.

Nigel
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

For a person of generous proportions (is that a polite way saying large?!) you seem to have cornered the market in small boats!?
Rupert
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Hi Rupert,

I prefer the term "muscular" :D .

Yes. one of those random things. The Concept is my wife's but she prefers her Laser Funboat (apologies for swearing but I am pretty sure they have no class association/racing circuit so it might count as a lost class :P :twisted: ).

We have had the Fusion for many years and I have kept it with the vague intention of using it to learn to windsurf. You can add a universal joint to the bottom of the mast, discard the rudder and and it becomes a windsurfer. I figured it would be a lot easier (more stable) than a proper board (it also has a seat which fits into the daggerboard slot and rowlocks so you can use it as a rowing skiff or paddle it like a kayak).

The Concept does perform surprisingly well with me on it (although it has been described as a submarine with a mast) and I have developed a method of getting back on the Fusion that involves climbing up over the open stern and scrambling forward as fast as possible whist the bow points skywards :shock:

Nigel