Oulton Week

Chat about CVRDA events
jon711

Oulton Week

Post by jon711 »

A great sailing week is coming up. You can turn up for one day or do the whole week. Oulton Week is sailed on Oulton Broad near Lowestoft and is a lovely stretch of water. Most of the boats sailing will be over 50 years old - although these are mostly Broads half deckers and Broads River Cruisers.. The dates for Oulton Week are 23-28 of August. Further details on http://www.wobyc.co.uk/.

Jon

I forgot to mention, although I'm not doing the week myself this year (due to financial reasons!), I will probably be race officer on Sunday....
Ancient Geek

Re: Oulton Week

Post by Ancient Geek »

I can vouch for the brilliance of Oulton Week from 1959-1965 it was our family annual Fun Sailing Week, it good sailing great watching the cruisers or hitching a ride on other boats.
I even presented a trophy "The Wherry Trophy" a half model of a Wherry with its great black sail made by Skipper Albert Stroud of Whitstable. is it still raced for I wonder? Plenty to do off the water. A great corowd still.
Simples.
jon711

Post by jon711 »

The Wherry is a very impressive trophy, it is now a one race trophy - Monday 13.03 Slow handicap. I will try to get a picture when I am there and post it..

Regards

Jon
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

I am intending to bring Agamemnon to OW, but it won't be this year. Mirror interlopers have jumped the queue....
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

Since it is Oulton Week I think this is on topic, it show how in our late teenage years we were so responsible.
Oulton Broad Regatta Week twinned with Lowestoft Sea week the highlights of my youthful social sailing and conveniently run in mid to late August when more serious sailing was temporarily put aside. My sister was being courted by at least two of my fellow sailors, sister Sue ever difficult was playing it very cool, Malcolm the 20th Earl of Caithness, and Nick the son of a local boat builder.
After that nights visit to worship at the High Altar of Ivan Darby landlord of “The Commodore” we repaired to the yacht harbour and there on board on of the more comfortable racing cruisers began to put the world to rights.
A visit to the chippy was declared essential, and my sister somewhat atypically went.
She returned with the order and a few tins one of which she opened warmed through and proceeded much to their delight to feed both Nick and Malcolm from it.
Only Malcolm seemed to enjoy the experience and declared that it was the best Beef Stew ever.
The next morning my sister proudly told my very shocked parents that she had fed them Dog Food and Malcolm was so besotted that he had eaten it.
She should not have flattered herself, to this day Malcolm doesn’t know.
Both Malcolm and Nick are still very good friends, but being a 20th Earl perhaps only Malcolm could be called a Pedigree Chum!
Simples.
jon711

Post by jon711 »

After the first day of Oulton Week - glorious weather - sun all day, force 3-4 but unfortunatly from the very worst direction possible SSW, on Oulton this means setting a good beat is nigh on impossible.

Nick Truman seemed to be struggling in his Brown Boat today, I'm sure he will return to his normal form for the rest of the week...

AG - David Hannant sends his regards....

Nessa - the best sight of the day was seeing Ben Falat get teabaged in his Contender right outside the clubhouse, his backstroke to get back into the boat was very impressive but may need more practice!!

The two Oulton Raters didn't race today - It may be that there was a little too much breeze for them. Because of this it would appear that the oldest dinghy sailing today was Wayfarer (I think) 572 (well it was 5 something something). I would guess that it is from the 60's.

It's looking like the best turnout for Oulton Week for many years - the Mixed Keel start had nearly 50 boats in it!!!

Jon
jon711

Post by jon711 »

Oh I meant to add if we can get enough boats to commit to compete at Oulton Week 2010, I have a verble agreement that the classic & vintage dinghies could have thier own start. The bad news is that we would need to know by about MARCH as that is when the planning for Oulton Week starts....
bert

Post by bert »

when will you be able to tell us the dates for the week or is it always 1st week in August?.
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

Good to know Oulton Week is still a huge success!
Any news of the Wherry Trophy?
I'd give a trophy for a CVRDA Class 2010 onwards.
Simples.
jon711

Post by jon711 »

Oulton Week is always the week directly before the August Bank Holiday Monday - The powerboats have the Broad on the Monday. So Oulton Week 2010 would be 22 August to 27 August.

The Wherry Trophy is being raced for today at 13:03 unfortunatly it hadn't yet been returned, but I'm back on Friday for the prize giving so will get a photo then...
jon711

Post by jon711 »

Please put your interest on this site... Nessa has said that she will bring Agemenon (And that is definitly spelt wrong - you try spell checking Agemmon) - all we need is over ten boats to get our own start..

The probable schedule would Mixed centres in the morning, Dinner time CVRDA "class race" and a mixed centres in the afternoon.

I need to negotiate with the club to allow the CVRDA handicaps, but I'm sure they will be compliant...
jon711

Post by jon711 »

I have just negotiated THREE races a day for CVRDA boats under CVRDA handicaps!!! - however to do three races a day we will need commitment of at least TEN boats before DECEMBER - as this is when we have to submit our start times to the NSBA (Norfolk and Suffolk Boating Association). The NSBA is the organisation that co-ordinate all regattas on the Broads.

So, if you are considering racing this regatta for a family holiday please post your interest here, and I will pass it on.

For pictures of Oulton Week 2009 please view http://www.sailshots.co.uk/Oultonweek/index.html

Jon
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

I'm in. Though it's difficult to plan too far ahead at the moment I'll try and commit to being there. Might have to leave the Finn in Norfolk so I can do Wroxham and Oulton.
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
jon711

Post by jon711 »

To whet the appetite - some pretty pictures of Oulton Week - appologies for the lack of dinghy photo's, but it will emphasise the beauty of the sights to see...
maidie.jpg
(34.42 KiB) Downloaded 168 times
Broads River Cruiser "Maidie" sailed by Mike Barnes, with "Whisper" in the background (Sailed By Bill Bacon - a famous Enterprise builder)
oulton rater2.jpg
(55.66 KiB) Downloaded 170 times
Oulton Rater "Catastrophe"
waveneys.jpg
(52.11 KiB) Downloaded 169 times
Waveney One Designs
Last edited by jon711 on Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jon711

Post by jon711 »

And some more
White boats.jpg
(57.66 KiB) Downloaded 162 times
Yare & Bure One Designs (aka "White Boats")
Brown boat.jpg
(96.1 KiB) Downloaded 161 times
Broads One Design (aka "Brown Boat") AG may recognise Nick Truman sailing BOD 20 "Spoonbill..
Club jetties.jpg
(86.88 KiB) Downloaded 161 times
General view of one of the club jetties..