2010 confirmed locations and dates

Chat about CVRDA events
jon711

Re: 2010 confirmed locations and dates

Post by jon711 »

David, you will be made very welcome. As for camper vans I may have to get back to you. While the grassed car parking next to the dinghy park does not officially allow overnight stays, when the powerboats have the Broad, thier crews turn up in HUGE Winnebago style motorhomes 2-3 days before the event and camp in the car park and not a word is said!!!! (As long as they display a valid Pay & Display ticket each day!). I will talk to the club as some other options come to mind, but would need to discuss with them first. (I'm also sure, in my drinking days, that I've crashed in the car there - but my memories of this are a bit fuzzy!!)

The club house is in the middle of a public park, and although we did get discretion one year about 20 years ago for a few tents (just outside club grounds - in the park) they did get a bit damaged by footballs, cricket balls and very drunk sailors!!
The local council only allow parking for three cars in the park, however during Oulton Week we do stretch it a bit, not sure how far we can stretch it....

I will chat with the club this weekend, it may be that some members may be able to offer a better soloution.

Jon
DavidC

Post by DavidC »

That's ok D - we will look after you up here :twisted: . As Pat says add Pyefleet on the way and find the real worlds of sailing. Brightlingsea and Oulton = just perfect. Add in Adnams, Green King and Woodfordes and you will get double perfect.

You can park the camper at mine no problem.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Roadford now has a date! It is on the 1st May bank holiday. Calendar shaping up nicely.

Would people be interested in a Whitefriars meeting at the end of March, where we join the Whitefriars boats for the 1st and last races, (our own start) but spend the middle of the day having an early season boat tuning/racing tactics/make boats & people understand more and go faster session over a long lunch?
Rupert
davidh

Post by davidh »

Okay,

Now I'm scared - very scared! An offer of help that includes the line "we'll look after you" smacks to me of 'come into my parlour said the spider to the fly'......

Dave - what I may do is come to Pyefleet with maybe a D-One, keeping the Merlin (if that be the boat of choice) for the classics at Oulton.

There is a lot looking to be happening in 2010 - not the least some exciting developments with Dinghy Sailing Mag (how about something of a refocusing - away from the international high flyers, instead more attention on the domestic Uk market. I know that the 50th Scorpion Nationals is looking to be added to my list but sod sailing one of those, that is hard work!!) so maybe Pyefleet and Oulton can get a bit of media coverage.

D
David H
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

John
Maybe the accomodation thing for Oulton could be part served by a booking for a few Motor Cruisers suitably moored up - for the full Oulton week experience.
Did you see the sad news that Jim Hoseason had died?
Simples.
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

So far as I remember whitfriars this year was the meet I tried and failed to get to with the MOGO....I would like to try again with the M boat. The 1st May is already double if not treble booked in my racing/teaching calendar.... :cry:
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Pat

Post by Pat »

Whitefriars could be fun but can we be cloned for May Bank Hol please as there's too much choice. Roadford will probably win as a favourite venue, but there's Rutland and Rock as well.
jon711

Post by jon711 »

I hadn't heard about Jim Hoseason, a real gent, a great shame.

I hadn't heard anything specific about hiring cruisers for Oulton, but we do have members and visitors that have used hire cruisers for years. It's usually a nice way to spend the week, either moor at the club, close to the social (evenings only please!), and on a buoy during the day (best place to watch the racing!)....

Topcraft Cruisers have some nice cruisers and are just across the Broad from the clubhouse, they have been popular with members in the past. Unfortunatly Jimmy Topliss died this year, not sure whether the family will keep the yard going or bow to the pressure and sell thier valuable piece of foreshore opposite the park...
jon711

Post by jon711 »

It seems that we may have at least 6 CVRDA entries for Oulton Week already...... This is looking good as there are over nine months to go.....

Richard Johnstone-Brydon is keen to make a photographic record of the event (And he is only interested in classic boats), so we WILL get good coverage in all local rags (and maybe Classic Boat). (Maybe David H and RJB co-opertate on putting a report together for all the yachting press!!).

David just be careful that locals donn't get you too attched to Adnams. We have to organise THREE deliveries of Adnams during the week to keep going (At 25 - 30 barrels a time - it can get heavy!!). Can you cope with the East Anglian Drinkers!! (And I am not one, although I used to be....)

Jon
davidh

Post by davidh »

Now Jon,

I cannot say much, else I will incur the wrath of the moderators BUT..... if you sailed at Hamble, you'd be raised on Gales HSB, a brew more potent than Nitromors and with a kick like a mule on steroids. The last time I was up in the 'east coast' the brew up there was a bit wishy washy.... I think the tommy ketchup that went on the bacon butties had more alcohol! The only thing I will steer clear off is the Green King 'Abbots' ale - I had a lost weekend on that one 505 qualifier and still cannot remember where I was (or who I was).

But your event looks a belter and deserves to succeed. With Dinghy Sailing Magazine looking to realign itself to the domestic club sailing scene, this is just the sort of events that we can feature!

Now.... is there to be a Bosham bash or not..... heart of Gods own county

D
David H
Pat

Post by Pat »

Ah Adnams, but Jon can you get Adnams Regatta? The favourite one of their stable and the only other place we've found it is Brightlingsea clubhouse, which alone is a very good reason for visiting Bsea!
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

I learned to drink at Oulton Weeks there was no clun house in those days and we worshipped mainly at the High Altar of Ivan Derby landlord of the "Commodore" pub, sadly not what it was (Neither is the beer Adnams Broadside & Regatta excellent as they are not a patch on the much lamented Stewart ans Pattisons.) But WOBYC now has a truly excellent bar, and they drink and get the worse for it like ladies and gentlemen.
It will be a great week.
Simples.
DavidC

Post by DavidC »

Don't worry David, we can find something better than the light weight Abbott. We recommend a Broadside and Barley Wine as a light warm up :lol: :lol:

Come to think of it the Australians at the Hornet worlds enjoyed Abbott and Barley Wine - well I think they enjoyed it when they remembered who they were. Ah the quiet days of dinghy sailing :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
davidh

Post by davidh »

Now come on Dave (C) - this is no time for being shy!

You're a key mover and shaker for having classics up on the East Coast, this is all on your doorstep, when are we going to get an "I'll be there in a *****" email?

Is it a case that the S*aF*re, that well known handicap bandit maximus, will not be ready in time, or will you sail the Jack Holt 11ft car toppable dinghy?

Hailing as you do from that other club, I'm sure that Oulton will lay on a barrel or two of winegums and water in case any you and the other BSC Horneteers want to attend!

Hohohoho........................

And BTW - the Unicorn does not count.

As at the last count at yours there was a

SeaFire
Typhoon
Heron
Merlin

You can hardly claim that you've not got anything to sail.

Over to you Sir!

AG - will you be making an appearance just to partake of a beer or two (with them that are drinking)??

D
David H
jon711

Post by jon711 »

David,

We don't normally have Broadside, but if enough of you guys want it, we can get it..... However be careful, the drinking normally starts at 11:00 am, is only interupted by the sailing and goes on till midnight. Even the hardiest drinkers need the "wishy washy" beer to keep going that long. I do seem to recall in my drinking days, when I was Enterprise fleet captain, that I sailed a whole series with a pint of Adnams in my hand, so that the drinking wouldn't be interupted.

However, Oulton Week is a family friendly week, I would not like it to be known as a drinkers paradise!!! (Although, if you so wish....)

Jon