Oulton Week 2010

Chat about CVRDA events
jon711

Re: Oulton Week 2010

Post by jon711 »

To reiterate, if I may, I remember competing at an Enterprise Junior Nationals that had over 50 boats at Oulton, and the amount of spare space on the Broad was embarising in the fact that we had too much!! (1980-90 ish I think!!). I feel that we could take 90 boats (How brave do I feel!!) and still have space.

The dinghy park has space (We are lucky, the dinghy park is owned by the local council, but controlled by us - so we always have space, and if you were to turn up with a strange boat, we will find a place - we aim to please!!!). the car parking is pay and display.

So there will be no excuse for not turning up, except lethargy - and I will not accept that.....

Oulton Week has been happening from before the 1900's (I'm not saying AG is that old, but he may have knowledge, of when Oulton Week started). My feeeling is that it just evolved into the GREAT event it is now....

Classic Boats, Classic Regatta, Classic Event.. What more do you need

Jon
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

I'd hazard a guess that entires are not quite as relaxed in the late 1950's early 60's, it was 2/6 and then the pool of money divvied up in brown envelopes to the first three places. All done on a cash/credit/word of mouth basis administered by the estimable David Hannant (Still very much with us.) and Mr Swann who also fired the guns. I simply collected prize money when needing more drinking vouchers, this was long before holes in the wall and plastic.
Simples.
I do remember the late Tom Percival in his National 12 requesting from the water that they enter him for the upcoming race, "Give us your money then young Percival" - Can't you take it out of my prize money", now Tom was a great chap and what he meant was; I have a lot of uncollected prize money take it out of that, but of course if it is possible to misunderstand the young people will, it was and is ever thus.
There are so many good tales of Oulton Weeks on and off the water I set out one to which I was witness below.
Oulton Broad Regatta Week twinned with Lowestoft Sea week the highlights of my youthful social sailing and conveniently run in mid to late August when more serious sailing was temporarily put aside. My sister was being courted by at least two of my fellow sailors, sister Sue ever difficult was playing it very cool. They were Malcolm the 20th Earl of Caithness, and Nick the son of a local boat builder.
After that nights visit to worship at the High Altar of Ivan Darby landlord of “The Commodore” we repaired to the yacht harbour and there on board on of the more comfortable racing cruisers began to put the world to rights.
A visit to the chippy was declared essential, and my sister somewhat atypically went.
She returned with the order and a few tins one of which she opened warmed through and proceeded much to their delight to feed both Nick and Malcolm from it.
Only Malcolm seemed to enjoy the experience and declared that it was the best Beef Stew ever.
The next morning my sister proudly told my very shocked parents that she had fed them Dog Food and Malcolm was so besotted that he had eaten it.
She should not have flattered herself, to this day Malcolm doesn’t know.
Both Malcolm and Nick are still very good friends, but being a 20th Earl perhaps only Malcolm could be called a pedigree chum!
Simples.
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

Jon, If you can get it there is good Anglia Coverage of the Wednesday of 1961 Oulton Week including an interview with a very young and sober AG and a very drunk Graham Leech, and AG taking the interviewer - one Barry Edgar - for a sail in an Enterprise with radio mikes on. Some spectacular cruiser racing with AG's family dog (A Keeshound.) jumping from the counter of one cruiser (Madie.) to the bow of another (Forester.) and so on.
Simples.
jon711

Post by jon711 »

You would be surprised how laid back the entries can still be. I recall a few years back, that I entered a race, I had just finished, using my prize money from the race that I had indeed just won. However they only normally do this, for people they know, so it is advisable to enter first And that procedure is most definitly not the norm....

Jon

But if people forget to enter races, we will still count the boat as a starter, and track you down for your entry fee later...

Classic Boats, Classic Event, Classic Regatta - You know it makes sense...
jon711

Post by jon711 »

sam mason wrote:Still no entry details on the WOBYC site. Does anyone know something I dont. Seems to me that if there are 50 odd from here plus all the other stuff space could be tight and I would hate to miss out having spent a fortune on the campsite we are on.
Web site will be updated this weekend, and will have the Oulton Week programme, and also probably entry forms..

Jon

Classic Boats, Classic Event, Classic Regatta - You know it makes sense...
sam mason

Post by sam mason »

Thanks very much for that. I can sleep again now
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

OULTON WEEK – 2010
22nd – 27th August

Sunday 22nd August Waveney & Oulton Broad Y.C.
Monday 23rd August Royal Norfolk & Suffolk Y.C.
Tuesday 24th August Beccles Amateur S.C.
Wednesday 25th August Norwich Frostbites S.C.
Thursday 26th August Waveney & Oulton Broad Y.C.
Friday 27th August Waveney & Oulton Broad Y.C.

For trophies sailed for daily throughout the week the number of races to count shall be one less than the number sailed.
Oulton Week is run entirely by unpaid volunteers – so please use the forms provided and enter in advance.
Entry fee in advance before 14.00 hrs Sunday 22nd August: - Junior helms £1.00 per race, all others £1.50 per race. Thereafter all boats £2 per race.
Entry forms available on club website http://www.wobyc.co.uk

• Fast Handicap is for dinghies with PY of 1155 or less.
• Slow Handicap is for dinghies with PY of 1156 to 1646
• Mixed One Designs is restricted to W.O.D, B.O.D., Y&B.O.D. and Squibs.
• The Bloodbath Allcomers excludes cruisers and boats with a PY above 1386.
• River Cruiser split start will be decided by the class.
• Vintage dinghies to be defined by the CVRDA representative.
• Blackburn Trophy: Four-a-side Keelboat Team Race between WOD, BOD, Y&BOD and Squibs. Helms must have competed in a class race during Oulton Week 2010 of the class they are chosen to represent.

Prize giving: Friday at 18.30 hrs under the awning.

DAILY PROGRAMME:

09.54 Mixed One Designs San Diego Trophy. Cubitt Trophy: 1st boat normally moored on Oulton.
10.42 Vintage dinghies
10.45 Fast Handicap Fireball Trophy
10.48 Access 303 Dinghies (Monday, Wednesday and Friday only)
10.51 Laser Laser Shield
10.54 Slow handicap (inc. Optimists) Cucumber Bowl & Warnes Cup
12.00 River Cruisers (fast) Combined result for Goldfish Bowl. SRCC Trophy for 1st boat with
12.03 River Cruisers (slow) handicap of 15% and above.
13.00* Fast Handicap for Dinghies Regatta Trophy.
13.03* Slow Handicap Lucy Brighton Trophy. William Brighton Trophy for 1st Junior.
13.45 Waveney OD Oulton Week Trophy
13.48 Yare & Bure OD
14.21 Broads OD Jubilee Points Trophy
14.27 Squibs Norman Blowers Cup
15.12 Vintage Dinghies
15.15 Fast Handicap Plain Sailing Trophy
15.18 Access 303 Dinghies (Monday, Wednesday and Friday only)
15.21 Laser Laser Cup
15.24 Slow handicap (inc. Optimists) Progress Cup & Ragged Robin Trophy
16.15 Mixed One Designs Regatta Trophy (The Big Trophy for runner-up; George Trotter Trophy
for 1st WOBYC helm aged 60+)
17.23 River Cruisers (fast) combined result for
17.26 River Cruisers (slow) Woodruff Trophy (except Friday)

*Friday 13.00/13.03 dinghy handicap races not sailed for points. One start at 13.00 for Bloodbath Trophy.

One Race Trophies:

Sunday: 09.54 Mixed One Designs Pensive Temptress Trophy
13.00 Fast Handicap Courage Cup
13.03 Slow Handicap Plaisir Cup
16.15 Mixed One Designs George Catchpole Cup

Monday: 13.00 Fast Handicap Catchpole Trophy
13.03 Slow handicap Wherry Trophy
18.30 keelboat helms over 40 Pensioners Plate

Tuesday evening: 18.30 BOD Junior Race

Wednesday: 09.54 Mixed One Designs Jimmy Gibbs Tankard
12.00/12.03 River Cruisers Blakes Cup
13.00 Fast Handicap Speedwell Cup
18.30 Keelboat 4-boat team racing Blackburn Trophy

Thursday evening: 18.30 BOD Ladies Race

Friday: 13.00 Bloodbath Race: Overall winner – Bloodbath Trophy
1st WOBYC Junior Helm – Talbot Trophy
1st WOBYC Lady Helm – Miss Mariner Trophy
Simples.
jon711

Post by jon711 »

Website now updated....

You will even find a copy of Ruperts CVRDA poster on there..

Go to http://www.WOBYC.co.uk, click on the sailing header, and then select sailing programmes. It should be self explanitary after that...

For, the keen racers, the Club Sailing Instructions are also on the site..

Jon

(I must admit that, even I was pleased, and surprised to see Ruperts poster of the CVRDA events featured. It just goes to show how even WOBYC are embracing the CVRDA! - I didn't request this, the club did it off thier own back - could this be just the start of a great relationship?)
roger

Post by roger »

jon711 wrote: Jon

(I must admit that, even I was pleased, and surprised to see Ruperts poster of the CVRDA events featured. It just goes to show how even WOBYC are embracing the CVRDA! - I didn't request this, the club did it off thier own back - could this be just the start of a great relationship?)
Hope so Jon.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
jon711

Post by jon711 »

And so do I. However, putting the nationals straight after Oulton Week, may not have fostered the start of a good relationship. Still, we will get over that, and, if this year goes well, maybe that will not happen again. It is in both of our interests to get get classic boats sailing...

Let's work together..

Jon
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Jon, barring 1 year, the Nationals have always been then. I looked into other possible dates, but they didn't suit the host club.
As you say, if it takes off, we can get started early on keeping the events further apart.
Rupert
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

Let's agree to try to sail as much as we can in as diversified parts of the world as possible to spread the concept of keeping these fine old boats going, original or updated, always in the spirit of tradition whatever that means to you or as Kipling put it: (Sorry about the quote and poem but he did write very good poetry!).
"Oh, East is East, and West is West, and never the twain shall meet,
Till Earth and Sky stand presently at God's great Judgment Seat;
But there is neither East nor West, Border, nor Breed, nor Birth,
When two strong men stand face to face,
tho' they come from the ends of the earth"!
Simples.
jon711

Post by jon711 »

roger

Post by roger »

Jon, We have always held the nationals on the bank holiday weekend apart from the Netley event who couldnt fit us in. The long weekend and school holidays mean it is much easier for people to travel long distances etc. I am afraid it is likely to stay that way for the forseeable future but its not fixed in stone.

I suppose it would be to much to ask Oulton week to move. :wink:

Roger
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
jon711

Post by jon711 »

Roger,

I'm glad you put the smilie on, or I may have taken you seriously!!

I am afraid there is no chance of Oulton Week changing it's dates. We need to finish on the Friday to allow the River Cruisers get to Barton Broad for Barton Reggatta.

Jon