Mayflower Report from Sat evening

Chat about CVRDA events
roger

Post by roger »

I think Ed you may have made a valid point about the camping at Plymouth. Last year we stayed at a B&B which was walking distance from the club. We now have a camper which will make thing a bit cheaper(barring breakdowns)it qualifies for cvrda membership.
On the whole this year I think a lot less people are travelling at the moment due to finances. I have heard many comments outside CVRDA regarding poor turnouts at other events. It seems belt tightening all round with more people reducing card debts etc and higher interest rates have made people more contious of what they spend.
That said I was really upset to miss Mayflower this year it is a fantastic venue.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Well of course if you have a camper.....its not a problem anyway as you can park in the carpark for the night.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
chris

Post by chris »

By the way Mark, Last year I did take my old 12 down to Plymouth. I do like sailing at Mayflower as I do so little sea sailing. I wouldn't have taken her out if the winds weren't light. I seem to remember bobbing up and down all the time!
Lois and I would have come to Mayflower but I opted for the Ranelagh event in the Iska. Even a gale in the sound would have been less hairy than trailing Iska through a jammed Putney highstreet!
By the way, Al, I have emailed Roadford asking a few points regardingn use of committee boat, barn, end room launch fee and camping, am awaiting reply. will keep all informed. Can you find out more from Alistair's daughter about what she could do foodwise and costs please.
Cheers,
chris
Pat

Post by Pat »

We didn't do Plymouth this year because we've only just bought the Merlin and want to get it all up together and get some practice before any events, particularly sea, as we are currently so reliant on the rescue boat if we capsize - bigger buoyancy bags are being ordered!

Next year we are much more likely to be up for it as we won't need to risk a borrowed boat so it will go in the calendar with all the other CVRDA events! Sea sailing isn't the issue - we do some of the Lark sea events so we'll probably try some with the Merlin. We'll generally support any that are accessible (basically south and west) and fit into the calendar. Rock was suggested as a possible if Plymouth wasn't available or as an extra event, not a replacement! There just don't seem to be many sea club members in cvrda to organise events!

Camping is another factor although if the club allows camper vans in the car park that would suit - we do that at Frensham and they make an outside loo available! Camper vans make superb towing vehicles too - my problem is suddenly remembering I've got a boat behind me when I'm doing 80 on the motorway! Best bit is the look on the BMW drivers' faces when you overtake!

Frensham and Roadford and Bowmoor are booked already and Clywedog is under consideration - what's the camping situation there?
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi Pat
Camping at Clywedog Is great nice views loo's open 24/7. Good sailing nice club.
See you there?
Cheers Al
keithr

Post by keithr »

I too was sorry I couldnt make Plymouth but work and family commitments seem to be pressing this year, hopefully 2006.

Thanks for all the positive comments re Clywedog. At the end of the day its great to get the numbers attending and as Alan says if 300 people can read this post why don't we get more takers??.

We cant do a lot more than at present by posting on the calendar and regular forum updates.

Its not just CVRDA we have over 100 members at Clywedog but most of the flag officers are doing two jobs each as volunteers for organisational posts are thin on the ground.

One bonus At Clywedog seems to be the good turnout of our own members( though that could be the fact we all seem to sailing old sheds of some class or another) which always helps the to swell the fleet size.

Keith
Two Peggies 199,100,
Flying fifteen 1855,
Flying fifteen 204 (now in the barn)
Sunbird
stu
Site Admin

Post by stu »

Well.....I've just been to Perthpean (cornwall) for the supernova nats. Launching was interesting on the 3 days for very different reasons. Friday - No wind. Saturday no wind near shore and a 4 to 5 foot swell, launching was interesting, returning to the beach resulted in a few bashed gunnels a broken rudder. I landed literally in the arms of helful club members and was picked off the top of a wave.

The sailing when the wind blew was bloody brilliant, I love the sea. The slipway is a killer. With two recent sailing events on the sea within two weeks I have to say Plymouth was easier, by far. Porthpean prettier!!

17th out of 38 I got. Best result 13th.

SUCH FUN

In conclusion sea sailing is the best (in my opinion!):D
The only canoe sailor in MY village too !

8) OK K1958
8) Mirror 34459

http://www.stuandliz.co.uk

make bow waves not chat