Mayflower Report from Sat evening

Chat about CVRDA events
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Fears of only 2 boats turning up (Ed/Stu p JollyB and Alan W - Hornet) were thankfully not so when we were joined by another couple including Alastair and Dick in Bosun and a nice Albi.

No idea of results yet. couple of races. georgeous conditions, could of done with a little more wind...but no complaints.

Must dash....curry waiting downstairs.

will report on Sunday with full story.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

Is the curry the solution for there being little wind?
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I usually find the dash comes after the curry...
Rupert
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Totally knackered....sunburnt....still got sealegs....boat caked in salt.

Best days sailing this year! Plenty of wind, plenty of waves, plenty of laughs.

Simplish course that did not work quite so well with port roundings on Saturday was just fantastic on Sunday going the other way around the course, providing a proper beat, fetch and run.

Whatever Stu and I did, Alan (in Hornet with Mark Jones) never really got away, but we never managed to get by either. Strangely enough we gained most of the time on the run, which I never really consider as the strong point for the Jollyboat, but then I have never had Stu flying the kite I guess! We had one fetch that was amongst the fastest I have had in a long time, surfing down the waves and playing the gusts....really what Jollyboat sailing is all about.

Alan will I am sure give a proper report in due time....but in terms of results if my memory serves:

1) Hornet - Alan and Mark Jones (1,1,2,1,1)
2) Albacore - (3,2,1,3,DNS)
3) Jollyboat - Ed, Stu and Max (sailing on the wire with two broken wrists in casts) (2,4,3,2,2)
4) Bosun - Alastair and Dick (4,3,4,DNS,DNS)

Big thanks to organisers, especially Jo as OOD and Alan.

Great fun!

see ya

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
Phelps Scull
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Sounds like perfect ToY weather...shame I was painting it all weekend! I'll have a working fast boat soon, though - then watch out at the gybe mark! Will there be room for a little one in the drink with the Canoes?
Rupert
stu
Site Admin

Post by stu »

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Bloody fantastic weekend, wind waves and salt, what it should be like!! Thanks all, especially my helm, and trapezing crew (two broken wrists does not stop a 'supermax'.

Room at the gybe mark Rupert, canoe sailers don't capsize, we just like to keep our sails clean!

I really want to do Plymouth in the canoe next year, but if not, a Jolly boat is a fine substitute. Maybe we'll have had some practice by then, I was somewhat rusty with this spinnaker thing, especially a proper one. I've worn out two pairs of gloves, two arms, two legs and a back, my shorts are now in shreds, and I am still washing salt from my ears. A huge genoa, in a force 4, with no cleats - Imagine how my arms feel (or do not feel, is more accurate).

Supernova nationals next weekend, more of the same weather please!!!!!!
The only canoe sailor in MY village too !

8) OK K1958
8) Mirror 34459

http://www.stuandliz.co.uk

make bow waves not chat
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi Guys thank you for your support it's a shame that more boats did not attend but people lead busy lives and it's hard to fit everything in. Hell I must be mellowing in my old age. I'm feeling more knackerd than when I sail the Finn, Hornets are tough boats to sail welll. I was nice to see Alistair crewed by Dick in the Bosun attending and Neil in the Albacore attending his first ever CVRDA Event( he's saying he would like to come to more). Ed of course always attends as Plymouth is proberbly the one place that those of us that sail trapezing boats have a chance as Boat Speed/Tactics are more important that close quarter boat handling. Please give us a shot next year we do race in sheltered sea sailing conditions and if you've never sailed on the bumpy bits you should give it a go.
The course on Saturday was a compromise to account for the shift that should have arrived with a strengthing sea breeze. Those who sailed last year will also under stand that but the said breeze did not increase. I would especially like to thank Jo and Becky, Simone,Liz and everyone else for giving help to Jo. This was her first time as an OOD and she did a great Job. Far Better than some very experienced OOD that have run World Campionships I've sailed.javascript:insertsmilie('8)')
Cool 8)
Sail fast and often.javascript:insertsmilie(':D')
Big Smile :D
Al

PS Chris water tastes of salt not dog biscuits which I thought Shearwater water tasted like last year. I know too many fishermen to much ground baiting.javascript:insertsmilie(':twisted:')
Evil [):]
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Would a change of time of year help attendence, everyone? Seems to me that as our only sea sailing event, we need to put it in a prime spot. Would having it in August and arranging things so that boats could be left for the Roadford event too help any?
Rupert
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

mmmmmm.....possibly....

though plymouth harbour get awfully busy at that time of the year and it can be hard to find a gap to put an event on.....

Personally.....I would also not like to to clash with my other fave event of the year.....Clywedog!!

but I agree that anything that we can do to make it more appealing we should do....but in the end it might just simply be that currently the CVRDA has more 'pond and ditch'sailors with boats designed for that purpose and not so many big fast dinghies that really wouldn't fit in at Chippenham (literally).

I am still less than convinced that the percieved 'safety' problems are really what causes lack of attendance.....but then I am far from convinced that Plymouth Sound is more dangerous than many smaller bits of enclosed water. True there was wind and waves on Sunday.....but the sailing is really easy and predictable. Which is safer a steady force 4-5 at sea or force 2 with force7 gusts coming from directly above or to leeward on a lake? I know which I prefer to sail in!!, but I honestly think it is safer too. I have been more scared for my (or my boats) safety on Bristol harbour than I ever have at sea.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
Phelps Scull
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

H Rupert
There are big problems in trying to put on any event in Plymouth due to the number of waterbased activities taking place. August is reserved for National, World, European Champs and Plymouth Week. We had to move the event from July because all the playboys race the only round of the World Class One Power Boat Championships to be held in Britain(next nearest S. France). These being the 100mph+ big boys of the power boat world. We have had to cancel a regatta next weekend due to a baby power boat grand prix (only 60-75 mph). Plus here are numerous yacht, windsurfing, and rowing (gigs) regatta's and series's taking place aswell as what the Navy get up to. The calendar is full and we are lucky to get a spot any where. I agree it would be better if we could close up the dates but Waterbased activities are controlled firstly by the Navy and secondly by the Port of Plymouth Sailing Association who are mainly stuffed shirts, and it is tough trying to get anything from them especially if we do not have large turnouts. You would think small is beautiful but not to these guys, (money talks eg. more boats more clout, benefits for Plymouth etc.)
Hope that puts a new light on why we are pretty inflexiable with are date. I know if we could have put it back to July we would have at least another 3-4 local boats, that Bella and Rob would also attend along with John and Lyn but their on holiday at this time. So it's a catch 22.
Thanks for raising the problem though as, it's given me a reason to explain all this.
See you at Clywedog?

Cheers Al
chris

Post by chris »

Alan , sounds like a good time, sorry I couldn't make it. yes salt is preferable to dog biscuit flavoured water but have you tried the Thames at Putney? Instant MRA, botulism and all sorts if you drink the stuff. I was quite shocked how filthy it was there - full of c..p in fact a complete but broken yatch's bog floated past and plenty to suggest that Londoners do practice safe sex. YUK.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Hi Alan, sadly (saort of) we are spending the 3 weeks before Roadford in France...
Another idea (and purely thrown into the air with no research) would be to approach the Yealm Yacht Club to see if they would be willing to run an event, in wembury Bay if weather right, or in the estury if windier. Just a thought that a rural setting with a camp site within walking distance might appeal?
For those who know not, the Yealm is a small river which leads into Plymouth sound on the devon side, a fair way down. The club is in a small village called Newton Ferrers, with Noss Mayo opposite. My Parents moved there anot 12 years ago, and it is a pretty friendly place.
Rupert
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi Rupert
I would be very reluctant to go to the Yealm.
Firstly might as well sail in a river as Yealm is Narrow vertical gusts and c,,p for sailing fast trapeze boats. I know I've sailed there often in the past. To sail out side is to sail in totally unprotected waters once again fine for the experienced but if people are put off by Plymouth and sailing inside the breakwater. Then Wembury bay is far worse especially in the S-SW winds and in anything above a 4. Which means racing would have to be in the river and down to the pool though masses of moored boats. Not the place to sail large fast boats which is why Plymouth is good. Again I know having had a nightmare of a time sailing out of the river to return back to Plymouth in a Hornet and later in my NACRA Cat after RNLI passage races also sailed a Cadet in several regatta's, open meetings as a kid at YYC. Yealm Yacht Club have also shown no interest in the CVRDA and Mayflower were the second club to offer a venue to the Association when we were small, and I feel that we should keeps this on. At Mayflower I also organise the event and fund the publicity from my own pocket 150 second class letters sent out, but we were not mentioned on the Y&Y website fixture list.
I would not bother to go to a meeting at the Yealm because of above. It's not that I can't sail on the sea having won the Scottish Hornet Champs years ago off Helensburgh in 38 knots I know I can handle the conditions. But its the thought of sailing a fast boat which cannot be unleashed in the river if conditions rise above a four. Also remember that the bar can be difficult in these conditions to the inexperienced and that the river at the lauching point and slipways dry right out involving yards of dragging boats across as my crew once put it 10,000 years of accumulate crab s..t. Start times are all so set according to the tides. I really do n't feel that this is a viable event.
Well thats my ten pennies worth.
Mayflower is not worried about the small turnout neither am I. I just feel it's a shame that people do not part take in the best SAILING VENUE on the CVRDA calendar. Accommodation is cheap loads of B&B's priced at not much more than staying at a campsite. There is stacks of stuff to do for non sailing members in the city and the shopping is the best in the south west according my young women students.

Cheers Al

Sorry you can't make Clywedog see you at Roadford
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi Chris Sailed (drifted)along the Thames back in the seventies in my Int 14. at an open at a well known club. My 18 year old girl friend started a new game as she was so bored. This was to try and identify the dead thing. Score was, and I've just checked with Kim, 1 large dog, several cats, loads of rats, 2 ducks and a seagull.
There was also a scum of oil on the surface which ruined my nice Royal blue hull finish, but I then knew where to put the boot topping as it formed one for me. She seems to remember that that the water also stank and that we had to use disinfectant on our wet suits to get rind of the smell in order to drive home -Dettol to the rescue. I also cut my leg on a piece of rusty metal on recovering the boat on the first day. Going home had to stop and have an antibiotic jab at Reading Hospital as my leg had swollen badly. I've also team raced against Reading Uni on the Thames and the cry of, "water, water" from a boat twenty feet from the bank was ignored. They then sailed into the branch of a tree; needless to say my crew and I were falling about with laughter. The helm of the other boat is now a really good friend and also an ex Hornteer.

Cheers Al

PS IF YOU READ THIS STU BEST OF LUCK AT THE SUPERNOVA'S AND GIVE MY REGARDS TO SPINEY NORMAN HALLAM.
CHEERS AL
markj

Post by markj »

Rupert
Totaly agree with Alan on this one not taking anything to Yealm it is a pig to sail from even in a yacht, when I was teaching yachtmasters I used to make them sail up to the visitors pontoon in the river, dont want to think of the amount of times we nearly hit moored boats due to gusts ETC . out side of the bar is totally exposed and not to be recomended to the less experianced. Mayflower was excelent on Sunday, but I am glad I am not the only suffering after it, I fogot how painfull sailing a Hornet with a crew deck is. Still great fun and totally enjoyable.