Bough Beech - June 19th

Chat about CVRDA events
roger

Re: Bough Beech

Post by roger »

davidh wrote:I was going to offer Roger some progrip - to stick below the waterline so that he can climb back up the hull more easily!

D
David May I remind you of the prolube incident on the sliding seat?
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
chris

Re: Bough Beech

Post by chris »

Roger and Jon - how about some industrial sized pots of super glue? It's waterproof, likes moisture to set it in a few seconds and if you can't wait that long use a spritz accelerator to set it in a few nano-seconds. The Zap version of it will penetrate the smallest hairline cracks.
And two drops on the underside of your boots helps you climb on any finely varnish upturned hull and stay there for the cameras!!!
Peter H

Re: Bough Beech - June 19th

Post by Peter H »

On the assumption that the repairs to problems (caused by collapse of trolley whist returning from second test sail) can be repaired) , Unit 7 and I hope to be there.

I have a can of dry lube that I intended to use on interface between bottom of sliding seat and bearing surface, and maybe on the central channel.

In the light of the asides regarding DavidH and prolube, can anyone fill me in on the history so that I can avoid an immediate entry in the Event Buffoon Competition?.

Also I would still rather be without her, as my workspace is too small to get her inside. I'm open to offers, and a swap of a suitable grandchild and grandfather boat might be a possibility. Grad, Miracle, Firefly, Lark? 420?, . No need to qualify for CVRDA events, some work ok, wholesale rebuild not.

Awaiting with trepedation the next catastrophy

Peter H
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Prolube and a sliding seat is a right of passage.

In the days when a number of us were sailing ICs I used prolube on the carriage to make the seat slide a bit better, but over cooked it somewhat and sprayed it on the seat - resulting in me sliding off the end. One occasion the boat crossed the finish line without me.

So when Ed bought an IC prolube was recommended but the important piece of information about being careful forgot to be imparted, I think Ed got wet. Strangely when Stu bought his IC the same important nugget was left unsaid, resulting in a slide off the seat.

So when David turned up with a Unit there was a chorus of prolube recommendations.

The IC tradition to avoid is the Hayling Island shared tub of Lanoline, though after several hours on a seat you might be grateful of something.
roger

Post by roger »

Peter. It will be great to see you and Unit 7 there. May be a swap?

Rog
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Peter H

Post by Peter H »

OK then, THAT'S alright. I should perhaps reveal myself as the onetime owner of IC60 IMP, which sank in unfortunate circumstances with me on her in 1972 or 3.

I do remember the bum rash after the Nationals at Hayling, compounded by the anti tetinus injection after cutting my hand on the allot plate that held the cowhorn tiller extensions apart.

So yes, I am REALLY old.

Peter H
JB9

Post by JB9 »

All welcome!

If anybody is keen to come but does not want to bring a dinghy there may a crewing opportunity in a Merlin.
Harrier 25
505 7163
JimC

Post by JimC »

admin wrote:Prolube and a sliding seat is...
best avoided. You are relying on friction on the loaded up points to stop plank and you sliding downhull when the boat heels, so a lubricant is most definitely a poor idea, especially as you would have to repeat the exercise frequently. Much better to get T cut or some other suitable abrasive polish and do any friction reduction that way, and it will stay right. But the most important thing is to look for high points/low points as the seat slides and deal with them so that above all its consistent in its movement...
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

In the minisail water always semed to be the best lube, but that was wood against GRP. You'd go to slide it when tacking, and nothing would happen, jammed solid. After the capsize that always followed, the seat would move beautifully!
Rupert
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

JimC wrote: You are relying on friction on the loaded up points to stop plank and you sliding downhull when the boat heels, so a lubricant is most definitely a poor idea,
in my experience with '78 definitely dangerous - only a small heel and I found myself sliding helplessly towards the rather painfully located main sheet block - bad bruise to inner thigh! You MUST have that seat non-sliding when it has your weight on it.

Enjoy!

j./
Mr. Ben

Post by Mr. Ben »

In response to Chris' original question, I've now got confirmed crew so I'll be there. Hopefully I wont arrive on the back of a breakdown lorry this year! (I'm now the proud owner of a spare wheel for my boat trailer).

Cheers
Mr. Ben
RYA Training Principal- Thames Sailing Club
Merlin Rocket Star 1842 'Emmeline'
JB9

Post by JB9 »

I thought your arrival was very effective, drew a crowd anyway.
Harrier 25
505 7163
JB9

Post by JB9 »

hello all, just a few last minute matters:-

Does anybody plan to arrive on the Friday or before 8.30am on Saturday? If so please get in touch.
The club can be tricky to find and Satnav takes you away from the club entrance.
Dogs are not allowed on the site at all, not even the car park.
The galley will be open for breakfast from about 9am, please order lunch before the first race.
The forecast is looking excellent.

I look forward to seeing as many as possible on Saturday.
Harrier 25
505 7163
jon711

Post by jon711 »

Will the club be signposted at all. I seem to be so used to using satnav, that I may struggle otherwise!!

Jon
roger

Post by roger »

Jon,

I used sat nav to get there last time and it took me down some very narrow lanes. My sat nav took me past the club entrance which wasnt very clear but there was no event on that day. May be Trevor will put some ballons at the end of the drive :D

ps on the way out the sat nav took us along sensible roads :?
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353