Thames event

Chat about CVRDA events
Pat

Thames event

Post by Pat »

Ben - do you have some more info yet to fill the blanks on the Thames page???
Mr. Ben

Re: Thames event

Post by Mr. Ben »

Good timing Pat. I've literally just had the NOR signed off yesterday.

The Thames Sailing Club Vintage Regatta is on the 17th and 18th July. There will be 3 races per day for the CVRDA fleet with single day prizes and well as overall prizes for those of you that can't stay for both days.

1st start on the Saturday will be 11.00 and on the Sunday will be 10.00. Those of you that have been before will know that the Saturday evening is the club's annual summer party and is especially big this year as the club is celebrating its 140th anniversary. This year we'll again have a live band and dancing, and posh nosh courtesy of some very good caterers we've found.

There is a small amount of camping available at the club on 'Sunset strip' on a first come, first serve basis (only about 5 tents!) but we have members willing to accomodate tents in gardens and some local places the stay that you can find on the club website at http://www.thamessailingclub.co.uk/8072 ... ation.aspx. A new Holiday Inn has been built less than a quarter of a mile away.

Entry fees are £10 per day per boat and for those that book for both days, the summer party tickets are available to our visitors only at £15 per head. (TSC club members pay £20). If you've been before you'll know that the party tends to be worth every penny!

Entry forms can be found at the end of the NOR attached. I've also attached a poster - it would be great if some of you could put a copy up at your clubs.

Hope to see some more CVRDA visitors this year. The last 2 years we've had 18 to 20 boats in the fleet - it would be great to top the 20 mark!

Cheers
Attachments
Poster.pdf
(208.91 KiB) Downloaded 241 times
Vintage Regatta NOR 2010.pdf
(108.74 KiB) Downloaded 251 times
Mr. Ben
RYA Training Principal- Thames Sailing Club
Merlin Rocket Star 1842 'Emmeline'
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I had a great time at Thames last year, and I was hoping to come down again this year, for longer. Sadly, family matters and holiday preparations are making it look like this will be impossible. I can't recommend the event enough, though. Ben is a great host, the Leader fleet (which I hope will be back?) are very friendly, and the A Raters are scary in a very impressive way. Just remember that when ducking them there is 10 foot more boat than you were expecting...
Rupert
chris

Post by chris »

Yes this is a favourite regatta that the CVRDA has been invited to for quite a few years now. having the leaders and raters too certainly makes it an excellent events - hope old father Thames behaves himself this time. Very good evening 'Do' too.
Hope to be there.
Peter H

Post by Peter H »

Although I'm close enough to cycle, and have sailed and capsized a borrowed Rater there, (AND my first ever capsize was in a Heron from Ravens Ait in the London Sea Scout Regatta, but we won the whaler pulling race!), its the weekend of our Swallows and Amazons adventure, and so I'll be about 300 miles away.

Regards

Peter H
Mark

Post by Mark »

Providing nothing else goes wrong I will use the Thames event for my return to racing (Not sure whether I will use the Mirror or the Moth yet)
Mark
RC Laser 898
Mirror 67423 Dawn Run
British Moth730 Moneybox
http://karencollyer.net
roger

Post by roger »

Welcome back Mark hope all goes well.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Any further news on the Thames event, Ben?
Rupert
Stephen Hawkins

Post by Stephen Hawkins »

Mark,

We have never met, but I have a footie in my garage.

Built from plastic card. Have to dust it off soon and see if it still works!

Steve Hawkins
Steve Hawkins

1967 National 12 2383 "Sparkle"
Mark

Post by Mark »

Stephen Hawkins wrote:Mark,

We have never met, but I have a footie in my garage.

Built from plastic card. Have to dust it off soon and see if it still works!

Steve Hawkins
Dusted mine off a couple of days ago
Need to cut some sails now,
at Whitefriars the weekend after Thames
Mark
RC Laser 898
Mirror 67423 Dawn Run
British Moth730 Moneybox
http://karencollyer.net
Mr. Ben

Post by Mr. Ben »

Sorry for the lack of updates - I've just got back from week in Sweden.

The latest news on the Thames Vintage Regatta is that Guildford Marine have kindly agreed to offer prize sponsorship once again so there should be some nice goodies to win. It also looks like the Leader fleet have once again committed to turning up en masse. A lovely bunch of people with a very CVRDAesque approach to racing. So you'll have some company on Sunset strip again this year Chris!

More news to follow shortly relating to the evening entertainments. Please let me know if you're thinking or coming or have definitely decided to come - it helps us enormously with the planning.

If you want to track the local weather forecast go to http://www.windfinder.com/forecast/london-heathrow

Hope to see some of you the weekend after next!

Cheers
Mr. Ben
JimC

Post by JimC »

Thanks for organising Ben... sadly I didn't have a fully operational CVRDA boat, and I don't think my ability to tack the Canoe and the Thames would mix... There's a report here and some pics, mainly by, as you'll see, a sadly amateur photographer...

http://www.thamessailingclub.co.uk/C188 ... _2010.aspx

I think its the first time I've ever turned up to an event at a "foreign" club as a casual guest and ended up doing safety boat cover!
Attachments
I liked this one, even though its not framed very well...
I liked this one, even though its not framed very well...
Last edited by JimC on Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

Was the G Trower in the Fleetwind Gordon Trower the yacht designer responsible for the 1/4 tonner Warchild?
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
chris

Post by chris »

I think it was a Colin, not G.

Lovely event and as Ben said the best weather and water so far. Only snag was that the boat was leaking badly. Have taken the chance of some quiet time to start replacing a few sections of planks in MR507.
Mr. Ben

Post by Mr. Ben »

Actually there were 2 Trowers competing in 2 seperate Fleetwinds. However the G in this case refers to Giles.

My thanks to Jim for stepping in to the safety boat - we were beset by illness in the race box team over the weekend so we were dragging everyone in who wasn't actually sailing!

I personally had one of the best days sailing I've ever had on the Sunday - huge fun so thank you to everyone who turned up to compete.
Mr. Ben