Cotton sail Challenge at nats

Chat about CVRDA events
chris

Cotton sail Challenge at nats

Post by chris »

Again I'll offer the Cotton sail Challenge trophy to be raced for at Clywedog. So if you have some musty cotton sail lurking in your attic for your boat do bring them. Generally cotton went out of use for racing dinghies c.1960 so this will be for the earlier boats sailing in more-or-less original condition.

We'll see what the interest is and decide if people just want best of one race or the whole of the weekend's completition, (or somewhere in between).

I have some spare merlin cottons sails so if anyone would like to borrow some for that 'authentic' (=slower) sensation let me know and I'll bring them.

The rules have been known to be a bit flexible and in the past have even included someone famously flying a cotton spinnaker hastily made from a club's table cloth!
Stephen Hawkins

Re: Cotton sail Challenge at nats

Post by Stephen Hawkins »

Chris,

Bring em along. I'll give them a go on Desperation (950), for a race or two.

Although, I beleive I have the original sails for my boat - a set of terylene sails made by Ratsey and Lamphorn (?) in Cowes - dated 1959, same year as the boats was built.

But I feel I might need a better excuse for being at the back of the fleet..... :wink:

Cheers

Steve H
Steve Hawkins

1967 National 12 2383 "Sparkle"
Steve Bailey

Re: Cotton sail Challenge at nats

Post by Steve Bailey »

Chris,
Your lovely carving has looked good on our mantelpiece since you kindly presented it to me at Clywedog last year, presumably for not swearing too loudly when I found out just how slowly I could make the old Alb go with a stretched set of cotton sails.
At the moment I don't think I can get to the National Rally, could you pm me an address to return it to please?
Thanks
Steve