Chat about CVRDA events
Rupert

Full cvrda programme 2011

Post by Rupert »

Bristol Avon 10th April

Bough Beech 30 April

Nottingham 21/22 May

Roadford 2nd May B/H

Shearwater Anniversary event 19 June - cvrda welcome.

Bosham 25/26 June

Thames 23 July with extra on 24th

Clywedog 6/7 August

Whitefriars Nationals August B/H

Hunts 17th September & join in on 18th with club.

Banbury 24 September

Thats quite a list!

Many thanks to all the clubs who have agreed to run events. With the current cost of fuel, I have a feeling that travelling is going to be limited for many to the ones local to them, so it is time now to start selling the events to home club members - the best events are always the ones with loads of local support!
Rupert
roger

Re: Full cvrda programme 2011

Post by roger »

Well done Rupert, The pressure is now on to get at least one boat ready to sail.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Pat

Post by Pat »

The blue stars are multiplying on my calendar! So which ones are to be the Travellers' series events???
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

How many do you want?

If we want a geographic spread and a mix of waters, my suggestion would be for 2011:

Bristol Avon - river, M4 corridor
Bough Beech - lake, SE
Nottingham - river, N Midlands
Roadford - Lake, SW
Thames - River, SE
Clywedog - Lake, Wales
Whitefriars - Lake, M4 corridor

4 out of 7 to count?

And for post Nats 2012:

Hunts - Lake, East
Banbury - Lake, Central

If Bosham works, and they want to do it again in 2012, then that is a possible, but only if all our boats (GRP too) can go.

I'd also love to see pairs (or 3's) of organizers of events fairly close to each other teaming up and supporting the other's events, maybe with a mini prize for people who do the 2 or 3 events involved. Trouble is, none of the events (with the exception of BASC and Whitefriars, maybe) are that close to each other...food for thought, maybe.
Rupert
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

Nottingham, Hunts and Banbury are probably near enough to form a trio.
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
roger

Post by roger »

Rupert wrote:How many do you want?

If we want a geographic spread and a mix of waters, my suggestion would be for 2011:

Bristol Avon - river, M4 corridor
Bough Beech - lake, SE
Nottingham - river, N Midlands
Roadford - Lake, SW
Thames - River, SE
Clywedog - Lake, Wales
Whitefriars - Lake, M4 corridor

4 out of 7 to count?

And for post Nats 2012:

Hunts - Lake, East
Banbury - Lake, Central

If Bosham works, and they want to do it again in 2012, then that is a possible, but only if all our boats (GRP too) can go.

I'd also love to see pairs (or 3's) of organizers of events fairly close to each other teaming up and supporting the other's events, maybe with a mini prize for people who do the 2 or 3 events involved. Trouble is, none of the events (with the exception of BASC and Whitefriars, maybe) are that close to each other...food for thought, maybe.
Shearwater doesnt have a official event this year but could easily make the triplet up.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Pat

Post by Pat »

We can make the Shearwater Gold Cup open an official event if we wish. We could just take the times from the races and recalculate on our handicaps. Jack & Jo are in the box that day and they understand our system.
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

In many ways I think it will be nicer for the Shearwater event to be a celebration of Shearwater, rather than tagging another set of figures onto it. I hope the water will be crowded with boats, and as such, any results will be best kept within that event!
Rupert
davidh

Post by davidh »

Rupert,

I've just been checking out the dates for the DeMay series for classic Merlins and I see that we're coming to Whitefriars - on the 28th June - an interesting date as that is a Tuesday!

Is it the 28th May - the 2nd Bank Holiday - or the 28th August - the CVRDA Nationals. I hope the latter - it will be good to have a reinforced fleet of Merlins, but if this is the case then it rather scuppers our chances of sailing the New Lost Class at the event!

Either way - it will be good to sail in those windshifts again AND hopefully finish a race at Whitefriars!

D
David H
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I wasn't aware that the classic Merlins were coming to Whitefriars at all!

If it is for the August B/H, then I assume it will be results taken from the overall, using whatever methods the Merlins use? In which case, no problem.

Can anyone tell me who the contact is?
Rupert
davidh

Post by davidh »

Rupert,

Answered my own question - it's the date in august as it says that this is part of the cvrda Nationals.

SupercrewJon and I think it is just a fiendish ploy on your behalf to keep us in a boat with ageing joints (the boats, not mine!) rather than a shiny all supa dupa NLC!!!

Joking aside...... the contact details that I have are
[email protected]

In the end Rupert it matters not - I'd be happy just as long as the wind stays within 25 degrees of it's nominal direction and as long as it is like this I do not mind what I'm in......Puffin, Finn and Sea Skate excepted!!

See you at teh show
D
David H
roger

Post by roger »

I have sailed at Whitefriars several times now. I hadnt noticed excessive windshifts. I suppose it depends what you are used to.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Picking the shifts is all part of inland sailing - it is certainly no different to any other lake of its size. The sea is less shifty, Shearwater and rivers more so. Certainly doesn't appear to be anything to worry about or fixate on, unless one is making excuses already...
Rupert
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Rupert wrote:I do not mind what I'm in......Puffin, Finn and Sea Skate excepted!!
This must make the Beachcomber mainstream. I shall sell her immediately! :shock:
davidh

Post by davidh »

Ouch.... and yes, I do sail inland.... Grafham, Rutland - Queen Mary even... but none of these places, nor the sea, do you get shifts like Whitefriars - but as has been rightly said, these are actually 'par for the course'.

Can I take it that at somewhere like Bristol Avon - the opening meeting of the year - or Shearwater (avoided until now) that it can get worse?

Oh my.... can we have some meetings please at Lyme Regis or Abersoch, my brain is hurting already at the prospect....it's hard enough sailing the boat without the windshifts, let alone with them!

D

A thought - bough beech was inland and it wasn't shitfy - the fact that the gusts felt like steam hammers is another matter all together

D
David H