Bosham Classic Boat Revival update

Chat about CVRDA events
Seafire

Bosham Classic Boat Revival update

Post by Seafire »

Hi,

We look forward to welcoming a large contingent of classic dinghies and dayboats - wood or grp - at the Classic Boat Revival over the weekend of 25/26th June in Bosham.

Sadly we cannot accept entries from keelboats as we simply do not have the facilities and resources to accommodate them.

More details on the event can be found at http://tinyurl.com/3arrajs or you can email our Class Captain Peter Shaw at cdbcap@gmail.com

Seafire
Chichester Harbour 18
Michael Brigg

Re: Bosham Classic Boat Revival update

Post by Michael Brigg »

I am going to meet up with Peter Shaw this week to discuss the format for the Bosham week-end, including any Social. The Sailing club will almost certainly be able to provide a good dinner and a warm clubhouse in the evening although I expect it will need to be booked in advance.

For those who choose to camp at Cobnor, the tides look good for a gentle night sail back to the camp. (Or bring a paddle.) Its about 1mile over the water or 8 miles in a car. (In my experience a few beers makes the distance feel considerably shorter and the water considerably enhances the singing! :twisted: )

Their main issues I think are with working out handicaps. I have no doubt thier own fleet is already in their system and I will find out if they need extra detail from our own "handicap committee" or wether they will run thier own system for the overall event.

Please PM me about specific details and queries, or post them here as answers may be relevant to all.
Michael Brigg
Pat

Post by Pat »

Would a Zodiac inflatable with outboard be appropriate transport to and from camp??
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

Perfect. You could even charge (for a pint or two) for passengers.

This picture gives you some idea of the distance. (Though on the night of the BSC event the Tide is High (Neap) at @ midnight
Bosham to Cobnor1.JPG
Bosham SC is on the L of the picture. You would launch from the Quay or a nearby slipway and from there down the channel to Cobnor, which you can see in the distance.
Michael Brigg
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

Bosham Quay and Sailing Club.

View from Cobnor to Bosham
Cobnor-022.jpg
As you can see, not an impossible distance. (About 3-4 widths of Shearwater ? :wink: )
Michael Brigg
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

This might also be helpful
Map to Cobnor.pdf
(50.89 KiB) Downloaded 307 times
Michael Brigg
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Hooray! I've swapped my sailing duty, got myself a pass and now I can go!

I'll be taking the Minisail - should be fun in a bit of chop, even rescue boat wake goes right over the foredeck...
Rupert
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Michael, do you have any text for me to put on the main site please, following your meeting?
Rupert
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

Lots of news to put up. Particularly about Accomodation, race format, Notice of race and the social. Ill PM it to you to put up soon.
Michael Brigg
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Loads more detail and links for the Bosham event now on its event page, even with details of the bands that have been booked. Thanks Michael!
Rupert
roger

Post by roger »

Hi all,

I raised the concern with Andrew Young of Bosham that three races back to back may cause some distress to those of us who need regular comfort breaks. He assures me that there will be several cruisers on standby for your needs. :D

Must say a great relief :? :roll:
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

Oh for a life on the Ocean wave! :)

The sense of relief and pleasure along with the invariable "I can't understand why I didn't do that an hour ago" feeling is one of the great joys of dinghy sailing at sea. The Japanese have even made reality TV shows about it! :!:

Watch this clip (All of it if your a true sadist, or just from 4mins in to get the feeling of relief :?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqxRxkO_dFw

The usual practice at sea is to find a spot down current from the start/finish area and lurk there for while. One very good reason for having a boat that will easily lie Hove to. It being tidal and murky undrinkable seawater there isn't too much concern about discharging "soluoble waste" over the side. All you need is bailer and bucket and a crew that will obediently "clean the anchor chain" while your occupied.

For those of a less Gallic nature :oops: , it is also probable that we shall be close to Pilsey Island, were you can land if you need to stretch your legs to get away from it all. As noted, there are also likely to be a few support boats around.
Michael Brigg
whacko!
Location: Emsworth, Hants; usually sail in Chichester Harbour

Post by whacko! »

Hi,

I'm planning to bring Fireball 6 along to Bosham but need a crew. Does anyone know someone who may be interested?

This particular Fireball is rigged to 1962 spec so no spinnaker or trapeze to complicate matters; old-fashioned leaning-out is very much the order of the day. Despite lack of go-fast goodies 'Six of the Best' is still pretty quick in its own right and, of course, good fun to sail!

Chris Turner
Fireballs 6, 66 and 14463
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

Michael Brigg wrote:Oh for a life on the Ocean wave! :)

The usual practice at sea is to find a spot down current from the start/finish area and lurk there for while. One very good reason for having a boat that will easily lie Hove to. It being tidal and murky undrinkable seawater there isn't too much concern about discharging "soluoble waste" over the side. All you need is bailer and bucket and a crew that will obediently "clean the anchor chain" while your occupied.

For those of a less Gallic nature :oops: , it is also probable that we shall be close to Pilsey Island, were you can land if you need to stretch your legs to get away from it all. As noted, there are also likely to be a few support boats around.
Another solution is the deliberate capsize so as to inspect the halyard / headboard of the mainsail for a moment or two.
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.
roger

Post by roger »

whacko! wrote:Hi,

I'm planning to bring Fireball 6 along to Bosham but need a crew. Does anyone know someone who may be interested?

This particular Fireball is rigged to 1962 spec so no spinnaker or trapeze to complicate matters; old-fashioned leaning-out is very much the order of the day. Despite lack of go-fast goodies 'Six of the Best' is still pretty quick in its own right and, of course, good fun to sail!

Chris Turner
Fireballs 6, 66 and 14463
Great the Fireball / Hornet rivalry can be continued. There could be two planker Hornets there so watch out we may gang up on you :lol:

Looking forward to seeing you there Chris.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353