Fixtures 2012

Chat about CVRDA events
roger

Fixtures 2012

Post by roger »

Well I managed to retire from comode but got lumbered with fixtures for a year.

So could I have feed back from Club reps whether your club would like to hold a cvrda supported event and preferred time of year.
Please lets remember that the most successful events we have had are those which have a strong classic interest at the home club and someone who will organise it.

We of course will help with advertising on the web site, help with handicapping and advice as usual.

Please could we avoid the wish list of where we would all like to sail but have no local support.

Bosham are talking about an event in September next year.

I know Shearwater took a back seat last year so do we want to alternate that one with Bristol Avon?

So let me know your thoughts .......

Rog
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
roger

Re: Fixtures 2012

Post by roger »

Oh and we need a venue for the Nats as well next year.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
JB9

Post by JB9 »

I have emailed you.
Harrier 25
505 7163
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

I am very sure you will be welcome again at Hunts! Our Sailing Secretary decides these things, and he just happens to be Race officer next weekend, so we could have a chat with him about dates etc if you like.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Brookesy

Post by Brookesy »

Roadford will be more than happy to host an event, and we are more than willing to host the Nationals, however the August Bank Holiday is taken up by the Goodacre Cup our Club Regatta and whilst visitors are encouraged the committee is concerned that it would be difficult to run the two events together and give them both the attention they deserve.
Our calander is still pretty clear although we will again be hosting Finn, laser and Topper opens so if you would like to sugest a date we will do our best to accomodate.
For those of you not aware the camping facilities have now been upgraded at the lake with an additional shower and toilet block and more electrical hook ups, so we look forward to welcoming you all.
Last edited by Brookesy on Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GBR74 ex custodian of
GBR384 Mickey Finnale (Taylor,wood)
GBR455 Rubber Duck (Taylor, grp)
FD GBR350 Supercalifragalisticexpialidocious
Obscured by clouds

Post by Obscured by clouds »

I like the idea of the Nats being at Bosham :lol: even if it is in September. Could they be persuaded?
Tony

MR 2404 Julia Dream
N18 276 Sibrwd [ongoing project]
Hirondelle catamaran Kalipse
[down to 3!]
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Bosham use somewhat different rules to run the event, so it could be rather confusing having the Nationals there.
Rupert
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

I like the concept.....

but as Ruperts says....I don't think it would quite work there.

But I would love to go somewhere 'like' that....

the problem is that for the Nats, you can't just find a club that would be good for it....you also have to find a club that can do it ...and do it right.

In our experience, that nearly always means that it is a club that has at least a few boats/members who have already traveled to other CVRDA events....so they just kind of understand what it is that we do.

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

Rupert wrote:Bosham use somewhat different rules to run the event, so it could be rather confusing having the Nationals there.
I think that with Bosham's blessing Cobnor could be a good venue. While Bosham are in the process of establishing a regular annual event, I am not sure it would be the right time this year to compete in any way, (although I think the Bosham event is much more of a local festival to which interested boats are invited in the manner of an open meeting, than a CVRDA event,) I think that a CVRDA rally could complement the Bosham set-up, as a separate event, and run to CVRDA rules, would be an opportunity for the Bosham fleet to enjoy racing outside their own organisation.

What I could explore (again) would be practicalities of using the Cobnor site as a base, Maybe this year or another, as it has all the needful bits close to it. A basic campsite, a bunk room/hostel for the less intrepid, a club house with eating facilities, an excellent local Hostelry with restaurant in walking distance, a safe easy launch area, good tidal access, extensive sheltered but challenging water, a high publicity profile opportunity, and quite probably a significant local population of CVRDA'ble boats in sheds and garages which could be lobbied all round the harbour federation.

The Campsite would be easy, the Bunk and clubroom facilities might need advance booking and bank holidays might be a problem to work around. I personally think September is the best time in Chichester Harbour, but we must remember that School and University terms can cause a drop in numbers.

The other problem of course is that they might remember Pat and Sandy (or was it Roger) tried to drown a couple of their canoists at the last Bosham event!! :lol:
Michael Brigg
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

It would be a lovely place to sail (provided the weather co-operates), but would we have someone there to run it? I started work on the WSC Nationals about this time last year, and for the last few weeks was setting it all up, ensuring everything was in place, pushing the event both in the cvrda and elsewhere (should have done more of that). We would need a member dedicated to the cause to ensure everything was going to run well, especially as the racing would be harder to organize than on a small puddle.

If we had the above, I'd be well up for it, but would owners of our more breakable boats? I'd say about 1/3 of the entries at WSC had gear failure at some point, and it is a long way home up the river, as I found out this time round.

I'd love to see a cruising weekend there, actually, unless we can get to Tamar this year, Ed?
Rupert
Brookesy

Post by Brookesy »

Netley?
GBR74 ex custodian of
GBR384 Mickey Finnale (Taylor,wood)
GBR455 Rubber Duck (Taylor, grp)
FD GBR350 Supercalifragalisticexpialidocious
roger

Post by roger »

I like Netley to Graham but some of the more frail boats didnt fare to well with the chop there and David H seems to have disapeared at present.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

Another vote for Netley, but we'd need David H to be as keen again. I think last time we had 25 to 30 knots all weekend, wherever we were boats would have struggled. Clywedog is always good. Roadford is best when there's not another large regatta on.
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I'm pretty sure David H has moved to the IOW, so I assume isn't involved closely with Netley any more?
Rupert
JB9

Post by JB9 »

The IOW would be good, we could sail there.
Harrier 25
505 7163