Roadford Event

Chat about CVRDA events
simonmossuk

Re: Roadford Event

Post by simonmossuk »

Thanks to all for a very enjoyable event, I hope to bring a few more Finns with me next time, Although I think I'll have to get my head around this sailing in light airs on lakes lark, hopefully the howls of frustration provided some comic relief!

Simon
Finn K465
chris

Post by chris »

Thanks, Alan and all at Roadford for a good weekend. By the way Al, What was the answer to the treasure hunt?... never did get the full answer.
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi Chris
The answer was Cool Old Boats
Several people got the Old Boats bit but instead of walking a further 100M to get the other O's turned back. Several people guested that it was Old Boats Club.
This should have taken place with half of the clues scattered around various parts of the Lake and reachable only by boat.
Thanks for kind words.
Regards Al
chris

Post by chris »

Ah, OK. Yes we found another O on Sunday night when we went for another walk. We had missed it on Saturday by taking a different path even though we had walked well beyond it! did anyone get it correct?
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi Chris
No.
The last O was taped on to the Shark.
Cheers Alan
nwylie

Post by nwylie »

Alan and all at Roadford

Thanks for organising a really excellent weekend , especially the wind and sunshine together for once!

Close racing and good humour was what it its all about .

We did wonder whether or not "Two Horses" would stand up to the Force 4-5 . John and I were considering what would break not whether or not. In the end most of the 1936 woodwork stood up well . We did notice the boat leaking more than usual on the Sunday so we have probably induced a crack somewhere.

Question: how do we get more people to enter their old boats ?

Neil Wylie
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Question: how do we get more people to enter their old boats ?
the $64,000 question...

and one to which there are few easy answers and even less that have not been considered.

There is only one way that I have seen work.....

It is simple: Those of us that want to go...and want other boats to sail against, have to find others to go with them.

Yes, there are a few keen experienced 'old-hands' who will just see that there is an event on....and will want to go and will turn up, but for many people with old boats, although a cvrda regatta sounds like a good idea, they have little idea of how to go about doing it....

It is only day-to-day support of these people, encouragement on and offline and immense amount of hand-holding that will change the 'sounds like a good idea' to 'great I am here, when's the first race'.

This is what Chris B has been so very good at in the past.

We should also really encourage local-club boats and aim to have roughly 50% local to 50% visitor boats at our events and this means we need to really work hard to involve other home-club members (who may not normally sail classic boats) and encourage them to find classic boats, even lending them out to make sure there is a large host-club involvement. We used to really do this at Roadford (and did a bit this year). It looks to me like Nessa is good at this too.

We have suggested giving a discount to anybody who brings a friend with them?

But in the end, I think it is only the real-world person-to-person effort that builds numbers at regattas.

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I was talking to the Hunts British Moth sailors at the Whitefriars Moth Open, and it seems Nessa is doing a damn fine job of getting people's awareness of the event at very high levels, so I think we will get an excellent home boat turnout there. I suspect we might need visitor prizes, too, so Hunts boats don't win everything!
Rupert
RonnyDG

Post by RonnyDG »

Ed wrote:

We have suggested giving a discount to anybody who brings a friend with them?
Maybe it's the moment to bring it up.

One of the Finn sailors at my club wants to join Dean and me for attending the Bough Beech event in August, only he won't be able to bring a boat (no roadworthy trailer, no trailing hook, recent boat - a pitty he used to sail a nice OK not that long ago).
I was reluctant to invite him since that could be regarded as not done. My Minisail would show severe transom drag if he had a go in it so one way or the other I would have to ask for a boat.

Before you suggest it, no I am not fishing for a discount :-)
Greetings,
Ronny
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

I've done a write up for the Classic Finns. Shall I expand it for the CVRDA results or will someone do a separate one? I'd like to send it to YandY with some photos if poss.
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi Peter could you expand it for Y&Y.
Cheers Al
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Like the write up on Y&Y, except that they seem to have got confused over the status of the event, and have called it the National Rally. Any chance of getting them to change the headline?
Rupert
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

Sorry about that Rupert, I will email them and ask them to change it, although why they decided to call it that I'm not sure.
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

Just got a reply from Mags, he copied it from last year and will change it.
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Thanks Peter - it had the look of a Y&Y headline to it!

Didn't want people getting confused about Hunts.
Rupert