Bosham Revival 2013 Get your entries in early!

Chat about CVRDA events
Michael Brigg

Bosham Revival 2013 Get your entries in early!

Post by Michael Brigg »

85 entries (!) last year make this the biggest event of its kind that is frequented by the CVRDA and Bosham have consistently given superb hospitality. There is a possibility this year of "selling out" so an early (ish) entry to this event would be wise if you want to be a part.

Unique tidal sea racing within sheltered water and a genuinely beautiful setting. Last years Sunday gale was testing, but for me was part of the fun.

Notice of race and entry form is here...

http://www.boshamsailingclub.com/dinghi ... db_revival

I will try to look up accommodation options. I travel over both days from Gosport with plenty of time to spare as the start times are reasonably generous for the social sailor.

There are a few of us in the Solent area who I am sure could welcome the odd traveller, and if you are quick Bosham SC have a few members offering hospitality as well.
Michael Brigg
davidh

Re: Bosham Revival 2013 Get your entries in early!

Post by davidh »

Hi Michael,

I'm 'working' the event for a number of publications here in the UK and abroad, though if possible I will wish to sail as well. Can you let me know who your Press Agent is and I'll arrange an interview...." From Plato to the Firefly,my life in classics"............

But you are right to highlight this event, it's a great weekend and the clearest evidence (to me anyway) of the direction that the classic dinghy scene is heading.

We're hoping to stay down so will see you then.

Cheers

D
David H
Pat

Post by Pat »

Sorry we can't go this year but it clashes with the Lord Birkett race at Ullswater.

Hope it goes well.
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

I will not go to this event again until someone tells me the safety boats will be equipped with vhf radios, the safety boats won't drive into competitors on the race course, the safety boat crews will listen to the dinghy crews when recovering a dinghy, instead of ignoring them and making the situation so much worse, the safety boats realise they can tow more than one dinghy at once, they realise it is not acceptable to leave an upturned dinghy with two crew standing on the hull for over twenty minutes in a flood tide, they don't then dump said dinghy on the foreshore with a comment about it not being seaworthy. The boat was entirely seaworthy until the clumsy (the most forgiving word I can think of to use) recovery process sent the boom through the side tank. Absolutely no one from the club helped us recover the boat from where it was left four foot deep in water, but we did manage to hear the sounds of merriment from the prize giving while we struggled to get it out, with the help of a few visitors. There was no food left for us afterwards, even though we were one fo the few to complete the day's racing.

I did send a message about this to one of the orgnaisers but got no reply. If this is the way the classic dinghy scene is going then I don't want to be part of it.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

@Nessa,

I value what you say and know that you talk with a great deal of experience in the provision of rescue-boat cover for dinghy events, so your words are worthy of some real consideration and thought. We understood that you had concerns about the rescue cover after last year and I think it is a pity that no-one from Bosham came back to you to discuss the issues that you had.

Like you, I had to be rescued the year before, after we broke the rudder gudgeon and needed to be towed back. My experiences were different and the recovery was undertaken in a professional and helpful way.

Many boats over the last few events have had to be rescued. Many were rescued with no problems, however I know that there were a few cases where crews and helms felt that the rescue cover was not up to the standard that they expected. I fear it is often the way that when many boats are rescued, that some will have a better time of it than others.

I think it is fair for you to say that you felt your experiences did not live up to what you expected, but we must take care to not damn the whole event on what may of happened in a few cases. We don't know what Bosham thought of the rescue cover they provided. For all we know, they may well learnt from their past experiences and decided to increase the level of safety cover for this year.

In my experience, I have found that sailing at sea and estuary (rather than a lake), often throws far more onus on the helm/crew/owner for taking responsibility for their own boats, whilst rescue crews have to make their own decisions about prioritising the safety of crews. I do not have your experience in sailing or rescue-cover, but when I sail on a lake, I normally expect a rescue-boat to be in my attendance (after breakage/capsize) within mins to rescue people and property, however, there have been times when I have sailed on the sea without any rescue cover at all and know that what cover there is, will be for 'people' not 'property'.

I am not saying this is 'right' or 'wrong' but as a helm and owner, I must take the type/level of saftey boat cover, the condition of my boat and the weather into account when I decide whether to go sailing at an event, whether it is on a lake or undertaking a long distance passage race.

No level of safety cover can remove my responsibilty for making these decisions myself.

Now, I understand that in effect you are saying that you felt the level of safety cover fell below what you expected of such an event. That is your opinion and within boundaries, you are able to say that here on the forum, but others, myself included will look at the safety-cover and consider it adequate to provide for the safety of myself and crew and wish to sail.

I don't think 'this is the way the classic scene is going' and for myself, I would be far more worried about creating the presumption that racing can not be undertaken unless it is accompanied by the level of safety cover that we often enjoy on a large 'teaching' lake. This would simply make a great deal of sailing at sea and on estuary impossible to undertake.

I will let this thread run for a while, as I am sure others will be wanting to say their bit.... I would certainly welcome any thoughts on this from Bosham?

But please take care, I will not hesitate to delete/edit posts if you stray over the line of our 'forum rules'.

Best wishes

Ed - the first admin to get here, voicing his own opinion rather than CVRDA policy :-)
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

It was on my 'must do' list for this year but the Lord Birkett got in first!
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

I am tempted by the Birkett, but all that way in a low rider moth?
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

I'm foregoing the pleasures of Bosham for medical reasons. But I wonder if "The Shed" would have been welcome at this event and it is seaworthy.
Cheers Al
Pat

Post by Pat »

We weren't unwelcome with the Tupperware albacore at Bosham for the last two years Alan. We didn't go out on the rough day last year but a factor in that decision was the previous years experience of being rescued when the safety boat driver didn't understand head to wind and pushed us into the mud instead of pulling. It took a second rescue boat from a school group to sort things out.
It is a big event and must be difficult to find people able to do rescue when so many of the members who understand dinghies want to sail. It is the one or two bad experiences that get noticed and I'm pleased to hear of good ones. We would have gone again if the dates hadn't clashed.
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
roger

Post by roger »

I wasn't there last year but I was rescued the year before and a very good job they did helping me to right the boat as I was exhausted and couldn't get on to the c/b (Shoestring floats very high and I am getting old).
The support when I got back with a damaged mast was fantastic and we were back on the water the next day. Love the event and will go again( I hope).
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Seafire

Post by Seafire »

I have noted with interest the various comments on the forum regarding the Bosham Classic Boat Revival and should like to make a number of quick comments.

1. We are always sorry to hear when a competitor has had a difficult time at any event at Bosham - in this particular instance it was an isolated incident (still a very valid one) and we are well aware of the issue and whilst we may not have responded directly we certainly have taken the comments onboard. As someone quite rightly commented, an isolated incident like this should not reflect on the event as a whole. 78 for and 1 against I would say is most positive, equally 1 negative is still one too many.

2. I'm very pleased to hear that those that did get into 'trouble' either in 2011 or 2012 were well dealt with. If my memory serves me correctly it was honking on both days in question and would have taxed any 'patrol' (rescue) element, particularly when all the RIB's are manned by volunteers with varying experience of operating in these tricky conditions.

3. For this years event we are not running with random volunteers per se, but have requested selected experienced club members take up these duties, so whilst we cannot 'guarantee' top levels of cover, we have certainly addressed the issue raised and hope that they are not needed!

I hope that puts a few minds at rest that we are not ignoring anyone, but do value legitimate feedback and comments and are always looking to raise our game.

We always look forward to welcoming CVRDA members - please do get in touch if you have any comments or queries regarding anything.
kfz

Post by kfz »

Ed wrote:@Nessa,

I value what you say and know that you talk with a great deal of experience in the provision of rescue-boat cover for dinghy events, so your words are worthy of some real consideration and thought. We understood that you had concerns about the rescue cover after last year and I think it is a pity that no-one from Bosham came back to you to discuss the issues that you had.

Like you, I had to be rescued the year before, after we broke the rudder gudgeon and needed to be towed back. My experiences were different and the recovery was undertaken in a professional and helpful way.

Many boats over the last few events have had to be rescued. Many were rescued with no problems, however I know that there were a few cases where crews and helms felt that the rescue cover was not up to the standard that they expected. I fear it is often the way that when many boats are rescued, that some will have a better time of it than others.

I think it is fair for you to say that you felt your experiences did not live up to what you expected, but we must take care to not damn the whole event on what may of happened in a few cases. We don't know what Bosham thought of the rescue cover they provided. For all we know, they may well learnt from their past experiences and decided to increase the level of safety cover for this year.

In my experience, I have found that sailing at sea and estuary (rather than a lake), often throws far more onus on the helm/crew/owner for taking responsibility for their own boats, whilst rescue crews have to make their own decisions about prioritising the safety of crews. I do not have your experience in sailing or rescue-cover, but when I sail on a lake, I normally expect a rescue-boat to be in my attendance (after breakage/capsize) within mins to rescue people and property, however, there have been times when I have sailed on the sea without any rescue cover at all and know that what cover there is, will be for 'people' not 'property'.

I am not saying this is 'right' or 'wrong' but as a helm and owner, I must take the type/level of saftey boat cover, the condition of my boat and the weather into account when I decide whether to go sailing at an event, whether it is on a lake or undertaking a long distance passage race.

No level of safety cover can remove my responsibilty for making these decisions myself.

Now, I understand that in effect you are saying that you felt the level of safety cover fell below what you expected of such an event. That is your opinion and within boundaries, you are able to say that here on the forum, but others, myself included will look at the safety-cover and consider it adequate to provide for the safety of myself and crew and wish to sail.

I don't think 'this is the way the classic scene is going' and for myself, I would be far more worried about creating the presumption that racing can not be undertaken unless it is accompanied by the level of safety cover that we often enjoy on a large 'teaching' lake. This would simply make a great deal of sailing at sea and on estuary impossible to undertake.

Ed, absolutely agree. But it works both ways. The level of team work, mutual support and concern is that much higher. It should be and it has to be.

As a mostly estuary sailor I find the atmosphere at inland clubs a bit strange. Example, where the crew waiting behind you on the ramp will sit and watch you struggle with an old overweight fully laden GP, trailer and child crew rather than assist. Would never happen at a coastal club.

Not in any position whatsoever to comment on the Nessa post, Ive left casualties to anchor before and moved on to the next one. But to dump a boat on the shore and leave behind for the crew to recover. Thats not good.

Kev
roger

Post by roger »

kfz wrote:
Ed wrote:@Nessa,

Ed, absolutely agree. But it works both ways. The level of team work, mutual support and concern is that much higher. It should be and it has to be.

As a mostly estuary sailor I find the atmosphere at inland clubs a bit strange. Example, where the crew waiting behind you on the ramp will sit and watch you struggle with an old overweight fully laden GP, trailer and child crew rather than assist. Would never happen at a coastal club.

Not in any position whatsoever to comment on the Nessa post, Ive left casualties to anchor before and moved on to the next one. But to dump a boat on the shore and leave behind for the crew to recover. Thats not good.

Kev
Bit of a generalisation there Kev.
Have to say exactly that happened to Angie and Catherine at an Estuary club. They were struggling to pull the old geep up through the gravel and onto the slip and lots of locals just sat and watched. It was other visitors who helped. At Shearwater (our puddle) there is always help with boats. You could of course be referring to the larger more professionally run lake clubs in which case I would agree but Nessa`s club certainly isn't like that.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

Time for a roll call...

The forecast for Bosham is excellent. Clear skies and a fresh north Easterly Force 3-4 over the whole week end, though Calm overnight. The Clear skies and Warm weather might moderate that somewhat during the day as a Sea breeze might try to establish itself over the harbour.

So bring the waterproof sunscreen for some "Champagne Summer Sailing."
Bosham Quay.jpg
(30.03 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Tides are midway between Neap and Spring, High tide is 10.00 on the Saturday, 11 on the Sunday. Unlike previous years that means the tide wont be sweeping you home for tea, but wit a good breeze that shouldn't be a problem, though with an Easterly emphasis on the wind, and an ebbing tide during the racing, I can forsee plenty of opportunity for short tacking up a muddy shore, a challenging feature of Chichester Harbour racing (unless the PRO sets us Olympic courses :cry: .)

The entry is down a bit this year which some people might prefer, though last W/E at Itchenor Burgee there were a mass of TW12's out. (Surely not all from Bosham. I presume it was an open meeting.) Conditions look perfect for a great week end.
Michael Brigg
JB9

Post by JB9 »

Don't forget there will also be prizes for our Concours d'Elegance, which this year will be judged by yachting journalist and classic boat aficionado, David Henshall
Harrier 25
505 7163