2014 events!

Chat about CVRDA events
PeterV

2014 events!

Post by PeterV »

Well I seem to have been persuaded to take on fixtures for 2014. I'll contact the usual suspects later in the year about fixtures or if you have any plans already please let me know. We've had some really good events this year and the 'formula' of an enthusiastic club with a reasonable number of classics already seems to work across the country.
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
roger

Re: 2014 events!

Post by roger »

Well done Peter.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Thank you Peter!

I think you have summed up what it takes to run a great cvrda meeting perfectly - one reason why I've not run another at WSC recently - there just aren't enough families interested in the classic boats there to get the local support like Hunts had. Pity for the Andrews and the Whelans...
Rupert
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

I'm sorry you're not getting support at Whitefriars Rupert. I can sympathise because at Staunton Harold everyone turns their nose up at anything over 5 years old, and that includes all the kids! They're all in very expensive Oppies, 420s or 29ers. Some people have only started talking to me since I bought the new Finn!
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
Pat

Post by Pat »

Too many folk with more cash than dash!
Baltic Wharf is the first thing that needs attention as the exact date needs confirming - I guessed when putting it on the list as "same date next year" fell in between two weekends.
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

I'll contact Nigel and confirm.
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

People do like the old boats at Whitefriars, or at least smile and say how nice they look, but those who own them either never go sailing at all or just take quiet trips out when the sun is out, none of which makes for a cvrda weekend.

I will (once confirmed with the club) be putting on the Minisail Nationals at WSC this year, though. We have decided that whilst we will do all we can to get people to West Wales for the cvrda Nats, it might be a step to far for the international travellers, so we will be doing a stand alone weekend for the nats. Boat finder service is available!
Rupert
JB9

Post by JB9 »

We do not have a large contingent of qualifying boats at Bough Beech and I have not seen significant numbers of visitors (other than the Nationals) either. Perhaps a theme, as put forward by David, would help and seeing as I have two single trapeze doublehanders perhaps that would be a good start?
Harrier 25
505 7163
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

A theme would certainly be good. The PY system certainly works best between boats with similar types of performance.
Rupert
trebor

Post by trebor »

I would be interested in organising a beach boat event next year,( more than half the sailing fleet qualify for cvrda events ), their are 2 cvrda members at club, Paulr with his Minisail and myself with Aquabat, a couple of old Lasers, their is also a 50 year old mirror which sails every week, I do not know all the beach boats ( Toppers, Lasers etc ) but all would be welcome, perhaps we could go back to the seventies and find out why the Laser became so popular?
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia
http://www.aquabatdinghy.co.uk
Stephen Hawkins

Post by Stephen Hawkins »

I have the same issue at SCSC (South Cerney), which is why I have decided to move to Rupert's club, Whitefriars SC. I would rather 'bolster the numbers' than be on my own at my club. Too long being a square peg in a round hole.......

Not that any of you have seen me this year, but I am sure Rupert will 'cajol' me into getting off my backside next year!

I am sure we looked a picture yesterday on a sunny afternoon, two varnished wooden dinghies, a National 12 and a Firefly, chasing each other, and a nice painted wooden Ent, round the lake. Rupert and Charlie let the side down in their plastic Lightnings, but you can't have everything! :wink:

Cheers

Steve H
Steve Hawkins

1967 National 12 2383 "Sparkle"
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

We got the nice view of varnish from where we were!

Rob,

I like the idea of a beach boat event, by the way. Should it be somewhere with a beach?
Rupert
trebor

Post by trebor »

Hi Rupert, I would like to sail on Sea, it would be ideal, but how many Minisailers and other old beachboat sailors are fit enough to sail on Sea, boats would also have to be "able". we would need a member who sails at a Beach club to organise this. I would definitely be up for this.
Their is a Beach of sorts at our club, plus it is 5 minutes from junction 1 M5, their are 2 Minisails and my Aquabat, plus Mirrors and Toppers, Lasers etc, Plenty of old boats, water is drinking water quality, it would be a relaxed friendly meet. laid back like the "sixties".
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Beaches don't have to be on the sea!

I love the idea. If we can promote it on here, but have it open to all sorts of beach boats, then we might get a good selection to go play in.

Maybe this is one to sort a date for with your club and with Peter on here, so it doesn't clash with other things, and then put it out to the non-cvrda owners of oddball beach boats, somehow, as well as your club members.
Rupert
trebor

Post by trebor »

I will speak to club and find out what dates would be available.
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia