MOTH SPOT ... ROADFORD RALLY

Chat about CVRDA events
alan watson

MOTH SPOT ... ROADFORD RALLY

Post by alan watson »

Hi Everyone,

ROADFORD MOTH SPOT

The MOTH SPOT at Roadford has been extended to include an invitation to ALL LOWRIDER MOTHS. So it's a wonderful opportunity to sail in 60 years of Mothing.

It's listed in the club website as a two day event but Alan Williams would like to have an idea of the numbers who might come. So while people are planning to sail at Hunts I thought a note about this new Moth Spot might be timely.

The dates listed on their site are June 7th and 8th ... ..more details to follow but do please let me know if you are thinking of coming.

Best Wishes
Alan (Watson)
alan watson

Re: MOTH SPOT ... ROADFORD RALLY

Post by alan watson »

Hi Everyone

FOR ANY QUERIES RE HUNTS OR ROADFORD

My contact details are:-

ALAN WATSON
alanwatson@inbox.com

Alan
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

All the info for Hunts is on the Hunts thread. I'm not sure if we are coming to Roadford, I expect it depends on dog sitters, knees etc, but if we do I can bring a couple of moths. Probably a Skol and the little greeny. If there is interest in borrowing one do let me know and I will endeavour to bring all the parts! I should probably try and also bring all the sails etc because I know I have spares. In fact I have spares of all sorts of things. Maybe we could do a moth swap shop?

Edited to add that chances of attending would be enhanced if Her Indoors thought she could bring her new plastic fantastic purple Lightning for a jolly....so a moth on the roof, a moth and a lightning on a double stacker, pretty please?
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi Nessa
Roadford SC will be racing on the Sunday and Nicky would be welcomed to sail in the club racing.
Cheers Al
Pat

Post by Pat »

Nice thing about Roadford is that it is pay and play sailing every day as well as the racing, so sailing is available for non-racers or non-cvrda!
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
Pat

Post by Pat »

The CVRDA Lowrider Moth handicaps for this season are:

Int Moth - 1970-75ish 99 Womble, Stockholm Sprite, Poacher, Mistral
Int Moth - Shelley 1965-70ish 100 Shelley built 1965-70
Int Moth (Magnum 3,4) 97 Magnum 3 and 4 and any other design of Moth still racing built in the early 1980's
Int Moth (Magnum 5,6) 96 Magnum 5 and 6
Int Moth (Magnum 7,8) 92 Magnum 8, Axeman 1, Blitz1and 2, Gentleman Jim
Int Moth (Magnum 9) 89 Magnum 9, 9.5 Axeman 2 to 5, Pearce 6, Blitz 2and 3, Aussie Axeman and equivalent designs first built between 1989 and 1995 example Ghoul 3
Int Moth (Magnum 9.9) 87 Hungry Tiger, Axeman 6 & 7, Skippy 1,2, and 3, Magnum 9.9 any other designs first built after 1995

These may be amended by the handicap committee using the data collected.
They are NOT open to discussion at this time. (That type of discussion is for the Y&Y forum :wink: )
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

Where are the Skols on there?
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Skol has sailed of 99 in the past.

Another aspect to this is what rig the boats are using. A Shelley with the "new" sail plan would be a total bandit off 100. Trouble is, with only Ian having sailed one at an event, we don't know how an average sailor would do in it...
Rupert
alan watson

Post by alan watson »

Thank you very much Pat

Rupert has a point but none the less that seems a really good start to the devilishly ticklish question of handicaps.

Seeing that list of utterly wonderful dinghies and Nessa's pic of a beautiful Moth all I could think of was...

"How wonderful, how exciting, how gorgeous, how fantastic to see as many of those famous designs sailing together and doing what they were built to do...race each other".

All I can say is go to Hunts and , having gone to Hunts, come to Roadford for a sail through the decades. There will be prizes !!!!

Very Best Wishes
ALAN
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Alan - certainly not meant as a criticism of what we have so far - just another aspect to take into account. What I hope is that we get some genuine comparisons from seeing the Moths out together, from which we can come to better conclusions.

I wish I wasn't booked to run the juniors that weekend, as your quote makes it sound like a great place to be!
Rupert
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

Still want to be an SI? I can't go to Blithfield because I'm running a level 3.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Given I have to be there as Junior chairman, I may as well be hung for a sheep and all that...

But no, not sure at all! Currently trying to find enough DIs for Sunday, though I'm hoping the weather will put a few of the students off!
Rupert
alan watson

Post by alan watson »

Hi

There is considerable interest from the UK International Moth Class (most of whom sail the latest flying boats but like me have great affection for the vintage classic modern and outmoded [Could they be the four categories] Moths that look and often sail beautifully.

So far there are requests from two to borrow a moth to sail there. I intend to bring both magnums 8 and 9.9 but if there is anyone out there who might be willing to supply another please let me know. (I would suggest on a break and pay for professional repair basis and proper experienced moth sailors only).

It would be just so great to have a selection of Moths sailing through the decades (get 15 and we get our own course - I fancy relatively small courses so all the Moths keep in contact and if its windy a wonderful close reaching blast across the lake that these dinghies excel at.

But most of all a lot of fun.

Best Wishes
ALAN
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

Still waiting to hear if Jonny is bringing the greeny. If not it could be borrowed but I can't easily get it there. Same applies to a Skol.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
bornagainmothie

Post by bornagainmothie »

I'm going to be there with one moth, probably Mag7 unless by some miracle I manage to complete the Sprite in time.
Happy for others to have a go if conditions are suitable.

Lyndon