Classic/ Lowrider Moth training at Oxford SC

Chat about CVRDA events
alan watson

Re: Classic/ Lowrider Moth training at Oxford SC

Post by alan watson »

Hi Ian
What a great idea. I shall be there and looking forward to it.
Are we all going to try and give Roadford a Moth focus like last year.
ALAN

PS LOOKING TO SELL THE MAGNUM 9.9
Spiderman

Post by Spiderman »

Hello fellow Mothists,
Well Hunts CVRDA open has been and gone and the three Moth sailors who ventured over to St Ives enjoyed some great racing and a fair degree of success gaining first and third overall in what can only be described as "tricky" conditions especially on the Sunday. "Dyneema Dave" has done a cracking job on the ex minty green mystery moth and did extremely well finishing all 3 races on Saturday in a virtually untried boat! With better controls and maybe a new sail this combination has a lot of potential.
For those that didn't come to Hunts, don't forget the Moth Training day at Oxford SC on Saturday 6 June. For those that would like to stay over on the Saturday night and club race on the Sunday why not join Lyndon, myself and a few others at Hardwick Park campsite (http://www.hardwickparks.co.uk/) which is about 15 minutes drive from Farmoor Reservoir. There is a nice clubhouse with a bar that serves food and has tables outside if the weather is fine. There is a decent pub in the nearest village that also does food and is walkable from the campsite.
Depending how far people are willing to travel I would like to start reasonable early on the Saturday to make the most of the time available so ideally I would suggest turning up around 10:00 if possible. As I said in an earlier post the programme is fairly loose, but if people let me know in advance of any topics they would particularly like included I can make sure that I include those. Usual caveat applies that depending on the conditions we may have to be a bit flexible and amend the programme, but I am confident that everyone will get something useful out of it. If you require any further information don't hesitate to ask and please let me know if you intend to come as a rough idea of numbers will be a great help.
Only a month to go so for those with unfinished projects maybe this is the incentive you need to burn the midnight oil and get your boats ready in time. With the CVRDA Nationals at Roadford only a few weeks afterwards the training might just inspire you to give it a go.

Happy Mothing

Ian M
solentgal

Post by solentgal »

Hi everyone......I've just come back from an attempted sail in the Scow...... I say attempted, as by the time I was all rigged up and ready to go, my ongoing neck injury was too painful to sail, and with no safety cover I decided that I couldn't risk it.
The outcome of this is that I have decided that I really can't continue sailing anything this lively, so she is up for sale (already on the Facebook dinghy page).
If I haven't sold her by the time this event takes place I may well come along anyway, just to see what's going on, but I doubt I'll be sailing.

Feeling really down about this, but I have to be realistic I think sadly :(
Sami.
milesj

Post by milesj »

Ian, I'll be travelling down on the Friday, so will be able to get to venue in time.

As to what I'll need tuition in: Getting back on the damn thing!
Miles

Harrier no 5
International Moth, Magnum 7 K3905
Ancient Mirror Dinghy
Merlin Rocket 3542
Merlin Rocket 3646
Moth.K3894

Post by Moth.K3894 »

Hello,

As long as I can get one sail in before the 6th I will bring my Magnum 7. Not sailed a moth before and just bought mine so I need to make sure it floats first. Then I will be in the same position as Miles, how do you get in?

Thanks
Mike

K.3894
milesj

Post by milesj »

Mike, if your 7 is anything like mine, just make sure it floats when it's on its' side.
Miles

Harrier no 5
Ancient Mirror Dinghy
Merlin Rocket 3542
Merlin Rocket 3646
Spiderman

Post by Spiderman »

Hi everyone,

Just a quick update on the Moth training. So far we should have at least a couple of boats down from Greensforge, Alan from Bristol in the Magnum 8, Miles bringing his 7 all the way from Abersoch and possibly our latest Moth convert, Mike with the psychedelic Magnum 7 from the South coast.
Now then what about Sami with the scow?
The outcome of this is that I have decided that I really can't continue sailing anything this lively, so she is up for sale
Sami, I think that you should still come to Oxford with your boat and if the conditions are not too extreme take her out for a gentle sail and see how you get on. There won't be any waves or tide to worry about and there will be plenty of people to help you rig up and launch. There will also be a safety boat on the water at all times while we are sailing. Even if you don't feel like sailing it would be great to see your boat up here alongside some other Moths... Dougal would love to get some decent photos showing the diversity of Moth designs through the ages! My final thought is that even if you do decide that the sensible option is to part with the scow, wouldn't it be nice to have at least one sail in her first? Also what better place to advertise a classic Moth for sale than at a Moth gathering?
Anyone else out there with a Moth who I haven't already mentioned that thinks they might benefit from a bit of Moth specific training then please consider coming along to Oxford. I can't promise to take you fom zero to hero in one day, but between myself and Lyndon I think we can at least get you off the bottom rung of the ladder to success!
Only 4 weekends to go now so please let me know if you would like to join us at Oxford SC on 6th June.

Best Regards

Ian M
JimC

Post by JimC »

I'd like to turn up with unSkol, but I'm having trouble getting down to the workshop at the moment. That's the issue with rebuilding a boat 40 miles from home!
solentgal

Post by solentgal »

Ian..........Thanks for your input, it seems we were thinking along similar lines re bringing the scow along etc........but I put her on the Facebook dinghy page, and to my amazement I had a lot of interest and she sold straight away! A shame in many ways, as I also thought it would be interesting to see the diversity of all these craft in one place, and a good photo opportunity for David too.

The new owner is somewhere up in Lancashire I believe, and he is aware of what is going on on the CVRDA, so I think the scow may turn up at events in the future possibly.

I would still like to get along on the 6th if I'm able, just to meet everyone and have a look at the boats. It's unlikely I'll ever sail a Moth again now, as much as I would love to, but I'll always be interested in them. :)
Sami.
milesj

Post by milesj »

OK, one night camping booked at lincolnfarmpark.co.uk (business comparison!) for Friday night.
Miles

Harrier no 5
Ancient Mirror Dinghy
Merlin Rocket 3542
Merlin Rocket 3646
bornagainmothie

Post by bornagainmothie »

News from the Greensforge moth fleet - Colin now has a usable man shed and is working hard to get the orange Skol patched up in time for Oxford.
May not be pretty, but its a start!
davidh

Post by davidh »

Ian, Lyndon, Alan and all the other mothers,

Make sure that you snip off all of those tatty raggly bits of your wet suits and put on your best smiles, this looks like a great story. Can you also have your own stories ready, so when I ask you about your boats you have all the answers off pat!(I don't want to have to work too hard on the day..... I'll leave that to those trying to master their Magnum 7s)

By all accounts we're going for a Guinness World Record; Miles is going to show learning to sail the Magnum whilst keeping his cigarette dry!

hoho

D
David H
bornagainmothie

Post by bornagainmothie »

[quotesnip off all of those tatty raggly bits of your wet suits ][/quote]
Dougal,
Have you seen the average Moth sailor's wetsuit? There wouldn't be a lot left. What sort of publication are you taking the photos for???

Miles, we have booked camping at Hardwickparks. Ian included the link in earlier post. Do you know something we don't or is it really a professional mission?
milesj

Post by milesj »

Really is professional mission,. similar site to ours. Meeting to discuss mutual recommendation. Cannot recommend if I've not tried it!

Plus it'll then be a business expense :D
Miles

Harrier no 5
Ancient Mirror Dinghy
Merlin Rocket 3542
Merlin Rocket 3646
alan watson

Post by alan watson »

Hi All,

Looking forward to coming with trusty Magnum 8. The 9.9 has been sold but at the moment will not be able to come to Oxford.

I will press the matter. Given up the mothman label due to too much swimming.

Cheers

ALAN W