Bosham

Chat about CVRDA events
roger

Bosham

Post by roger »

Is anyone doing Bosham?

I am hoping to take one of my new old Hornets and maybe Shoestring if I can find the right people to sail/crew them.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Michael4

Re: Bosham

Post by Michael4 »

Hoping to take Merlin Desperation and like you, if I can find a crew, the Firefly.

Will be sailing or towing the boats round from Chichester, maybe with trollies in the towing boat. Has anyone got experience of towing an old Merlin? Will it just fall over?
Tideway 206
11+
Sold the 'Something bigger and plastic', it never got used.
roger

Post by roger »

I would have thought you would want someone in her but if you took the mast down you would be ok.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Pat

Post by Pat »

Not this year - too much on at work migrating everything to the new owner's systems, though I'm probably working myself out of a job.
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

Michael4 wrote:Hoping to take Merlin Desperation and like you, if I can find a crew, the Firefly.

Will be sailing or towing the boats round from Chichester, maybe with trollies in the towing boat. Has anyone got experience of towing an old Merlin? Will it just fall over?
If you are towing the boat "un-manned" you may find it tows better if pulled backwards!

This certainly works well on a firefly as they have a relatively deep rocker on the keel, a vertical stem and and a generous curve to the bilge. The stern naturally floats clear of the water and this gives a stable water flow that prevents it from yawing to and fro.

The stem on a Merling is vertical so it may behave similarly.

In the Itchenor fairway, coming home from West Wittering regatta at the end of one of those endless summer days back in the 70's! 8)
Michael Brigg
Michael4

Post by Michael4 »

Now that is an emotive pic indeed...particularly with the MKI

I may try the towing astern approach once I have tightened up the elastic on the transom doors, though they should stay out of the water one cannot be too sure about passing plastic barges driven by *******s (insert as appropriate).
Tideway 206
11+
JimC

Post by JimC »

Think I'd probably try with rudders lashed centrally first, maybe even half up pivoting rudders.
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

I can't go - we have to go to a wedding :twisted: I did offer Aggie to Chris Somner to sail, not sure if he will have remembered.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

Tow with the board right up and someone in the boat to steer after the tow boat. Attach the line to the strongest part of the boat - usually the mast. If you have to go a long way and it's the only boat do a well sprung and well fendered alongside tow.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Same weekend as the Lightnings, sadly.
Rupert
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

It has been my target to do Bosham in Torment (IC K102) although it is increasingly likely the boat won't quite be ready. Teething problems with finishing include discovery of worm holes in the Cowhorn tiller extentions, and lining the plate case with Tufnol in the hope that this might avoid gouges in the plate (which some of you may have spotted getting fattened up in my garden.)

I have a solution for the hull flanges to reduce turbulence around the plate case, cut from rubber fendering from a RIB, and I have an offer of 2nd hand "proper" sails that are less likely to fall apart in a race.

I fear that before taking Torment out in an event as big as this I should learn to sail her, so it looks like it will be a Firefly event for me. Failing that I shall offer my services to anyone coming who has need of a crew.

There are however 3 weeks to go so the situation is hopefull! :lol:
Michael Brigg
roger

Post by roger »

I may have a crew position for you if you fancy being a planker Michael. I am hoping to get two boats there if I can find the staff and it all comes together.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

I would really like to go, I say that every year and then that first weekend in September seems to be too busy and surrounded by other things I want to do, so, not sure if I'll make it but I'd like to.
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
Michael4

Post by Michael4 »

FYI, update over the weekend from Andrew at Bosham

"Time marches on and the Revival, is now just 7 days away.....!

Entries:
A reminder for those of you who have not yet entered, the entry fee increases from midnight Monday 31st August from £ 30 to £ 40, so please enter now via:

Our online entry form here.

As long as we get your entry in by midnight, you can still pay the lower amount over the following days...

The entry rate is picking up now, with 30+ across 14 classes:
Aldeburgh Lapwing, Brightlingsea One Design, Chichester Harbour 18,Chichester Scow, Emsworth 1 Design, Enterprise, Fireball, Firefly, Kittiwake 14, Merlin Rocket, National 18, Sharpie, & Tideway.

The oldest boat so far, is Tinkerbelle a National 18 built in 1936 & a fast fleet winner back in 2012....so come on you Nat 12, GP 14, Int 14's, Devon Yawls, Moths & others.... get your act together and enter now...!

Commemorative shirts:
You can now view and order this years t-shirt with the latest variation of our poster which has proved so popular. You can also enlarge your collection of Henbury polos, with our embroidered logo and your boat name included.

To have them ready for the event, we need your shirt orders by Tuesday 10 a.m., so please see options etc HERE

Socials etc
The social program can be found here and we will publish the various menus etc in the next day or so, it all kicks off with some live music (and if you want supper or BBQ) on Friday evening.....

We look forward to your joining us for the event.

--
Cheers
Andrew Young
Mob: 07785-234436
Tideway 206
11+
roger

Post by roger »

I have entered but will probably only be there for Saturday.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353