Avon River Rally - Long Distance 'Picnic' Race

Chat about CVRDA events
realnutter

Re: Avon River Rally - Long Distance 'Picnic' Race

Post by realnutter »

I put the welder away less than an hour ago, and have just loaded the Scow onto my newly built (but unfinished) double stacker!

Just a few minor jobs to do like make the lighting board fit the pintles... talk about last minute!
Matt

Int Moth K2992
azimuth

Post by azimuth »

Hi All,

Thanks to everyone who made the trip to Severn for today's event, hope you all had easy trips home. Full results here:

http://www.severnsailing.org.uk/results ... 202016.pdf

Cheers
Keith
Keith.

Finn K60 'Sfinnx' Fairey
Zenith 74 'Azimuth' (rescued from the undergrowth 20yrs ago)
Zenith 61 'Bali Hai'... A family heirloom...
realnutter

Post by realnutter »

It was a splendid day out... thanks to all the organisers...

The tack back up wind was hard work, especially towards the end when the wind picked up a bit and I was overpowered without a crew.

I now ache in places I didn’t know I had places!
Matt

Int Moth K2992
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi Keith
Thanks for organising this event. A good day on the narrow water. We finally arrived home at 23.45. Please thank everyone involved in the organisation of the event. See you at Roadford.
chris

Post by chris »

Many thanks Keith and all at SSC. Made a nice change to do a different type of race. We had a great time and thought the camping field and the whole atmosphere was excellent.
Chris and Lois
giles

Post by giles »

I agree with all that Chris says. Excellent weekend, thank you Keith and all at your club.
Giles
roger

Post by roger »

Thank you it was a great day out. Thoroughly enjoyed myself.

For future reference, you now know a 25ft deck stepped mast wont fit under the bridge.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Chrisrjwood

Post by Chrisrjwood »

Hi Keith,

A fine day out :D

Many thanks to you for organising it and all the people at SSC for their hospitality.

Thanks also to Jenny for putting up with my helming (Ian did warn you :roll: )

Anyway, Lois (Barlow) and I have already arranged your next years CVRDA picnic race 8)

Best Regards, Chris
Chrisrjwood
Jollyboat J325 Serendipity
Rouse I14 'Brown Trousers' K1094
Kirby 7 I14 Last Chance K1120
Penultimate I14 K1337
Int 14 K391 Velocity
Uffa Fox I14 Nymph K524 (under restoration)
Spiderman

Post by Spiderman »

A big thank you from Wendy and I to all those at Severn Sailing club who made us so welcome and kindly let us sail with them on Sunday to get used to "River" conditions. I found that Sunday's lessons proved extremely valuable when it came to yesterday's picnic race which was certainly a novel experience in many ways, not least of which was sailing under the M5 motorway! Well done Keith for inviting the CVRDA to join in such a great event and also for winning the first leg down to Tewkesbury! Even though the wind gods let us down a little on the way back making the beat even longer I think that we were fortunate to have such pleasantly warm weather, particularly when you compare it with today's deluge. It was great to see everyone again and also to welcome some new faces who I hope will be encouraged to come to other events in future. It's always a treat to see Chris Barlow's beautiful vintage Merlin and Int 14 and he will no doubt have been pleased with Roger and Ken's performance coming second on the first leg in spite of dinking the mast on the bridge! They were obviously too light a crew as I reckon two Finn sailors in the boat would have made it comfortably?
Anyway, I'm really glad that I didn't bring the Magnum 6 as that might have been a bit more of a challenge in the confines of the river.
Hope to see you all at Hunts if not before.

Best Regards

Ian