Mike Brigg at the IC worlds

Chat about CVRDA events
Obscured by clouds

Mike Brigg at the IC worlds

Post by Obscured by clouds »

Mike Brigg sailing his venerable IC to a well deserved mid fleet position in today's light airs race at Pwllheli

https://www.facebook.com/groups/cvrda/
Tony

MR 2404 Julia Dream
N18 276 Sibrwd [ongoing project]
Hirondelle catamaran Kalipse
[down to 3!]
JimC

Re: Mike Brigg at the IC worlds

Post by JimC »

Loads of Kudos to Mike for not only achieving a respectable placing, but also being one of the minority to score a finish in every race. It was by no means a light airs series either. Its speaks volumes not only about him personally, but perhaps even more about the quality of the work he put in on Torment.
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

A very kind and flattering comment om my sailing and stewardship of Torment. Thank you very much.

When it comes to making an impressive effort I would draw your attention to Ed's "Slurp" design IC, also at Clwedag at this moment.

Ed has lavished far more attention on this boat than I have on mine, and while I managed a 32nd place mainly by filling dead men's shoes and soldiering on until I was finished on the course and sent home, ("Shown the W whisky flag") Ed had a coupleof RTD's in hid results and beat me by 2 places getting 30th overall.

The Slurp (Silver Surfer has considerable understated 'Style' and deserves more than Torment for which all I had to do was strip and revarnish. Ed's hard work on this matter is, as ever, "unseen," as this illustration shows!

http://greensea.zenfolio.com/p837360728 ... #h94315e39

As for finishing all the races, this is more of a tribute to the very sensible building skills and atitudes of the day, when boats really were built to last. (At the cost of 100lbs or so of extra weight!) I have not at any time had to hold back with Torment for fer of a breakage. which as been a real joy. (I have my aching limbs to prove it!)

Enjoy the tranquility and social of Clwydag, I hope the winds are firm and regular, and I hope some of you can make it over to Bosham.

http://greensea.zenfolio.com/p990847419
Michael Brigg
Obscured by clouds

Post by Obscured by clouds »

I did'nt know Ed was at Pwllheli, otherwise I would have tried to get some photos. :|
Tony

MR 2404 Julia Dream
N18 276 Sibrwd [ongoing project]
Hirondelle catamaran Kalipse
[down to 3!]
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Yup.....I was there..... Just doing my best to keep in front of Michael.

Sorry Tony, that you didn't realise I was there also.... plenty of talk on the forum though...

As others have mentioned, Michael's performance was much more impressive than mine! I simply could not of sailed Torment in those conditions. I think he would be surprised how much easier a more modern boat would of been for him.

My boat was oldish, but I had a modernised rig, even if it had a 'stick-of-liquorice' carbon mast. I only lavished more attention on the boat as when I got it, the mast step fell out in my hand revealing tons of rot, all of which needed to be replaced before I could get any practice in on it.

But both of us go through the event with a full set of results, with finishes in all races, I didn't have any retirements, despite sailing one race with no kicker, which was a little interesting in those waves.

That was really my only goal for the event and to try and finish the full course as many times as possible, rather than be 'finished on the course'. I managed it in about half the races. It was quite an experience!

No, the full cudos should go to Mike.

Best wishes

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Rupert