Bosham Proctor event.

Chat about CVRDA events
trebor

Bosham Proctor event.

Post by trebor »

Apologies for starting this Topic if I am treading on anyones toes.
David,
I have one photo at the moment of the 'Firebird' at my club, if you want more detailed photo's could you let me know ?
http://s1149.photobucket.com/user/aquab ... o.jpg.html
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia
http://www.aquabatdinghy.co.uk
davidh

Re: Bosham Proctor event.

Post by davidh »

Robert,

if at some point you can get a close up that would be brilliant - thank you

As things stand there is a 'hold' on the Bosham side of things - Dinghy Show is going ahead, the rest is under discussion

D
David H
trebor

Post by trebor »

Sorry to hear Bosham event may not be going ahead, you were quite enthusiastic about it.
I will take a set of close ups for you, publish them in my public folder on Photobucket, you can retrieve when required.
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia
suffolkmerlin

Post by suffolkmerlin »

David
Would you like to incorporate the Proctor event within the Aldeburgh Classics weekend 16/17th June? Plenty of room on the river and no need to sail any distance to the start line
davidh

Post by davidh »

Suffolk Merlin; The big meeting on the event is tomorrow night - I'll know more after that. Given that Proctor started his sailing up towards the east coast, nothing stopping any club adding a bit f a proctor flavour to their event

D
David H
suffolkmerlin

Post by suffolkmerlin »

David
I know that AYC would be happy to step into the breech and add an extra start (if needed) and/or add a sail past on the Saturday evening for the Proctor designs
davidh

Post by davidh »

Okay all,

a quick update. Proctor 2018 is a GO at Bosham, details will be announced shortly.

If AYC or any other club are keen to add a touch of Proctor to their event next year. that sounds great - email me if you wish for any assistance

D
David H
suffolkmerlin

Post by suffolkmerlin »

David
Will e-mail you when I have had a chance to discuss format with my committee, thanks for the offer of help
davidh

Post by davidh »

2018 Greetings - we're now into the 'Year of Proctor'....... and the great news is that both events, the Dinghy Show and Bosham, are now well advanced.

At the show there will be a small but select exhibition showing examples of his designs, along with some very informative display boards. These will, I hope, compliment the talk that will be taking place up on the main stage - that will be at lunchtime so the plan is that this should be a good opportunity for you to sit down, rest tired feet and learn more than a few surprising things about the amazing life of IP. And what a life it was.....

Bosham - 2nd and 3rd June. Arrive on the Saturday, boats will be on display ashore on the Green. Gala dinner that evening in the club. then some gentle sailing on the Sunday, culminating in the last leg being up past the club to a finish by the Green.

Those of you on here with longer memories will recall that there was an attempt to do something like this way back when, down at the NMM at Falmouth. The wheels came off that idea when the entry list filled up with a lot of boats from one class, leaving no room for anyone else. Bosham are trying to be as fair as possible, whilst aiming for the greatest representative spread of Ian's work. Much - though not all - of the limited places will be offered to the current classes, but at the same time, great examples that we know about already - a superbly restored 14 being just one at the top of the list - hopefully a spread of the various Minisails, Paul's Wayfarer 3 and a few other notables will be considered as pre-selected.

Bosham will have a stand at the Dinghy Show and we'll be running a twice daily 'proctor clinic' so if you have an example of the great man's work, come along and talk to the Team from the club. I'd really love to see some of the really rare beasts there - from the Adventurer to the Zenith and if someone had one of these, we'd move mountains to make a space for them!

The topic will be going live in the media over the next few days but in the meantime, you're getting advance notice as befits being 'the' place for classic dinghy info!

Cheers all - see you either at the Show or hopefully - at Bosham (in some capacity).

Dougal
David H
davidh

Post by davidh »

more details on the events planned

http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/news/2 ... -of-Design

D
David H
Andrew Young

Post by Andrew Young »

Hi All,

As David H says we are progressing the Ian Proctor Centenary Rally at Bosham 2nd & 3rd June. You can see more details on the Bosham SC website https://www.boshamsailingclub.com/dingh ... centenary/

More details will be added as we progress, but I'm hoping the CVRDA members will be rich source of Ian Proctor's finest....!

You can contact the organizing team via : proctor100@boshamsailingclub.co.uk or me via phone 07785-234436

For those that haven't clocked it yet, the Classic Boat Revival will be on 1st and 2nd Sept so get that in your diary....!
Cheers
Andrew Young
Bosham SC,
Owns Chichester Harbour 18, CH7 Seafire
Also race classic National 18's
Organizing team for the Bosham www.classicboatrevival.co.uk
RichC69

Post by RichC69 »

My son and I have just been given the Firebird that Trebor is referring to. We sailed her last Saturday after a long lay up albeit there was hardly any wind! The phone battery died so I couldn't take any pictures of her on the day, but can take some next time we are at the sailing club. There is life left in the old girl and we will be doing some sympathetic renovations to her paint work.

I would like to find out more information about the Firebird if possible as there doesn't seem to be much information on the net about it. I guess it wasn't one of Ian Proctors more prolific / successful dinghy designs, but she will do for teaching my son to sail and for me to get back in to sailing.
trebor

Post by trebor »

Welcome to CVRDA Richard, glad you have found a boat, (you may get more response if you start your quest on dinghy history).
Looking forward to seeing boat on the water saturday, wonder if their is a PY ?
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia
RichC69

Post by RichC69 »

Thanks Robert, We're away with Scouts for the next couple of weekends, so my son is gutted that we can't be there cleaning her and getting her on the water again. Hope to see you at the valley soon.

I have just looked on the RYA historic PY table, and the last published PY for a Firebird was from 1987 when it was 1201 when it had been published for 7 years at that time. There doesn't seem to be much info out there about Firebirds at all. I am struggling to get an insurance quote as not listed on the insurance databases. One company has been on the CVRDA database and have agreed to get it added to their online quote system, another company that will quote on a generic dinghy excludes racing, so just waiting for it to appear now...
trebor

Post by trebor »

Richard,
Most of the info I have found appears to be on here, type Firebird into 'search' you will pick up info has you go along, you can gather it all into one spot.
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia