AGM

and what is happening with the CVRDA today?
roger

AGM

Post by roger »

The AGM will be held at the Nationals at Netley. If you have anything you want to raise or to be raised in your absence. Please can I have it for the agenda. SOON.

Please bear in mind that the AGM is very short only 30mins or so. Can any discussion take place on the forum beforehand so we can vote if need be at the AGM without to much ado.

Thanks in advance

Rog
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
pegasus

Re: AGM

Post by pegasus »

I wish to step down from Fixtures sec

What with uni i feel i wont be able to forefill the role as it should be
Pegasus 166(The Darkside) SOLD
Cherub 2646 Madge
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

Hope you will spread the word about CVRDA among your drinking buddies!!! I do think that the CVRDA Fixture Secretary's position mentioned on your CV will be the most impressive addition compared to all the other stuff that is generally on there. I would recognise any job applicant with those credentials as having sublime organisational skills.
pegasus

Post by pegasus »

Thanks Garry i never thought of that :wink:

ive had a lot of good times alough not if you measure that in results! :oops:

i will definatly spread teh word and i hope to still get to many events.
Cherub 2646 Madge
roger

Post by roger »

Greg,

Thank you on behalf of the members for doing a sterling job. Hopefully we will see you back in the fold once you have qualified.

Rog
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
roger

Post by roger »

ps looks like it might be a very short AGM
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

A while ago there was debate about whether the "wing" set up we have is working at opens/Nationals. If anyone has a good idea as to how to set things up so that they better reflect the way we all want to sail (eg combine classic and old, using yardstick to help the older boats, and keep vintage separate for the "proper" ancient boats) I presume we would need a change to the constitution at the AGM. I'm not putting the suggestion in brackets forward, by the way, it was just an example of how things might be changed.
Rupert
pegasus

Post by pegasus »

That sounds like a good idea rupert and maybe dicuss what we want to do with the tuned to modern spec boats if we welcome/encourage them and create a wing for them, or to keep things as they are, also where do you draw the line?
Cherub 2646 Madge
roger

Post by roger »

AGM....

Neil has come forward to stand as fixtures secretary does anyone else wish to stand for this prestigious post??

As far a I can tell the rest of the committee are willing to stand again. Any objections.

So far the only things that need discussion are:

1 The very crowded fixture list. I feel that with the current climate we may be spreading ourselves a bit to thinly.

I would like to propose the instead of the current 12 events we reduce it to 8 and clubs that wish to hold a cvrda event alternate years.

For example similar waters like Shearwater and Frencham or Baltic wharf do alternate years.
May be Corus hold one this year and Bough Beech next year. Hopefully this will allow clubs keen to hold events under our name the chance to have as many visitors as possible.

Alternatives are of course to hold one day events or just open the programme and let things ride.

Are we big enough to hold regional areas and come together for the nationals? Personally I think it will not work just yet.

Your comments on the forum please before the AGM as the Barbie will be cooking and I will want my supper :D

The other thing that has come up is the structure of our wings. Vintage, Classic and Old plus cats and lost classes.
Oppinions please. Do we need to change or do we carry on as we are??

It is your association please let me know your oppinions.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

Opinion:
The cvrda works very well as it is.
Vintage, Old and Classic wings work, cats and lost classes?, I've never seen any at the events.
Handicaps, don't try too hard to get them right, they never will be!
Areas, not enough people entering to warrant it.
Sharing events between clubs (Baltic Wharf and Shearwater ) no problem, just let the clubs know early enough to complete their fixture lists.
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
pegasus

Post by pegasus »

i feel that events like corus netly thames and brightlingsea need to be discussed as to wheather they should be rotated per year or wether we lose some of the more local events and rotate them such as shearwater BW starcross roadford, personaly i feel that we should keep the events that are away from our hub (southwest) open as yearly events to help encourage people to come back again i feel this will help to increase atendance this was how i heard of the CVRDA

Im interested to here how the Thames event goes number wise as the commador is very keen to support us as a club and its well within the merlin clubs so there should be loads of active boats but im sure Pat and Sandy can update us with that.
Cherub 2646 Madge
Pat

Post by Pat »

Thames are a keen bunch and we've sailed Merlin vintage there before. Garry and Chris will be our main standard bearers for the event - we can't go as we've already arranged to be in Cornwall!

I agree that the newer and further out events should not be rotated out as they bring in newcomers. Shearwater and Baltic Wharf could rotate and/or be winter events and maybe Frensham could be persuaded to hold an event in the early or late season instead of July - these three being most suitable venues for "winter" sailing. Frensham's actually best in a winter north easterly beause of the trees.

I'd like to get an event further north - between Birmingham and Manchester would be ideal. Budworth? Shustoke? Lets keep working on expanding into new areas.
clibb

Post by clibb »

Pat

Frensham's date is not written in blood. The reason for that date is because when we first held the event it fitted in with the Club's 50th anniversary celebrations, which had a "50's" theme. It has just been convenient to the programme planners to have it remain then.

I suggest you speak to Charles about it when you are here in a week or two.

Regards

Nick c
Intl.14 839
davidh

Post by davidh »

Maybe one of the things we could do differently for the coming year is to have a concerted 'drive' on the 'lost' classes.

No one doubts just how well the CVRDA has developed in the past 10 years. Talking to friends abroad, they are all very impressed with what they see happening.

But..... could we be in danger of missing out on the ever growing number of lost classes (an inverse law here - more classes but fewer examples).

We'll have a Mercury at Netley - which is just the sort of boat I had in mind. IN years gone by we could have had Mirror 14s too (but they've all gone to the great boatyard in the sky).... and the owner of the one remaining Ghost is not returning calls.........Dave C - who has a couple of 'lost' classes in his garage cannot make the event - so the 'genre' (for want of a better word) is at risk.

Thoughts along those lines!

D
David H
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi Dave
The lost classes are just like that. We have a nice Tempo scow at Roadford who was invited to the CVRDA meeting and just did not turn up dispite reminding and promising to do so. The majority of people owning a lost class boat will be quite happy to just sail it and these boats are like the cats few and very far between. I have at least a dozen very old cats on my books from Shearwaters 41 & 43 to C Class Hellcats etc and the last remaining Flying Cat and my Shark. It is very difficult to get these boats together as they are spread through out England Scotland Wales and Ireland, all these boats if they have one have original road trailers only capable of speeds of 40mph. What we do do is provide as a group is advice produce a news letter on avery irregular basis and have a stock of spares which are exchanged. The highest number of cats to have raced together is 4 my Shark a Thai MKIV, Shearwater and a Reg White 14 ft 1970,s Hellcat (not the C class Hellcat) and this was at Roadford. Is Steve sailing Emma or Ocelot at the weekend if so could you book me a ride after racing with him.
Cheers Al of Piece of Cake Fame