AGM Proposal

and what is happening with the CVRDA today?
alan williams

Re: AGM Proposal

Post by alan williams »

Hi Dave
Dave I think that Revo is what CVRDA is all about showing that Old is not necessary slow and that these Classic designs are more than a match for the wipper snapper in the latest SMOD dog Mango etc. Also manufactures of Smods will sell boats to people regardless of experience. I had an incident with a nonracing RS800 on our race course who had been towed in three times that afternoon and warned not to sail by the sailing center staff. He was not compitant to handle his craft. He assured me afterwards ( I had told him in no uncertain terms to clear off) ,when he spoke to me that he did have RYA level 2.
When I brought the Shark to Roadford several Dart 18 sailors laught at it and said that it was not a proper cat and that it would be so slow. Well we challenged them to a race up wind and down wind. How we laughted no chance of catching Shark up wind. proper centerboards and down wind 300 sqfeet (c class rig in use bigger jib), plus twenty footllengh and ten feet of beam was enough to blow them away.
Remember that I put up the Super dog,(see Cruffs for that story), sorry Stormbringer Slate for the first boat which wasn't a Revo or Coombes at the Nats. The last I heard of it the Assoc. are now presenting it to the first boat over ten years old.
I agree that we both speak our minds and do n't fall out about it. I have been trying to locate Piece of Cake Hornet 2063 (first Revo kit built Hornet), my old boat for years to sail in CVRDA but she along with my Int 14 Audacity 732 seem to have disappeared off the face of the earth. POC to the darkest wilds of the Western Isles and Audacity to S. Wales. If anyone knows the where abouts of these boats please let me know as I would like to get them back into the Williams fleet.
Cheers Al
Ps Do you know that Revo is asymetrical? Easily checked by measuring a Glass revo Baker. Tims mould came straight off Revo unlike the Sailcraft mould which was taken off another revolution hull.
Last edited by alan williams on Tue May 11, 2010 5:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

A Hornet is one of the Top Ten boats I would like to have sailied. The list also includes IC, Fireball, i14, Contender, 505, Norfolk Punt, Jolly boat, National 18ft OD, and Osprey. Possibly not inclusive, as things like North American Scows and 18ft Skiffs look to be a laugh, as do some of those Carribean (Martinique) Yoles as well as Bermudan fitted dinghies.

All would be terrific fun to see in the CVRDA, and all the better for the fact that in the spirit of CVRDA racing there's a good chance I might get to have a go in all of these boats before I die. This amongst other things is what make a CVRDA event what it is.

As I understand it, the true spirit of CVRDA racing is to give these boats their full reign and racethem, as hard as they should be raced, to experience what it is (or for some, was, like to race them, and enjoy the spectacle as well as filling our own personal unforgiving minute with 60 seconds worth of distance run. Never mind that the boat is a handicap bandit or a total dog.

So as Chris says, the racing is as keen and competitive as each of us wish to be, just like in any other sailing racing. The difference is that the boats that race also seek to relive a part of our racing life that retains some sense of thrill to us.

It would be irresponsible of the CVRDA to promote sailing Sheds that fall apart on the water, and while equipment failure can happen this is no different to any other event, and race organisers at any event have a right not to allow boats on the water that are considered to be unseaworthy.

The CVRDA is not about putting rotting hulls back on the water for a demolition derby, but about encouraging owners not to allow these Classic boats to fall into that state, and to value them and look after them in the same way as the newer models that are out there.

In the Rowing fraternity there is a growing desire to develop a Veteran circuit for those of us who have become less "turbo charged." A question raised on one forum asks what is to stop a fully fit, older "elite squad" competitor from cleaning up on this circuit and a member replied with the simple 1-word answer.

"Ego."

We may on this circuit be vulnerable to similar "attack" (as Davidh pointed out) for example there is really nothing to stop a member coming with a Merlin carrying all the modern kit. But what would be the point? Such a competitor would gather plenty of prizes but little in the way of plaudits, and without the oxygen that this kind of competitor needs they simply would not survive on the CVRDA circuit. The racing on this circuit like all the best circuits is intolerant of bullying, and respectful of talent and style.

"In the Kingdom of the Blind the one eyed man is king," once again is shown to be an incorrect assumption.
Michael Brigg
JimC

Post by JimC »

alan williams wrote:Do you know that Revo is asymetrical?
Most boats are!
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

We had our Open Day at Forfar last Sunday and had 40 folk turn up for a sail round the loch as a taster - I don't think there was anybody who went away disappointed. However I was very happy to have supplied three boats as shown (the Firefly now belongs to another member) and the Merlins were in constant demand for a sail (mostly by those who sail Lasers I have to say - even more pleasure). All that was missing were the Enterprises I did up last winter one of which was on the water but not in shot and the wooden masted one at home awaiting a viewing by a prospective club member this weekend. Now to have had 5 boats sailing in formation all of which I had restored would have been something.

Back to encouraging old boats to be sailed. We had a couple of kids - never sailed before - who from 11am - 4pm were on the water for all but 30mins. They were in various boats and allowed to take the helm under supervision in Wayfarer, Merlins (both) and Enterprise. Both kids knackered, both parents delighted and they had a sail too. That was the story of the day. Will be interesting to see how many turn up for our training days which now follow the Open Day. We also had a draw for a year's membership open to all who turned out. Very popular idea.

http://forfarsailingclub.org.uk/portal/ ... &Itemid=50
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Sounds like a good day for classic boats. Is it just me, or are your Merlin and Rocket sailing by themselves?
Rupert
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

Trick of the lens!!
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

Forfar sounds like an ideal Sailing Club just like they used to be and many still are.
In Denmark the DIY principle even extends to the Royal Danish Patron H M Queen Margarite who on the days it's her rurn can be seen sweeping the pontoon clear of guano cigarette hanging out of her mouth!
Not sure I can accept Michaels sports psychology, Footballers and exhibitionists apart most winners prefer to go away and enjoy the moment for ones-self. Sadly Television instant interviews mean that gets harder in those sports, that are media friendly. At least in sailing we get the sail home before having to tell how one did it! Let's hope it stays that way.
Simples.
roger

Post by roger »

[quote="Michael Brigg"]A Hornet is one of the Top Ten boats I would like to have sailied. /quote]

Micheal,

Shoestring will be available for any would be plankers to have a go. Or helm if you like but I prefer the plank myself. (I even got Strangler on the plank at Netley which he claimed ne had never done before).

Will you be at Hunts?

Roger
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

Not that I am proposing anything but is it possible to clarify the date by which proposed and seconded items for inclusion and members of the commitee officers etc need to be delivered to the secretary for this years AGM also I know when and where it is but is there a formal notice?
Simples.
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Off top of head....

it is 28 days before the event.

Not delivered to the sec, but posted here on the forum.

As we have said, if it is to be put before the AGM, it should already of been proposed and discussed here first.

I know this isn't the 'normal' and 'traditional' way of doing it, but it is how we agreed 11 years ago to do it.

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

I quite like the 'not normal' way of doing things as it means those of us who can't get there can still voice an opinion. Common sense.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

By my reckoning, proposals and committee nominations would need to be in by 30th July for am AGM at Clywedog on 28th August.
Rupert
davidh

Post by davidh »

Michael,

I had forgotten just how good your last comment was....

So, if you can play hookey from the limp and lame of Gosport one day, then pop along to netley, we'll kit you out in a harness and you can have a sail in a Contender. It's not a classic but the next best thing - a 'real' woodie - strip planked red western cedar no less.

But back to your thread and the point you made about demo derbys! I do know that feeling oh so well right now, I must be out of sight on the "it came off in me hand Mum" listings (I think I'm even ahead of supercrew jon).

But therein lies one of the big problems! Old boats, like women of a certain age, need gentle handling, go at them like they are a young filly and you will soon be back on shore fixing things rather than sailing. Patching up is not the answer if you want to race these old boats in the manner to which they were designed for - but 30+years past. It really is a worry.... If I found the last Outrage, or the last Ghost....would I worry that if I broke it badly that I've not only broken the boat, but have lost that little bit of history!!

Let's face it - you'd not want me sailing 'Blue Moon' in a breeze!!

But do come and try the Contender - Nessa will back me up on this - it will spoil you for going to windward in anything else!!

D
David H
jon711

Post by jon711 »

David, I actually make us equal!!! Let's start keeping the score at the next event!! (What will we pull off next?,could even start a sweepstake for charity!!! (RYA Sailability??))

Jon

And Michael Briggs, does indeed make some good points... Although I may not be allowed to comment!!!