Joining CVRDA

and what is happening with the CVRDA today?
mikehanson

Post by mikehanson »

Hi folks

I've recently come to this site for the first time. Please could someone tell me how to join CVRDA and what membership offers?
I can't find a great deal on how to join on the site, and have sent an e-mail through the contact section but to no avail.
For your info I've acquired a Twinkle Twelve (12 foot clinker dinghy built in the 60's)this summer which is ready for the water, and have a wooden Albacore which isn't!

Best wishes
Mike Hanson
Twinkle 12 (66) - afloat
Albacore (1188) - awaiting restoration & tlc
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

Hi Mike,

welcome to the CVRDA. The way of joining the CVRDA is to turn up to an event (or 2, or 3.......). There is a membership fee that is collected at some events (sorry to be vague about this but I'm sure someone who knows will post the details but it's not much money!)

As far as what is offered:
- no paperwork;
- no newsletters;
- no politics;
- no hassle.

But you do get:
- the racing;
- the people;
- the events in different locations;
- the warm feeling of owning slighly musty smelling boats;
- finding out about obscure boats built in the 1960s (or earlier, or later);
- the advice from the CVRDA members experience of what works and what doesn't;
- this forum and website (though it is free for anyone to enjoy);
- being able to sail old boats against other old boats;

hope this helps and hope to see you at an event

regards

Neil
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
mikehanson

Post by mikehanson »

Hi Neil, many thanks for that. I like the informal emphasis on the boats and the people - assuming that they're not obscure and musty smelling too :-)

As you say I'll look forward to trying to get to an event.

Do you know how many Twinkle Twelves and Family Fourteens are associated with the group?

Best wishes

Mike
Twinkle 12 (66) - afloat
chris

Post by chris »

yes, just join in and you'll be a member. CVRDA is 'open' to all with an eligable boat and even if you don't have a boat but are just interested, that's fine too. We ask a voluntry fiver at roadford, but half the point is that we keep our costs to a minimum by using the web rather than the GPO. So just turn up to any event and you'll be welcome. There's usually quite a range of boats from the pretty fast sort to the pretty slow sort to the pretty knackered sort to just pretty ones. The whole point is to keep some elderly and interesting boats sailing and to have some fun with them. If you have questions just ask.
ian

Post by ian »

Hi Mike, I know of a Twinkle 10 at Lympstone (on the Exe). I keep trying to get the owner to come along to Roadford but no luck so far and I think he is actually trying to sell the boat. Don't know of any others around but the 10 is very pretty so it would be nice to see your 12 at Roadford (hint!). Ian
mikehanson

Post by mikehanson »

Hi Ian, thanks for that.

I'm in the North West so Roadford would be bit of a trek! If I can I will try to get to a more northerly meeting next year. In the meantime I'd better learn something about racing!

best wishes

Mike
Twinkle 12 (66) - afloat
stu
Site Admin

Post by stu »

Hi Mike,

When you've learned about racing, can you tell us........

Stu (realising sailing a canoe is bl**dy hard work when winds are shiftr and gusty!)
The only canoe sailor in MY village too !

8) OK K1958
8) Mirror 34459

http://www.stuandliz.co.uk

make bow waves not chat