Jolly Boat J17 available in Essex

Post your items here & they may be copied over to the for sale section of the CVRDA site
David HL

Jolly Boat J17 available in Essex

Post by David HL »

J17 is in Essex waiting for a new owner. I went and saw her a few weeks ago and decided there was too much work for ME to do.(However MY skills are limited. Restoring this boat may be meat and drink to many of you out there.) Yesterday I spoke to the owner and the boat is still available. Fairey Marine. Was used in an ad for the Jolly Boat by O'Day in the 60's. http://websailor.home.att.net/odayads/o ... lyboat.jpg Has everything including, main and genny, (can't remember a spinnaker) wooden and steel centreplate, mast, boom, fittings etc. Cover poor. trailer has good frame but rotted tyres Hull has holes where there shouldn't be any in: foredeck, hull (under crew's right foot on starboard side), and under transom. Boat has been outside a long time. Contact me and I'll send you owners details and photos. location near Saffron Walden. Believe at least one Cvrda member has already spoken to owner by phone. j17@missnoma.com
Last edited by David HL on Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

If you look on page 73 of John Fisher's 1954 edition of Sailing Boats, you will see a picture of her in her pomp! You do all have a copy, don't you?! Must buy a scanner...
Rupert
David HL

Photos on Photobucket

Post by David HL »

I've put some photos on photobucket. http://s236.photobucket.com/albums/ff16/davidhl/
Trevor C

Oh Dear

Post by Trevor C »

What does the small winch type thing do, just foward of the C/b case?
Uffa Fox Jolly Boat - J9
Mirror - 34359
Hornet - K140

Please see http://www.justgiving.com/160miles for my charity ride to Paris in May
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Looking at the photos, I presume you mean the centre-boat hoist.

You wouldn't think it was little if you tried to pick one up!!!!

It is a bloody big thing made out of galvanised steel and used to pull up the 65lb steel plate.

Most people pulled these out when/if they converted to a wooden centre-board.

Surprised though that J9 has had hers taken out.

There are other winches you get in front of a Jolly around mast step......some are easy to explain.....such as a drum kicker.

But there is a confusing one though......some boats had automatic roller-reefing and there can be a winch to run that, although it was normally kept below the thwart with handle running through the thwart. this ran a wire down to hog, along through block at bottom of mast and up to boom. I have seen a boat with the winch moved to bottom of mast.

hope that helps

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Steve M

Jollyboat J17

Post by Steve M »

Jollyboats seem to be like buses.
You read about them look at the restoration photo's on the bluedome
link on the Uffa Fox site and think I'd like to do that but can you find
one not a chance.

So you think I'll build me own and you get almost half way there and then two turn up for sale for less than you're spent already on materials.

Still the photo's were helpful and J17 still looks good despite the work she needs.

Ah well back to pulling staples.

Steve Moore
1/2 a Jollyboat.