Hornet restoration/spares etc.

Post your items here & they may be copied over to the for sale section of the CVRDA site
roger

Hornet restoration/spares etc.

Post by roger »

This has just been posted on the Hornet website. Garry its in your neck of the woods. Another class to add to the fleet :shock:

If anyone is after a serious restoration project or some bits for old boats, I've been sent the following message:

In my younger days I was an active sailor racing several Hornets, started with 462 Dastwet, then 919 The Boots, 1625 Getafix the Druid and finally 1020 Sting, unfortunately Sting was stored at a farm and when I enquired about her some time later I was told they had broken her up.

My brother in law also sailed Hornets and his was 609 Flycatcher, he died about 15 years ago, but Flycatcher is still lying in my garden, unfortunately now in a rather poor condition.
Now I have all the fixtures and fittings from both boats and I am wondering if there might be anybody who would like them, Flycatchers hull needs extensive work done on it, but there is a road trailer, 2 Needlespar masts, 2 booms, 2 centre boards, rudders etc , also bags of sails.
If these can be used to encourage others to take up the class, then I am happy to let them go Free of charge.
The only slight difficulty might be, I live in Perthshire.

If anyone is interested, let me know and I'll pass on contact details etc
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Garry R

Re: Hornet restoration/spares etc.

Post by Garry R »

Severe lack of geography Roger. Although Perthshire is in Scotland (10/10 for that one) Aberdeen is about 90miles from the edge of Perthshire and could be a lot further to the Hornet's nest. Hornets are those rather fast things with two people aboard where the lunatic at the front wears a strait jacket attached to a piece of string which in turn is attached halfway up the mast? I think that should I even go near this Hornet's nest I could be in severe trouble though if it was free to good home I am sure that there might be a way of relaying it south gradually although quite how I am uncertain as I generally have a boat in tow when I go much south of Forfar!!
roger

Post by roger »

Thanks for the lesson Garry. My geography o level was a long time ago and as I was at school on the Isle of Wight Scotland seemed a long way away and not very important.

I would be interested in some of the spares like sails and blocks etc but not in needlespar masts or rotten hulls. Been there done that etc. I may contact the chap and see what there is.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
JB9

Post by JB9 »

Hello, I could do with a kicking strap!

Trevor

PS I am now posting under JB9 as I could not get the older log in to work.
Harrier 25
505 7163
roger

Post by roger »

JB9 wrote:Hello, I could do with a kicking strap!

Trevor

PS I am now posting under JB9 as I could not get the older log in to work.
Trevor

I am still waiting for contact details and will forward them when I get them.

Roger
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi Roger Wish I'd known would have looked it over as was in Perth Perthshiire at Easter as Mother-in-law lives at Scone 2mile North of Perth. I will not be heading that far north until Christmas.
Cheers Al
davidh

Post by davidh »

Gary,

and also 'au contraire'!!!

Hornets of that ilk had a funny plank thing, allowing the poor hard pressed crews to recline backwards in comfort.

Well worth trying BUT remember: When Association members advise you "Don't lubricate the plank bearings" they mean just that.

D
(one of a shrinking number of silly plankers)
David H
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi Dave and the other thing you need is plenty of vaseline to sort out the dred plank arse syndrom. Rigdens were especially bad as they had the retaining rope knot on the top just under the throw strap.
Sailed Crewed 625,626, (Plymouth built no retaining lines but a central beam across top of carriage), 785,1456 (Rigden),1460(Doe built less plank arse different retaining system) all boats fitted with Planks. Which were great as my first Hornet when a kid allowed my 16 year old 7 stone nothing girlfriend to crew and we were just as fast as the heavier guys, as She would hang out from the very end of the plank on the jibsheets with her legs wrapped around the last 18 inches of the plank. Down wind being lighter we flew combine weight of the pair of us equal to my present weight, no wonder I sail a Finn now.
Cheers Al
davidh

Post by davidh »

Ha Alan.... showing your age! I think my first Hornet was a planker up at the 'old' Weston - had the dished crew area. The boat was normally sailed by 2 girls, who were very quick when it wasn't too windy! Funnily enough, just around xmas time I bumped into Dereck Ide, who was then the Hornet whizz kid at weston.

Bearing in mind their location, Garry's boats might have been part of the Crammond outfit. Go and have a look Garry, if there are (now rusty) beer cans in the side tanks.... plus evidence of other activities such as the consumption of herbal tobacco (Rizla papers in the crew area a dead give away for that) then..... yes, it's a Crammond boat. Their claim that they needed the 'assistance' to counter act the cold (nay, freezing) waters might just be true!

D
David H
roger

Post by roger »

David I hear pro lube is the thing for Unit planks :o :shock: :lol:

There will be at least one silly planker at BW
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353